Accidentally exposed firearm today GASP!

This is a discussion on Accidentally exposed firearm today GASP! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So, earlier today I stopped at the gas station to pick up some coffee and some chips for a snack. I was carrying my FNX-9 ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Accidentally exposed firearm today GASP!

So, earlier today I stopped at the gas station to pick up some coffee and some chips for a snack. I was carrying my FNX-9 in my Blackhawk Serpa holster at about 4 o'clock. Wearing my thick, long dress-coat. It does a more than adequate job of concealing in the cold months. The way the coat rests naturally on my body, I could probably conceal a freakin' shotgun. Hell, the coat certainly conceals my gut.

Normally I carry my wallet in my back left pocket, so when I reach for it I don't risk lifting up the gun-side of my jacket too high, but today in a hurry I'd put it in my back right pocket without thinking. I was the only one in the gas station (at least I think, I was definitely the only one at the counter). As I went to pay and reached for my wallet, I thought everything was normal, but as soon as I reached for my wallet, I saw the look on the clerk's face change...

He smiled and said "is that an FNP?" and I was a little startled by his question and I said "Actually it's the FNX-9. Sorry! I need to work on making sure it's concealed, don't worry, I'm one of the good guys!"

He then looks around, and lifts up HIS shirt (actually a vest) very slightly and reveals the edge of a gun and says "I carry a Kimber Custom II. I'm thinking about picking up one of those in .40, how do you like it?" I told him I loved it but that I would probably switch it out for something smaller when it gets warmer. He told me he always carries his 1911 regardless of temperature and poked a little fun at me.

Long story short, we ended up talking about guns for several minutes until the next customer showed up. Turns out he frequents the same shooting range I do, we exchanged numbers and now I have a new shooting buddy. Which is good, because a lot of my friends aren't into guns and it'd be nice to compare shot-groups/guns with somebody at the range, and though my girl likes to come with me sometimes, it's more of a learning process with her, rather than a joke around and practice type deal.

I feel like I have good SA, but I think I need to apply it a little more to the situation of my person, not just the area/people around me. I was relieved and pleasantly surprised today, but next time (hopefully won't be one) it might not be in front of someone as gun-friendly. I'm fine legally, as OC is permissible in Ohio, but I'd rather avoid having to explain myself to anyone if I can.
    "Shoot low boys, they're riding Shetland ponies." -Lewis Grizzard

Good story with a good ending. I'm in NE Ohio but I never open carried.

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    worked out well. not every time your made becomes a nites talk with the police at their station
    and another visit to retrieve your property with an attorney the next day.

yup, gotta love Corrupticut.
    tactilame likes this.
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Happy that it ended good and you have a new friend to go to the range with. Might I suggest moving the wallet to the front pocket.

DC
    Good outcome. Next time maybe it'll be a cute female. There is hope.
    yooperdug likes this.

Haven't had a gun spotted, but I have reached for wallet and exposed the spare magazines. The guy ringing me up saw them and asked what was on my belt. I told him it was an twin cell external charger for my pacemaker. He smiled and said he didn't know about those. "Yeah, they've been around for a few years." He said "Cool" and ran the card.
    kerberos, jace33 and yooperdug like this.

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Quite the eventful life you have. For someone who doesn't open carry you seem to have your weapon visible often... Just sayin'
    Okemo likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 21bubba View Post
    Quite the eventful life you have. For someone who doesn't open carry you seem to have your weapon visible often... Just sayin'
    I do open carry sparingly. Usually when getting something from my car. Eventful? I wasn't aware getting chips and coffee was eventful! And if you're trying to assert that I accidentally reveal my firearm often, you're mistaken; this was the first (and hopefully only) time. The only time I'm okay with my pistol being visible to the public is when I deliberately carry exposed.
    "Shoot low boys, they're riding Shetland ponies." -Lewis Grizzard

VIP Member
    I've never had coffee and chips together, I'll have to try that.

When the clerk attempted to ID your gun, I thought that your story was going to turn out okay. Of course an anti would have only screamed GLOCK.

I'm glad it turned out for you and it sounds like the clerk is interested in protecting himself, I wonder what the store policy is? Nevermind I don't want to know.

As far as accidentally exposing one's gun, if you carry concealed enough it's inevitable. I think, no big deal, glad it all worked out for you just the same.
    yooperdug likes this.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

VIP Member
    Sounds like a good all around outcome.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Good outcome. Glad he wasn't a anti-gun sheeple that screamed MWAG! If you don't mind telling, what range do you frequent? If you don't want to post it, you could send me a PM.
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

This is one reason I carry a money clip in my front pocket, no chance of showing my pistol at 3:30.

This is prob the best possible outcome of an accidental exposure. GL

RugerLCP for EDC
    CWFL Florida
    NRA member

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    EDC=Ruger LCP
    Florida CWFL
    NRA Member

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tactilame View Post
    I do open carry sparingly. Usually when getting something from my car. Eventful? I wasn't aware getting chips and coffee was eventful! And if you're trying to assert that I accidentally reveal my firearm often, you're mistaken; this was the first (and hopefully only) time. The only time I'm okay with my pistol being visible to the public is when I deliberately carry exposed.
    I don't believe I'm trying to assert anything. I may be implying something. Like three threads started by you in the last ten days all dealing with some "form" of open carry. I'm mistaken?
    Harryball likes this.

I'd be willing to bet that if the clerk weren't a gun-toting comrade he wouldn't have even noticed. Those of us who CCW are definitely more aware of such things.

Glad it turned out well.

Doc

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links