This subject comes up often....

This is a discussion on This subject comes up often.... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My employer says I can't carry. What should I do? If you decide to break the rules, you probably need to make sure that nobody ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: This subject comes up often....

This subject comes up often....

My employer says I can't carry. What should I do?

If you decide to break the rules, you probably need to make sure that nobody but nobody knows about it, especially if your employer is the school system.

Sevier school bus driver charged with carrying gun on job Knoxville News Sentinel
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

Do you need the job? I would rather follow the rules and not risk it. I say dont carry at work if that is the rule. Other choice is to find another job and then tell them why you quit.
    johnbergsing likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ks kid View Post
    Do you need the job? I would rather follow the rules and not risk it. I say dont carry at work if that is the rule. Other choice is to find another job and then tell them why you quit.
    I agree. Besides carrying on school property is a violation of the law. Still, somebody got wind that she was carrying for her to be confronted in the first place.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

Until recently I worked for a state university and while TECHNICALLY I should have been protected by my states parking lot law, that law had scarcely been tested and not held weight in a couple of previous cases. Therefore I chose to er on the side of caution and not carry for the many years I worked there. I needed the job and I did not want to risk prison time for violating what is considered a no carry zone (within the buildings) according to the states concealed weapons license laws. Did it suck and were there a few times when I really wish I was carrying? absolutely!

Thankfully I now work for a private company that is very gun friendly.
    "Bolt actions speak louder than words."

Here's the rules I have to follow at my workplace:

6819.1(262) Uniform rules of personal conduct.

g. Use or possession on the campus or at or during any university-authorized function or event
    of firearms, ammunition, or other dangerous weapons, substances, or materials (except as expressly
    authorized by the university), or of bombs, explosives, or explosive or incendiary devices prohibited by
    law.

9.1(3) Sanctions.
    a. Any student or member of the faculty or staff who is found after appropriate hearing to have
    violated any of the rules of personal conduct set forth in 9.1(2) may be sanctioned up to and including
    suspension, expulsion, or dismissal.

Ouch!

VIP Member
    We're not talking about breaking employer rules here. We're talking breaking the law. She willfully and knowingly broke the law. When she did this she crossed the line between lawful carry and criminal conduct. No sympathy for her. She deserves whatever punishment she is given.

 Any public or private school building or bus, on any public or private school campus, grounds, recreation area, athletic field or any other property owned, used or operated by any board of education, school, college or university board of trustees, regents or directors for the administration of any public or private educational institution
    The article doesn't say if she had a carry permit, so my guess is she didn't. If convicted she won't have to worry about it anymore. Her felony conviction will take care of her right to own/possess a firearm.
    gottabkiddin likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Gun safe in your car while you're on the job. I have a GunVault NV100 and it works perfect!
    NRA MEMBER
    EDC: Beretta Nano

If she had a CC permit, she of all people should know the rules. Breaking the rules lowers her down a level. The rules like em or hate em, are the only thing seperating us from being illegal. Break the rules and you deserve what ever you get. It's much easier to simply comply with the rules.
    Last edited by WD54241; February 14th, 2012 at 09:27 AM.

Gun safe in your car while you're on the job. I have a GunVault NV100 and it works perfect!

I have the same safe and it works beautifully! No match against bolt cutters, but a hundred times better than the glovebox or console. My place of employment wouldn't exactly fall in the gun-friendly category, but there's nothing in the employee handbook that says it's not allowed, so we pretty much operate under the don't ask-don't tell policy.

Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black in S. FL.
    If jobs were plentiful I'd say to heck with the employer and carry. But guess what, jobs aren't plentiful, and those available aren't paying crap. To me it comes down to putting a roof over the head and food on the plate. Yeah, someone's gonna say "What if you're killed by a crazed coworker," but in all reality I could be diagnosed with terminal cancer tomorrow with the same results. I have to worry about the here and now, and that's providing for family.

Weight the odds, the risks, and how badly you need the job. Then make your own decision.
    DocPMD and jace33 like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

If you do a search, you'd a find at least a couple dozen threads on the topic.

I've had my say in probably half of them. The likelihood of me needing a firearm to defend myself on the job is infinitesimally minuscule compared to being outed at work and fired.

I need my job, and not just for the salary. The job provides me with $1.5 MILLION in life insurance for any cause of death. If I am killed or die while I have this job, my family is taken care of. There's peace of mind right there I can't get with a gun. My wife can hook up with someone new if she wants, and the kids will have all their debts paid.

Quote Originally Posted by DanielC View Post

I have the same safe and it works beautifully! No match against bolt cutters, but a hundred times better than the glovebox or console. My place of employment wouldn't exactly fall in the gun-friendly category, but there's nothing in the employee handbook that says it's not allowed, so we pretty much operate under the don't ask-don't tell policy.
    If it's not posted at the door or in the hand book than your doing fine. I like the don't ask don't tell approach..
    jace33 likes this.

this is simple, your choices are comply or quit, if you carry despite being told not to and get fired over it your prospects for getting other jobs are diminished. the choice is yours to make

We simply are not likely to live long enough to see restrictive CCW policies change to a gun-friendly stance. Even after the economy eventually improves, it does not seem wise to risk losing a decent job over this issue.

40 years at the same place, never had a need for a gun on the job. But almost always had one in the car for the ride home. Had to draw it once and it difussed the problem without firing it.
    yooperdug likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links