Arizona gun laws.

This is a discussion on Arizona gun laws. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Is there a specific site that discusses Arizona Gun Laws? I will be traveling to Arizona in a few months. My LTCF is not honored ...

Thread: Arizona gun laws.

Arizona gun laws.

Is there a specific site that discusses Arizona Gun Laws? I will be traveling to Arizona in a few months. My LTCF is not honored so I will open carry where I can. PA is so easy on it's carry limitations compared to other states, and so I am unfamiliar with some of the restrictions I have heard mentioned for other states. ie can't carry into a place that makes 51% profit from alcohol, can't carry in church, amusemment parks. I am aware of PDO, but is there a specific one for AZ? PDO isn't always up to date and I don't wnt to get in trouble out of state with a gun charge of some kind.

2. Remove Ads

Try these links

http://handgunlaw.us/

http://www.dps.state.az.us/ccw/default.asp

After 21 September 2006 Arizona will recognize all State's permits with certain limits.
    http://www.dps.state.az.us/ccw/whatsnew.asp

See #3
    3) Will all other State's permits will be recognized here in AZ? If the permit and permit holder meet these conditions:

1. The permit or license is recognized as valid in the issuing state.

2. The permit or license holder is all of the following:

(a) Not a resident of this state.

(b) Legally present in this state.

(c) Not legally prohibited from possessing a firearm in this state.

This means all government (state, county, city) issued bonafide CCW permits will be recognized in AZ if held by a nonresident AND the permit is valid throughout the state of issue. AZ residents MUST carry concealed using an AZ permit - no other permits will be legal, even if there was a previously signed reciprocal agreement. The DPS will enter into new written agreements with states that require a written agreement. Bottom line: AZ residents cannot use another state's permit to carry concealed in AZ.
    Last edited by DakotaXD; September 1st, 2006 at 05:09 AM. Reason: Added AZ. info about permits.
    "Old Marines never die, we just smell like it." USMC 71'-83'

Stay Safe

DC Founder
    DakotaXD pretty much gave you the websites I would go for up to date information. We're pretty firearm friendly here but there are the carry restrictions you mentioned that we can't quite get changed.

Another one that you might want to be aware of that most people here don't think about are the indian reservations. You are okay while you are on or near (within 100 feet I believe) of a road or highway but I would research the details about open carry on a reservation when going in a store or pumping gas while wearing it....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Thumbs up Happy

When 2074 was signed in June, I became a happy camper.

Had an Az permit since 98, and need to renew at the end of 06. Wifes health does not permit me to travel to AZ to get renewal, so now the trip is not necessay as new law goes into effect before my December expiration date :)).
    Keep the shotgun handy!!

Distinguished Member Array JerryM's Avatar
    My AZ out of state permit is due for renewal in October. I understand that after Sep (21?) there will be no requirement for formal training, but I think the shooting qualification is still up in the air.

It would be good if they would permit that firing to be done by a qualified instructor in the state of residence.
    Not sure how this is going to "flesh out."

Any new information??

Thanks,
    Jerry

Question

Arizona is a one permit state. My Arizona CWP has no address nor does it say anything about nonresident.
    Keep the shotgun handy!!

Ok, well AZ does not have a recognition or receprocity agreement with PA. There are however several states that they do have one with. I could go through EACH states laws to see if I can qualify for a non-resident from one of them, but does anybody already know? Is there a state that has an agreement with AZ that I can get a non-res permit from, without having to go to that state? I do have a qualifying certification of 16 hours of basic pistol training that is less than 6 months old. It would actually qualify for AZ except I didn't take the course IN AZ.

If you go to Arizona after 9-21-06 your Pa. permit will be valid in Arizona. They will recognize all states permits then, and that will be all you will need.

http://www.dps.state.az.us/ccw/whatsnew.asp
    See #3

3) Will all other State's permits will be recognized here in AZ? If the permit and permit holder meet these conditions:

1. The permit or license is recognized as valid in the issuing state.

2. The permit or license holder is all of the following:

(a) Not a resident of this state.

(b) Legally present in this state.

(c) Not legally prohibited from possessing a firearm in this state.

This means all government (state, county, city) issued bonafide CCW permits will be recognized in AZ if held by a nonresident AND the permit is valid throughout the state of issue. AZ residents MUST carry concealed using an AZ permit - no other permits will be legal, even if there was a previously signed reciprocal agreement. The DPS will enter into new written agreements with states that require a written agreement. Bottom line: AZ residents cannot use another state's permit to carry concealed in AZ.
    Last edited by DakotaXD; September 1st, 2006 at 05:05 AM.
    "Old Marines never die, we just smell like it." USMC 71'-83'

Stay Safe

Links