Arizona University police chiefs lobby against guns on campus

This is a discussion on Arizona University police chiefs lobby against guns on campus within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; University police chiefs lobby against guns on campus | azfamily.com Phoenix...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Arizona University police chiefs lobby against guns on campus

Arizona University police chiefs lobby against guns on campus

2. Remove Ads

"I have a great appreciation for guns, but I've seen tragedies occur when people didn't handle guns properly, or made bad decisions about the use of firearms," said UA Police Chief Anthony Daykin.

We've also seen one of the worst mass murdering sprees at a university that didn't allow carry on campus.
    jrclen likes this.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote." ~ Benjamin Franklin

A thought for the pool

Limiting CCW is like making it harder for the sober people to drive cars. If you were some dude with an AK 47 running into a room would you rather be relatively sure that nobody is carrying, or would you run the chance of running into a room, everyone in there plus out a firearm and drops you.

Matter of thought there is actually a darwin award for a guy who did that, he tried to hold up a gun store in texas.

Lets just say I would like to be armed and not a sitting duck.

The UDPS at Sul Ross takes around 15 min at least on average to respond to almost anything, what makes people think that just because there is an active shooter that response time would go down. The number of students in the room whom I know would be carrying are already there.
    Si vis pacem, para bellum

"Lord, what fools these mortals be."

Standard college-cop line, we've got our hands full with drugs and booze and kids abusing them, let's not add guns to the mix. One major flaw with that thinking is that maintaining the "gun free zone" status will somehow present a deterrent to those bent on mayhem. Beyond that, one has to be 21 or older to carry legally in AZ, which already presents a filter of sorts since the largest population of undergraduates is younger than 21. Next, let's look at the record: how effective have campus cops been in Phoenix, Tucson and Flagstaff at preventing armed robbery and assaults, including sexual assaults? I think the short answer is "not very." Quoting Dr. Phil - "so how's that working out for you?" I say the status quo hasn't worked too well, let's try treating adult students like adults and let them carry as they see fit.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Standard college-cop line, we've got our hands full with drugs and booze and kids abusing them, let's not add guns to the mix.
    Many of my LEO friends have this attitude. If it makes their job hard they want it banned. For them guns are an easy way to tell the difference between good guys and bad guys. When you allow the good guys to carry it makes their job harder.

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    Many of my LEO friends have this attitude. If it makes their job hard they want it banned. For them guns are an easy way to tell the difference between good guys and bad guys. When you allow the good guys to carry it makes their job harder.

Michael
    With all due respect to your LEO friends, they would be seriously challenged if they worked in Arizona... I doubt there are many here in law enforcement who don't assume as a fact of life that nearly every adult is likely to be armed.
    SpencerB likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Michael
    That's why in Cities with restrictive gun laws Cops in plainclothes seem to get shot by uniformed Cops a lot,he had a gun and he wasn't wearing a uniform so he musta been a bad guy
    SpencerB and mlr1m like this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by killam1357 View Post
    Limiting CCW is like making it harder for the sober people to drive cars. If you were some dude with an AK 47 running into a room would you rather be relatively sure that nobody is carrying, or would you run the chance of running into a room, everyone in there plus out a firearm and drops you.

Matter of thought there is actually a darwin award for a guy who did that, he tried to hold up a gun store in texas.

Lets just say I would like to be armed and not a sitting duck.

The UDPS at Sul Ross takes around 15 min at least on average to respond to almost anything, what makes people think that just because there is an active shooter that response time would go down. The number of students in the room whom I know would be carrying are already there.
    Gunny & Glock - Wrong Diner - Extended Version - YouTube
    Move. Shoot. Survive. ― The "Unofficial" Suarez International Doctrine

“The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress and grows brave by reflection.” ― Thomas Paine

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    Just comparing the statistics between Colorado State where CCW is allowed and University of Colorado where it isn't should end the argument. Those opposed are willfully ignoring the evidence that conclusively says they are wrong. Period. Full Stop.

And to all the LEO's who want to assume only bad guys have guns to make your job easier, you are saying in effect, "we don't care if you are defensless or dead because it makes our job easier". Serve and protect? Really? Seriously? They actually think policies that result in the citizens being defensless and maybe dead is OK because it makes their job easier? That is scary wrong headed.

Fitch
    BkCo1 likes this.
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

Michael
    My LEO friends(in Arizona) definitely do not have this attitude and it's a good thing because they can't afford to have that attitude in Arizona. I assume everyone is armed.

Most LEO's I know want tight gun control. I have not taken an official poll but I know 4. One LEO thinks for hunting and target shooting only. She is the extreme. The other 3 feel that only LEO's and few civilians are rresponsible enough for guns. But they do stop short on saying no. They support the 2A to varying degrees. Funny thing is they like a lot of folks I know think ex military are experts with guns. Most of the army does not handle firearms much and when they do it is in a very controlled setting.

Distinguished Member Array Elk Hunter's Avatar
    Colorado State has not had a problem, and I don't think it is because they are smarter and certianly there is not a lack of booze in the area.

"It's a straw argument," said Gould at the Capitol on Thursday, "You don't see it happen in Starbucks. You never see someone whip out a gun and have a battle."

Good point!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

ASU President Michael Crow has said he fears a scenario in which a gunman enters a lecture hall, and several gun-toting students start firing at him at once.

I guess he's afraid the bad guy might get hurt.
    Shall not be infringed means - shall not be infringed.
    Member - NRA
    John

Concealed carry has been happening in schools and universities in Utah for years without any ill affects.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links