Special circumstances, is it legal to carry here?

This is a discussion on Special circumstances, is it legal to carry here? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Tonight there was a homeschoolers science fair at a local church that my daughter and I attended. I'm in Wasington state. The whole school event ...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By kelcarry
  • 1 Post By woodstock
  • 1 Post By barstoolguru

Thread: Special circumstances, is it legal to carry here?

Tonight there was a homeschoolers science fair at a local church that my daughter and I attended. I'm in Wasington state. The whole school event but it not being affiliated to the government school system seems like a gray area as far as concealment and firearms go. Also being on church property but the event not being affiliated with the church also seems like a gray area. I ended up attending unarmed but was wondering what you all think.

D
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch, Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote"
    --Benjamin Franklin

"Chop your own wood, and it will warm you twice."
    --Henry Ford

I don't know Washington conceal carry laws, but typically, it depends on who/what owns the property which the event is taking place on, not on if an event is "affiliated" with anything.

For instance, if a community fair is taking place on a post office's parking lot, that would be illegal to carry there as you are on federal property regardless of whether you are there for something "federal" in nature or not. I briefly looked at some resources and didn't see any legal restrictions of carrying on a church property...not sure if there were any signs posted and/or if they carry any legal weight. Don't know WA laws.

You can take my opion with a grain of salt as I'm no expert on Washington States laws but as long as it's not on federal or school property I don't see a problem with cc'ing. That's the beauty of cc'ing... nobody knows.
    Why?? Because at the last second, the Police are minutes away.

VIP Member
    From handgun law.us it sounds like the facility is being used by the school so would be off limits. Homeschoolers are arguably private schools.

RCW 9.41.280:
    (1) It is unlawful for a person to carry onto, or to possess on, public or private elementary or secondary school premises, school-provided transportation, or areas of facilities while being used exclusively by public or private schools" (3) Subsection (1) of this section does not apply to: ... (e) Any person in possession of a pistol who has been issued a license under RCW 9.41.070, or is exempt from the licensing requirement by RCW 9.41.060, while picking up or dropping off a student;
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    We are talking gun laws, which, by definition, are usually insane, stupid, convoluted, and make no sense. Odds are that if you have a question and believe that you can do something--it probably means you cannot.
    ep1953 and MadMac like this.

First: the usual disclaimers; I'm not a lawyer so don't take my opinions as legal advice. I don't live in Washington.

The Washington law reads much like Virginia law on this point. I also read the Washington Attorney General's letter on the subject. A "homeshool" science fair says that there isn't a "public or private school" involved; therefore, the question shouldn't even arise. Homechoolers don't attend either a public or private school; unless the state law specifically defines a "homeshcool" as a private school. I seem to dimly recall that some states may handle homeschoolers that way.

Second point is the "exclusive use" phrase. IF the state regards homeschoolers as a private school, was the church facility closed to every other use during the science fair? If not, and I can't picture any denomination turning away someone who felt they needed to be in the church building, then it isn't "exclusive use".

We have private schools in town which are supported by local fast food (an oxymoron these days!) restaurants who host the school and their families for a few hours one night a month, and donate a portion of profits during the event to the school. But the restaurant isn't closed to anyone else who wanders in for food; therefore, no "exclusive use".

I wouldn't have a problem carrying at such an event, but it'd be concealed so I don't upset the people.

Know the law and follow it. If you don't like a law, work within the system to change it.
    Honk likes this.
    The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good.

George Washington

Thanks all for the input. My initial feeling seemed to have been confirmed by your replies. The majority of my feeling is that it was legal but I had a lingering doubt that wouldn't subside. It's more often than not that I error on the side of being safe/concealed but this time I had that enexplainable feeling that made me not carry. Everything worked out and we had a good time.

D
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch, Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote"
    --Benjamin Franklin

"Chop your own wood, and it will warm you twice."
    --Henry Ford

If you conceal well no one will know unless you have to use your gun in defense of yourself or others. If a nutcase burst in and started shooting up the place and you are there to take him out I don't think anyone will worry about the fact you did it with a concealed handgun.

Carry Always, Ne'er Tell :-)
    "Safety is something that happens between your ears, not something you hold in your hands. " Col. Jeff Cooper

Proud member NRA, VCDL, USPSA, IDPA & DADD ( if you have daughters, you understand )

Why would you risk it; the odds of something happening a slim to none.
    To get caught and lose the right to carry were you really need it doesn't seem like itís worth it
    MadMac likes this.

Links