Do criminals bother with Conceal Carry permts?

This is a discussion on Do criminals bother with Conceal Carry permts? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; In Illinois they don't allow guns, and the Boyz in the Hood are capping each other all the time. So the brothers can have a ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Do criminals bother with Conceal Carry permts?

Do criminals bother with Conceal Carry permts?

In Illinois they don't allow guns, and the Boyz in the Hood are capping each other all the time. So the brothers can have a gun, but the regular citizens can't? Now in Florida you can get a Concealed Weapon permit, so obviously any self respecting serial killer, bank robber, rapist, or thug will go take a course.

I wonder if the two guys that used AK-47s in the California bank shootout had Concealed Permits? Did the Virginia Tech shooter (Cho) have a CC permit?

I am beginning to think that 'Open Carry' or Concealed Carriers are not the problem, but just maybe the solution.
    Griffworks likes this.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    If you can believe the statistic gathered by Texas, on TX CHL holder's crime rate v the crime rate of the general
    population it would be obvious that criminals are not getting CHLs. They are criminals for heaven's sake. They
    do criminal things. They don't follow rules.

We've had a lot of gun -involved crime here recently. Armed robberies, even murder. When they get caught
    as they usually do, the criminals are almost always UNDER 21, in illegal possession to start with, drug involved,
    gang involved.

When you look at the types of convictions CHL holders have v the convictions from the general population you also find a
    different pattern. There are a few crimes that are specific for improper CHL use and these account for the bulk
    of crimes done by CHL holders. The rest tend to be the usual domestic stuff but at a rate far below that of the
    general population.
    Rock and Glock and Walden like this.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

You are just beginning to think that....?

I am beginning to think that 'Open Carry' or Concealed Carriers are not the problem, but just maybe the solution.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by theskunk View Post
    In Illinois they don't allow guns, and the Boyz in the Hood are capping each other all the time. So the brothers can have a gun, but the regular citizens can't? Now in Florida you can get a Concealed Weapon permit, so obviously any self respecting serial killer, bank robber, rapist, or thug will go take a course.

I wonder if the two guys that used AK-47s in the California bank shootout had Concealed Permits? Did the Virginia Tech shooter (Cho) have a CC permit?

Alllrighty then!

Do criminals choose to spend the money, take the course, then do the waiting period?? Pfft.. We can't get them to get a job (criminal is not an actual career), yet you assume these low-life scum bags would do any more effort than stealing? I HIGHLY doubt it. Now, if you were asking if concealed carriers commit crimes? I would say, without a doubt, it happens. Are serious crimes also commited by concealed carriers? You bet! But, this does not make us all criminals. Not to mention the ratio of those legal carriers who do is very, very low!

If you're interested in what crimes that legal concealed carriers have commited, the info is right on the brady campaign's web site. While I don't like to feed them traffic (hense no link), I do read the antis propaganda from time to time.

Simple answer is NO. Criminals don't obey the laws, so they don't bother with permits. Janq, I believe it was had a signature line which read something like

Criminals aren't detered by laws against rape, murder or such, they aren't going to be detered by laws against guns.

BTW, anyone heard from Janq lately. Sure miss his input to the forum.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

VIP Member
    Why would any criminal spend the money he went to the effort of stealing or robbing on a permit, after all he probably needs it for booze or drugs instead?
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

I think most every compilation of numbers shows that CC permit holders are at least an order of magnitude less likely to be convicted of any crimes relative to the overall population. And the violent crimes (gun related or not) are at an even lesser level.

Is the gun in a holster on the hip of an everyday citizen more or less likely to be the gun that someone gets shot with, compared to the gun in the holster on the hip of a cop? So why do people panic at the sight of an OCer, but not at the sight of a cop?

And when's the last time you saw any story of a real criminal openly carrying his gun in a holster? Or using a good CC holster?
    ~~~~~
    The only common sense gun legislation was written about 224 years ago.

I carry always not because I go places trouble is likely, but because trouble has a habit of not staying in its assigned zone.

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    besides not obaying the law by their nature it is not cost effective for them to get a permit---assuming they get one early
    enough in their life that they still qualify. after their 1st crime for which they are suspect, the police will hold their permit.

that will likly be the last they see it. in CT it cost ~$250 to get it.
    on the other hand...its not like it really cost them anything as they probably stole to get the money.
    all said, rather pointless
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

The ban on guns makes the job of the government much easier. If we make the possession of a weapon illegal then we no longer have to decide who is or is not a bad guy. We can just arrest anyone with a weapon. Much easier this way.

Michael

I was in our local sheriff's office obtaining my pistol license recently. The lady at the desk was telling me that more people are denied licenses than are issued licenses. And most of them lie on their applications thinking their past won't catch with them.
    NRA MEMBER
    EDC: Beretta Nano

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Where did this come from and where is it going?

Administrator
    There is absolutely an element of criminal that does seek out and obtain a permit. To assume that because someone has a permit that they are good and decent is completely foolish.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    There is absolutely an element of criminal that does seek out and obtain a permit. To assume that because someone has a permit that they are good and decent is completely foolish.
    Expound on this a little please. I never knew this and I don't really understand the motive.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

I smell a troll
    Why?? Because at the last second, the Police are minutes away.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links