Are future background checks waived with WI CCW

This is a discussion on Are future background checks waived with WI CCW within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have been searching for an answer to this question and can not find one, so I thought I would ask everyone here. I read ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Are future background checks waived with WI CCW

Distinguished Member Array sid1's Avatar

Are future background checks waived with WI CCW

I have been searching for an answer to this question and can not find one, so I thought I would ask everyone here. I read that in Utah if you currently hold a Conceal Carry Permit then when you buy a gun the background check is waived? I dont know if thats true or not? But here in Wisconsin is a background check still required each time I buy a gun if I hold a Wisconsin Conceal Carry Permit?

2. Remove Ads

In Wisconsin, back round check is still required with every purchase and 2 day wait on hand guns. That will never change.

Thanks for clearing that up. I guess I was hoping it was the case.

We tried, we are lucky we got the bill we did passed. Looking like it may not last long as it is.

That depends on how STUPID the general population of W.I. is! Granted we need as many permits as possible to catch the eyes of friendly law makers, but the ultimate factor will be at the ballot box! Do we continue on this new path in W.I. or shall we return to the unfriendly 2nd Amendment days? Choice is yours! I like having a balanced budget! and I like my 2nd Amendment rights.
    Last edited by WD54241; February 18th, 2012 at 09:09 AM.
    mjb65, sid1, Liquidcool and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by WD54241 View Post
    That depends on how STUPID the general population of W.I. is! Granted we need as many permits as possible to catch the eyes of friendly law makers, but the ultimate factor will be at the ballot box! Do we continue on this new path in W.I. or shall we return to the unfriendly 2nd Amendment days? Choice is yours! I like having a balanced budget! and I like my 2nd Amendment rights.
    That's a Great point!

It's up to ATF, at least they are the one's that wrote the letter...... notifying our State AG that State's background checks, etc. were sufficient and that anyone with a CC license no longer had to go thru a NICS check to buy a gun.

It has nothing to do with your state laws.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Using the Federal NICS system is optional, here in VA the State Police have their own system, whether they do it every time or not is probably up to the state.

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    It's up to ATF, at least they are the one's that wrote the letter...... notifying our State AG that State's background checks, etc. were sufficient and that anyone with a CC license no longer had to go thru a NICS check to buy a gun.

It has nothing to do with your state laws.
    Yes it does Wisconsin meets all requirements The State will not now or ever do anything to short the wait from 2 days that has been made clear.
    I live here been fighting this battle for 20 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty901 View Post
    Yes it does Wisconsin meets all requirements The State will not now or ever do anything to short the wait from 2 days that has been made clear.
    I live here been fighting this battle for 20 years.
    Where'd you buy your crystal ball of negativity? A couple months ago WI was one of the only two states in the country that didn't allow CCW, now the permits can't be printed fast enough, That is WAY more of an accomplishment than eliminating a 2 day wait which most states have proven pointless. I'm from MA which has some pretty screwed up gun laws, and there's no wait there, If they can live without it, so can WI. You've got pro gun people in the right place. I'm sure the situation will improve. What the state "Makes Clear" today, means nothing tomorrow. Things change.

Quote Originally Posted by Snatale42 View Post
    Where'd you buy your crystal ball of negativity? A couple months ago WI was one of the only two states in the country that didn't allow CCW, now the permits can't be printed fast enough, That is WAY more of an accomplishment than eliminating a 2 day wait which most states have proven pointless. I'm from MA which has some pretty screwed up gun laws, and there's no wait there, If they can live without it, so can WI. You've got pro gun people in the right place. I'm sure the situation will improve. What the state "Makes Clear" today, means nothing tomorrow. Things change.
    I live here we will be lucky if CC does not get repealed in the next 24 months. The effort to do just that has already started.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty901 View Post
    I live here we will be lucky if CC does not get repealed in the next 24 months. The effort to do just that has already started.
    You are absolutely right and IF this (CC) is in jeopardy, but we as citizens of Wisconsin need to step up not let this happen by getting out and vote.
    Last edited by sid1; March 3rd, 2012 at 09:58 AM.

I sure hope that CC is here to stay but the way things are going crazy in this state I am not holding my breath. We'll just have to make our thoughts known at the ballot box.
    sid1 likes this.

Repealing act 35, and 10?! I have attempted to Google any information on what is going on in this area regarding this possibility. Can anyone give a reference as to where this can be collaborated? This would be a step backwards.

I live here in Wisconsin and I never heard of repealing of the ccw law...? News to me..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links