TX CCL question

This is a discussion on TX CCL question within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've accepted a job in TX and will be moving out in May. I've been reading up on the CCL laws but admittedly haven't gotten ...

Thread: TX CCL question

TX CCL question

I've accepted a job in TX and will be moving out in May. I've been reading up on the CCL laws but admittedly haven't gotten through everything. My question for tonight is pertaining to residency. I read on one site that I would have to be a resident for 6 months prior to applying and another site just said getting a TX DL was all. Could someone please clear this up?

Will I have to move my DL and then wait 6 months or just get the DL and apply? I have a current MS CCL now if that help the matter at all.

Thanks guys

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by HKing View Post
    I've accepted a job in TX and will be moving out in May. I've been reading up on the CCL laws but admittedly haven't gotten through everything. My question for tonight is pertaining to residency. I read on one site that I would have to be a resident for 6 months prior to applying and another site just said getting a TX DL was all. Could someone please clear this up?

Will I have to move my DL and then wait 6 months or just get the DL and apply? I have a current MS CCL now if that help the matter at all.
    Thanks guys
    Texas honors Mississippi permit. That should due until you get a Texas permit.
    Concealed Carry Permit Reciprocity Maps

As for applying for a Texas permit you will need a Texas drivers license among other things.

Getting a Texas Concealed Handgun License
    TCHA: Getting a CHL

Texas Concealed Handgun Association Home Page
    Texas Concealed Handgun Association

TEXAS CONCEALED HANDGUN LAWS
    http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/Interne...rms/CHL-16.pdf
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Crowman View Post
    Texas honors Mississippi permit. That should due until you get a Texas permit.
    Concealed Carry Permit Reciprocity Maps

As for applying for a Texas permit you will need a Texas drivers license among other things.

Getting a Texas Concealed Handgun License
    TCHA: Getting a CHL

Texas Concealed Handgun Association Home Page
    Texas Concealed Handgun Association

TEXAS CONCEALED HANDGUN LAWS
    http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/Interne...rms/CHL-16.pdf
    That will depend on if your MS permit is still valid once you move from the state.

Simplest solution is obtain a non-resident permit from a state that Texas accepts.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Welcome to the great state of TX, I have lived in Austin for almost 2 years.
    You must be a resident of TX for 6 months, before applying for a CCL in state.
    as Archer51 stated, You may get around this by having a non resident CCL, mine is "still" from VA.

Enjoy, I am still trying to get use to the Humidity, lived in CA for most of my life, I am not use to "weather".

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Typically, until you meet residency requirements, IF your previous state's CWP is honored in the new state, that remains in effect until you become a resident. Of course, this will vary from state to state, but in FL one has a certain "grace" period when applying for a CWFL and the old state's (if reciprocal) permit is honored.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

You no longer have to be a resident for 6 months. Yes is still reads that way, but it isn't the case.

Once you establish residency, IE change your license, sign a lease on an apartment, buy a house, take a job, whatever, you simply make application and take the course.

Why did they do this, probably because anyone can get a non resident permit, but it simply makes more work for them to issue a non resident permit and then a few months later have to change it to a resident permit.

Welcome to Texas.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Welcome to the great state of Texas!
    An imperfect servant of my Lord and Saviour, Jesus Christ

Buying American made, keeping Americans working
    ....Whenever I still can

What non-shooter are YOU planning on taking to the range?

Links