Guns and grandchildren

This is a discussion on Guns and grandchildren within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am new to the Forum and although I have owned a revolver for many years, I am about to get my CCP in Florida ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Guns and grandchildren

Guns and grandchildren

I am new to the Forum and although I have owned a revolver for many years, I am about to get my CCP in Florida and intend to start to carry concealed. I have two young grandchildren who live near us and are at our house very often. My concern is that one of them accidently get their hands on my handgun while at our house. My thought is to get a metal lock box and keep the gun locked in the box when not being carried by me. I would have the only key which I would wear on a chain around my neck. The problem, of course, is that the gun is not readily available to me in the house should I need it quickly.

I would love to see how others handle this kind of problem.

Thanks.

Ron

2. Remove Ads

There are safes on the market that allow a quick finger combinations that could provide easy access. I have even seen one that allows access with your thumb print. I do not own either one and cannot provide any testimonials. I don't have any children in the house so my guns are very easily reached.

Good Luck.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

Keep the gun on your person when your grandchildren are in your home. Secure from young hands & readily available.

Get a good holster

Get a decent holster, not one of those 30 dollar cheapies. Then you can wear it in the house. Always accessible. If you do need to remove it and you do have kids in the house, then lock it up. One of those quick access finger pad mentioned above will suffice. They are pretty common, cheap (<$100) and easy to use.

As you're primary concern is to prevent access by children, it should be plenty good enough.

Distinguished Member Array p8riot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    I am new to the Forum and although I have owned a revolver for many years, I am about to get my CCP in Florida and intend to start to carry concealed. I have two young grandchildren who live near us and are at our house very often. My concern is that one of them accidently get their hands on my handgun while at our house. My thought is to get a metal lock box and keep the gun locked in the box when not being carried by me. I would have the only key which I would wear on a chain around my neck. The problem, of course, is that the gun is not readily available to me in the house should I need it quickly.

I would love to see how others handle this kind of problem.

Thanks.

Ron

Either I or my wife carry 24/7 at our house. Our 4yr old son is used to seeing either Mommy or Daggy (as he calls me) with a pistol on our hip or in a shoulder holster. If there is any situation that we are not carrying (while showering, etc.), the guns are out of reach or locked up. The idea is that he is growing up around guns, and understands what they are and what they can do. Nevertheless we still keep them out of his reach.

For really quick access we use this:

Gun Vault
    "You can get more with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone." - Al Capone

The second amendment is the reset button of our Constitution.

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    Rapid access gun boxes are a good idea.

So is the idea of always having the weapon on your person. In fact, that makes a lot of sense for reasons in addition to keeping small children from getting hurt.

There is another, little-known option.

www.tarnhelm.com

Look into the Magna-trigger Safety

If your revolver is a certain kind of Ruger or one of several kinds of S&W's, they can make it inoperable except in your hands by means of a magnetic insert into the grip of the gun which can be triggered only by a magnetic ring on one of your fingers.

No kidding.

I'm not sure how young your grandchildren are, but I'd recommend educating them. I was introduced to shooting and guns at a very young age (5) and I've had zero accidents and negligient discharges throughout my life. Proper gun safety will go a really long way.

You could also consider wearing your firearm while at the house. Quite a few of the members on this site do this. Then it will never be in a position where you will have problems with it getting played with during waking hours.

I'd say wear it and then take them shooting as often as possible, so they understand what guns are all about. That help will end their curiosity and will be a great hang with grampa.
    ...one jagged hole!

Distinguished Member Array p8riot's Avatar
    BTW I forgot. Welcome! to the forum.
    "You can get more with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone." - Al Capone

The second amendment is the reset button of our Constitution.

Distinguished Member Array USPnTX's Avatar
    Not to the grandchildren stage yet, but I have four children under the age of 12 at home. Safety is something that I stress to my family. My philosophy is that education is the best tool to keep your kids safe. Since my children have been old enough to talk we began firearms education with them. The NRA also has some great videos/books on gun safety (The Eddie Eagle program).

With that said, when I am at home the gun either stays on me or goes in the minivault. Its made by Gunvault and has been very reliable for me. I have had it about six years now and I would highly recommend them. They have several models to choose from.
    "Do not fear those who disagree with you; fear those that do and are too cowardly to admit it" - Napoleon

We just recently became grandparents. My carry gun is always on my person, other guns are locked in a finger combination safe. At night, my carry gun is in the night stand. I've thought about the future when the grandchildren could access the gun in the nightstand while I'm asleep...a pretty remote possiblility, but better safe than sorry. I plan to install a child lock on the night stand...maybe even always lock the bedroom door.

As soon as I decided to carry, I decided that the safest place for my handgun was on my person. My wife is taking the CHL class next month, and we have been discussing how she will carry. Both of us agree that carrying in her purse is probably not a good idea with kids around...she will need to find a comfortable way to "wear" the gun.
    "Take what you have with what you are, make something of it, and never be satisfied." G.W. Carver

+1 with p8riot's comment on the gun vault with the finger grooves. I have a 12"Wx8"Hx8"D safe with a keypad on the front and "hidden" key override on it. Cost me a whole $30 off eBay with shipping. lol

I'd really like to get the gun vault as p8riot gave a link to, but I had already bought it and it serves its purpose. I have a 14 and 11 yo in the house and when the gun is not on me it's in the safe. They know never to touch them and they don't know the combination. All the adults in the family know the combination if they know how to shoot and the safeties required along with it.

Cheers.

Assistant Administrator
    Hi Ron and welcome.

I carry all waking hours and so my carry piece is holstered and under my control - and that I consider the ideal. I certainly don't want to have to ''find'' a gun in an emergency somewhere else in the house - plus the obvious security advantage if kids around.

I never have to wonder where it is - it is always in one place and heaven forbid I ever need it in anger - I know that reaching down to draw, it will be there, and not left somewhere else!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Lead Moderator
    Welcome to the forum.

My weapons not in use stay in a bolted down lock box. I keep the key on my keychain.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Thanks everyone for your very helpful responses to my post. After digesting what you wrote, I guess that I will try to keep the gun with me most of the time and when not on me I will get and keep it in a mini-vault.

Ron

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links