What activities do you plan for?

This is a discussion on What activities do you plan for? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The replies on another thread that I had started have got me thinking. When you are concealing to go about your everyday business, go to ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: What activities do you plan for?

What activities do you plan for?

The replies on another thread that I had started have got me thinking. When you are concealing to go about your everyday business, go to the mall, store, park etc. what other activities do you plan for? Some people say concealed is concealed, but under what circumstances? When I conceal (XDm 4.5 .40 in a Comp-Tac MTAC @ 4:00) I plan on the usual walking around and having to bend over and really pretty normal range of movement stuff. I've for the first time thought about things like having to administer CPR. If I had to, I'm sure I'd noticeabley print and may even unconceal my weapon. Do people take these kinds of situations into account when planning how well to conceal? In all honesty, it's more likely I'll have to administer CPR than have to use my weapon in defense. It's something I've just started thinking about and wanted others input. Maybe it's time for a smaller tool of the trade that I can conceal under a much wider range of motion.

D
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch, Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote"
    --Benjamin Franklin

"Chop your own wood, and it will warm you twice."
    --Henry Ford

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    If I am administering CPR or digging somebody out of the rubble of a destroyed building I won't be worried about how much I may be printing. I dress for normal daily activity and my weapon is concealed so as to not make itself known during those activities.

I think you are over thinking the whole concealed thing.
    MadMac, msgt/ret, KWAG and 2 others like this.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Providing you are legal to carry, I don't see anybody claiming you're 'brandishing' if your concealed weapon makes an appearance while you save a life.
    And you know I could have me a million more friends, and all I'd have to lose is my point of view. -- John Prine (A Good Time)

VIP Member
    It is impossible to dress/prepare for every situation you might encounter in a day. Go with the norm and don't worry about the emergency situation you might come upon. I'm pretty sure that even the most rabid anti will overlook your gun while you render lifesaving emergency aid.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    You will probably have to work your way through this phase, but try not to make this harder than it is.

I get up, get dressed, put on the gun that goes with the clothes of the moment, get on with life, and don't worry about it. If I change my clothes during the day, I put on the gun that goes with the new clothes. I have some mental checks related to where I'm allowed to carry so if I'm going to the airport, courthouse, post offfice, school, or local State Police substation, I leave the gun at home or plan to leave it in the car safe, as appropriate to the rules.

Rest of the time, I just put on the gun that goes with the clothes and don't think about it again beyond a quick mental check when I leave the house - is the gun allowed where I'm going? Simple. And it works.

One key to being worry free is to work out concealed carry methods with guns that are well suited to your clothes of the moment. If your self image requires packing a Desert Eagle .50, this is going to be difficult. If, on the other hand, you are willing to carry what is easily well concealed with the clothes you are wearing, it's easy. That's why I have a G19, G26, P238, and LCP as carry guns. I pick the most gun I can hide with the clothes I'm putting on. If the P938 turns out to be as good as the P238 (and I shoot it well enough for fast accurate follow up shots), it will replace the P238 in the line up but I won't sell it because I like it so much.

IMO, one buys a primary carry gun. In my case it was the G19 which could work for everything, carry, HD, etc. The second gun to buy is one you can always hide. LCP, P3AT, for example. Then, as finances allow, fill in the line up as you see fit. Since buying the G26 I seldom carry the G19. It sits in the bedside safe wearing a rail light ready to go for night time home defense. I don't like handling it in and out of the safe, light on and off, like I have to do to carry it, so I carry the G26 whenever the clothes allow it.

Spend some time to figure out how to conceal each gun. I have probably spent 40 hours in front of the mirror, or a video camera on a tripod dong various activities so I could see when and how a gun prints over the last 6 years. Learn to reach for things on store shelves with your "other hand". I.e. if right handed, reach'stretch with your left hand. And so forth. Doing things in front of a video camera so you can see yourself from behind is instructive.

To summarize: Have a range of guns so will have at least one you can conceal with whatever you are wearing. Know how to conceal each gun so it won't print, and how to handle yourself so the gun won't print. The clothes pick the gun for you when you get dressed. After that, do a quick mental check when you leave the house to be sure you have a plan for anyplace on your route you aren't allowed to carry.

Fitch
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

sgb
    I don't sweat the small anymore. Accidental exposure of your firearm isn't a crime in the Gunshine state.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

I just put on my gear, a good cover garment and go. No reason to be concerned with stuff that most likely won't happen in a regular day.
    "It is your evil that will be sought by us. With every breath we will hunt them down. Each day we will spill their blood, until it rains down from the skies. Do not kill. Do not rape. Do not steal. These are principles that every man from every faith can embrace." -McManus twins Boondock Saints

Distinguished Member Array Elk Hunter's Avatar
    Normal day to day for me if there is some kind of emergacy I doubt anyone will notice or care, they will be focused on the emergancy. So I am covered 99.999999% of the time

I see no reason to look for an excuse to carry a smaller, less effective gun.
    remington79 likes this.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

I carry based on my dress requirements. For work, I'm required to wear slacks and a dress shirt, with tie. In that case, I use a MiniTuck with my P238 or a pocket holster. If it's the weekend, or I'm going to the store, out to dinner, etc, and I can wear an untucked Polo, I use a SuperTuck with my XD40 subcompact.

Obviously, I would carry my .40 24/7 if able, but I'm not, so I carry what I can, when I can.

I don't worry about it that much. I may chose to carry one of my smaller weapons depending on how I am dressed. My only real concern while carrying is any place that is posted I try to look for the signs but have missed a few. I am one that try to obey the laws.

I carry the same exact rig as the OP, other than my XDm is a 9. And I could not care less if I print. I can usually hide it (or whatever else I grab for the day), pretty darn well, but if someone in the know spots it, big deal.

Like others have said. If you are saving someone else's life accidental exposure of your weapon will not get you the bad guy treatment.

Texas reads intentionally fails to conceal. I think I can argue that while doing CPR my failure to conceal was far from intentional, because if I did just shoot someone, I certainly ain't going to be doing CPR on them.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

VIP Member
    I don't think about it. GA is OC/CC. If I flash someone, it's probably just the guy a Home Depot when I am bending over to get more hardware to repair what I've broken.

Distinguished Member Array matthew03's Avatar
    It is more likely that someone will have the heat too high, the sun will make an appearance on a day that was forecast rain, or you'll need to exert yourself over what you dressed for and need to remove a jacket or cover shirt from your wardrobe causing your once concealed weapon to become less so. I don't worry about printing or a tell so much, very few sheep notice anything other than themselves and what directly concerns them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links