Friend attacked and robbed

This is a discussion on Friend attacked and robbed within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a friend that was recently attacked and robbed while pumping gas. As he got out of his truck someone ran up behind him ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Friend attacked and robbed

I have a friend that was recently attacked and robbed while pumping gas. As he got out of his truck someone ran up behind him and pushed him down. The took his wallet, and computer. The then pistol whipped him and left him lying on the ground.

This happend in South Texas about 30 miles north of Larado.

Im sure with better awarness this could have been prevented. What concerns me is that we work in the oilfield. We aren't allowed to have guns on location. We drive over 700 miles to get to work. If they search our vehicals and find a firearm we are fired. I could care less about a gun on location. I want to be protected while I travel to and from work.

Im about ready to say forget the rules. Find a good hiding spot and keep my gun in the truck.

What about other forms of protection like a baton or lead filled "tire thumped"? ; )

-Be Safe-
    <><

Single drum pulling unit here, iwb m&p 9 every day
    Guns don't kill people, Guns save Lives.

If you want peace, prepare for war

Do they routinely search peoples vehicles on the job site? If so, for what purpose?

I'm not sure about Louisiana or Texas, but in my state, employers are not allowed to ban weapons kept locked in your vehicle in the parking lots even if it is private company property.

I would check the state law about that. If employers are not allowed to ban guns from vehicles in parking lots, then I would get a secure lock box and keep your gun locked when at work.

Having a 700 mile drive to the job site is a lot of travel time not to be allowed to be armed during the drive.
    BkCo1 and tactilame like this.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Where do you park when you get to work? Is this your personal vehicle that you want to transport the gun in and leave the gun in when you are working at the employers location?

If it is your own vehicle you might want to look over this thread since as of Sept 1, 2011 employers can't prohibit you from keeping a gun inside your vehicle if you are legal under many circumstances.

Texas "parking lot" bill signed into law

Here is a link to the actual legislation.

Texas Legislature Online - 82(R) Text for SB 321
    oneshot and raytracer like this.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Is parking off of company property an option? (Slightly farther walk but you are compliant with most companies "No guns on company property" policy.)

It seems there are special restrictions for people who work where gas, oil and other minerals are being drilled or mined. Be sure to get a legal interpretation of the laws regarding your work site. Below is what I found at

Handgunlaw.us (Texas)

Parking Lot Storage Law
    Labor Code Subchapter G

52.061. Restriction on Prohibiting Employee Access to or Storage of Firearm or Ammunition.
    A public or private employer may not prohibit an employee who holds a license to carry a
    concealed handgun under Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code, who otherwise lawfully possesses a firearm, or who lawfully possesses ammunition from transporting or storing a firearm or ammunition the employee is authorized by law to possess in a locked, privately owned motor vehicle in a parking lot, parking garage, or other parking area the employer provides for employees.

Sec.A52.062.AA EXCEPTIONS.
    (a) Section 52.061 does not:
    (1) authorize a person who holds a license to carry a concealed handgun under Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code, who otherwise lawfully possesses a firearm, or who lawfully possesses ammunition to possess a firearm or ammunition on any property where the possession of a firearm or ammunition is prohibited by state or federal law; or
    (2) apply to:
    (A) a vehicle owned or leased by a public or private employer and used by an
    employee in the course and scope of the employee ’s employment, unless the
    employee is required to transport or store a firearm in the officia discharge
    of the employee ’s duties;
    (B) a school district;
    (C) an open-enrollment charter school, as defined by Section 5.001, Education
    Code;
    (D) a private school, as defined by Section 22.081, Education Code;
    (E) property owned or controlled by a person, other than the employer, that is
    subject to a valid, unexpired oil, gas, or other mineral lease that
    contains a provision prohibiting the possession of firearms on the
    property; or
    (F) property owned or leased by a chemical manufacturer or oil and gas refiner
    with an air authorization under Chapter 382, Health and Safety Code, and on
    which the primary business conducted is the manufacture, use, storage, or
    transportation of hazardous, combustible, or explosive materials, except in
    regard to an employee who holds a license to carry a concealed handgun
    under Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code, and who stores a firearm
    or ammunition the employee is authorized by law to possess in a locked,
    privately owned motor vehicle in a parking lot, parking garage, or other
    parking area the employer provides for employees that is outside of a
    secured and restricted area:
    (i)A that contains the physical plant;
    (ii)A that is not open to the public; and
    (iii)Athe ingress into which is constantly monitored by security personnel.
    (b) Section 52.061 does not prohibit an employer from prohibiting an employee who holds a license to carry a concealed handgun under Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code, or who otherwise lawfully possesses a firearm, from possessing a firearm the employee is otherwise authorized by law to possess on the premises of the employer ’s business. In this subsection, "premises" has the meaning assigned by Section 46.035(f)(3), Penal Code.

Sec.A411.203.AARights of Employers. This subchapter does not prevent or otherwise limit the right of a public or private employer to prohibit persons who are licensed under this subchapter from carrying a concealed handgun on the premises of the business. In this section, "premises" has the meaning assigned by Section 46.035(f)(3), Penal Code.
    Note: This is not the complete law on Parking Lot Storage. See Texas Statutes for complete Law.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

(E) property owned or controlled by a person, other than the employer, that is
    subject to a valid, unexpired oil, gas, or other mineral lease that
    contains a provision prohibiting the possession of firearms on the
    property; or

Im on the rig for weeks at a time. They search from time to time. (I have never been searched) The property is leased by the oil company.
    I do have a north american arms .22mag that goes every where with me.

What me and a fellow employee have talked about is that their rules keeping us from having a weapon on location endangers us to and from work.

The way I see it is that I can get another job. I can't get another life.
    ironmike86 likes this.

Doesn't matter. A gun wouldn't have helped him in that situation. But 4oz of pepper spray will stop most ppl. Need to pay attention to your surroundings

Are you saying that you keep a 22 mag with you even when you are on the rig?
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Awarness would have prevented this. I always stop at the same spots to get gas. Usually truck stops. That way lots of people are around. I pay attention to what goes on around me.

I won't even sit with my back to the door at a restraunt. I want to know whats coming thru the door.
    tcox4freedom likes this.

Are you saying that you keep a 22 mag with you even when you are on the rig?

North american arms 5 shot revolver. It is locked and hidden in my personal truck.

You aren't making much sense. In your original post you say you're prepared to break the rules and keep a gun in your truck because you don't want to travel without a gun.

Now you say you already break the rules and keep a gun in your truck. Which is it, or are you just being a Troll?
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Why would you think Im being a Troll.

I posted this to bring awarness to what can happen when you dont pay attention.

I carry my .22 in my personal vehical securly locked when I'm not in it. I would perfer to carry either my .40 or .45.

If you are already breaking company policy and possibly the law, what difference does it make what caliber gun you have?
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links