Anti-Gun Mother Suggested Bringing Gun To Play Group

This is a discussion on Anti-Gun Mother Suggested Bringing Gun To Play Group within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; A couple times a week I drag my kiddos out to various kids play groups, programs and such. Most are relatively close to home but ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Anti-Gun Mother Suggested Bringing Gun To Play Group

Senior Moderator

A couple times a week I drag my kiddos out to various kids play groups, programs and such. Most are relatively close to home but one is in the next town over that has had a surprising increase in crime in the last couple of months to include murder and arson (three fires started over the last weekend alone).

While the mothers in these play groups I attend know that I have a permit to carry and that I teach firearms safety classes they have neither asked me or confirmed for themselves whether or not I actually carry to these kids events (which, by the way, I do).

One of the mothers in these groups is particularly anti-gun and refuses to even let her children watch "A Christmas Story" because of the "glorification of the gun" in the movie. When encouraged by other mothers who are taking a pistol class with me in a couple of months to join them she literally covered her face, shook her head and left the room.

This mother and I also work out in a group in the mornings and this morning, while leaving the workout center, I overheard her and a few other people talking about all of the crime in town, particularly the fires.

I said, "Yeah, it's scary. I feel like I should put a fire extinguisher in the diaper bag whenever I go to town."

She looked at me and said, "Probably not a bad idea. And your revolver, too."

I didn't say anything of a response except, "I'll see you later," but I found that to be a particularly interesting moment for this woman.

Little does she know that every time we've gone to town together I have been armed and every time I've been in that kids group I've been profiling outsiders, planning escape routes for myself and the kids, looking for fire extinguishers, carrying a blow out bag, formulating defensive plans... That won't change.

I think of all of the kids in the group as partially my responsibility as we all look after each others' kids. I find it rather interesting that now, given the scare, she seems a little more comfortable with the idea of a gun in the group.

sgb
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Sometimes the things people do and believe, then say or do the complete opposite. Makes life very interesting to say the least.

it's always a "crisis" that seems to push people in the direction that perhaps a firearm isn't so bad after all. Especially in the hands of those who have the expertise to use one.

I hope your Anti Mom doesn't lapse back into her comfort zone after her feelings about the "crisis" goes by the way side.

Good for you though, taking the initiave to be prepared.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

VIP Member
    Lima - just curious about demographics. It sounds like you are hanging with a bunch of mothers of young kids. What percentage would you put into the following buckets (or you can better define the buckets if you want)

- Card carrying CCW and practices CCW
    - CCW holder but does not carry
    - Wants a CCW
    - OK with CCW, but does not want one
    - Anti in principle, but not an activist
    - Anti activist
    - Clueless about the whole SD scene

I am just curious about the thinking of women in the younger generation. You can always just say - bug off old man and that's cool too.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Silence is "GOLDEN"!

There are no atheists in foxholes.
    mel and atctimmy like this.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Anti's are hypocrites.

They don't want a fun around except when it benefits them

*swyped from the evo so excuse any typos*
    It's better to prevent a crime, than to punish it.

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    Good stuff, all of the above.

Most people don't get this, but for me the ability to protect and defend is almost ingrained. After 30 years in the military, I am strongly compelled to continue to use my training and my acceptance of the potential need to use a weapon as a responsibility to others. I long ago accepted the fact that there are times when BG's present and someone has to stand up to them. I accepted that responsibility then, and I stand by it now. If I were in your shoes, I would also consider the entire group as at least partially my responsibility.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

I'm also a closet gun owner, less people know the better.

But I agree with your method and maybe it will take a terrible incident or close call for this woman to wake up...I don't think my wife would let me hand around or work out with other women though.

I think of all of the kids in the group as partially my responsibility as we all look after each others' kids. I find it rather interesting that now, given the scare, she seems a little more comfortable with the idea of a gun in the group.
    So the possible danger has changed her from being extreme anti to being more comfortable with having someone else in the group who can take care of her. Her anti gun hypocrisy is showing.

Well the people who carry quietly, mind their own business, and carefully watch the flock, I think get more respect than we realize. We change the world one person at a time. Be better than the normal population, be the "rock" of society. Be tolerant, be ready. I think if we really knew all who carry we would be shocked. My Dad used to say "it's a long road that does not have a bend in it". Keep it up!
    In a gun fight, you can not miss fast enough, to catch up.

Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post
    A couple times a week I drag my kiddos out to various kids play groups, programs and such. Most are relatively close to home but one is in the next town over that has had a surprising increase in crime in the last couple of months to include murder and arson (three fires started over the last weekend alone).

While the mothers in these play groups I attend know that I have a permit to carry and that I teach firearms safety classes they have neither asked me or confirmed for themselves whether or not I actually carry to these kids events (which, by the way, I do).

One of the mothers in these groups is particularly anti-gun and refuses to even let her children watch "A Christmas Story" because of the "glorification of the gun" in the movie. When encouraged by other mothers who are taking a pistol class with me in a couple of months to join them she literally covered her face, shook her head and left the room.

This mother and I also work out in a group in the mornings and this morning, while leaving the workout center, I overheard her and a few other people talking about all of the crime in town, particularly the fires.

I said, "Yeah, it's scary. I feel like I should put a fire extinguisher in the diaper bag whenever I go to town."

She looked at me and said, "Probably not a bad idea. And your revolver, too."

I didn't say anything of a response except, "I'll see you later," but I found that to be a particularly interesting moment for this woman.

Little does she know that every time we've gone to town together I have been armed and every time I've been in that kids group I've been profiling outsiders, planning escape routes for myself and the kids, looking for fire extinguishers, carrying a blow out bag, formulating defensive plans... That won't change.

Ostrich approach, she left looking for some sand to put her head under! What a defense!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

They could do worse Mel. You'd be an adequate guardian for those kids in nearly any situation I can think of.
    "What does Marcellus Wallace LOOK like?"

Distinguished Member Array Elk Hunter's Avatar
    Some are never willing to defend themselves, always dependent on others to protect them.

VIP Member
    Not really surprised. Most anti's will spend their lives demonizing guns and those who carry them, while at the same time expecting someone else to take responsibility to protect them.

I have a strong feeling that if you needed to use your gun to protect yourself and the kids, the anti would praise you one second, and the next would say you should have used a non-lethal means of doing it.
    DocPMD likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links