H.R.822 - National Right-to-Carry Reciprocity Act of 2011

This is a discussion on H.R.822 - National Right-to-Carry Reciprocity Act of 2011 within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; H.R.822 - National Right-to-Carry Reciprocity Act of 2011 -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- After taking a required CCW course, applying for CFP Permit and recieving same Permit today,after 38 ...

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast
Like Tree110Likes

Thread: H.R.822 - National Right-to-Carry Reciprocity Act of 2011

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After taking a required CCW course, applying for CFP Permit and recieving same Permit today,after 38 days here in Elko County Nevada and Joining the NRA Last night. I'm feeling pretty "Froggy" now. So I Sat down and wrote to Nevada Senator Dean Hellar and Nevada Senator Harry Reid and asked them both to support H.R.822 - National Right-to-Carry Reciprocity Act of 2011. Waiting for there response on this Bill! I hope everyone else will join me in writing to there Senators about this Bill and ask them for their support!!!

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by oldfart View Post

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After taking a required CCW course, applying for CFP Permit and recieving same Permit today,after 38 days here in Elko County Nevada and Joining the NRA Last night. I'm feeling pretty "Froggy" now. So I Sat down and wrote to Nevada Senator Dean Hellar and Nevada Senator Harry Reid and asked them both to support H.R.822 - National Right-to-Carry Reciprocity Act of 2011. Waiting for there response on this Bill! I hope everyone else will join me in writing to there Senators about this Bill and ask them for their support!!!
    Sorry O.F.,I cannot support your request...
    Five minutes before the prom is no time to learn how to dance.Semper Paratus

Sorry OF, I can’t support it either.

Luckily, HR 822 is collecting dust in committee.

HR 822 is:
    In itself Unconstitutional.
    It attempts to lend legitimacy to Unconstitutional state law(s)
    CA, NJ, MD, and possibly others will NOT accept this without a fight and will take it to the Supreme Court and they have a good chance of winning. Even if they by some remote chance did lose, it would be simple for them to join IL and abolish their permit systems.

I see well maybe I need to do some more extensive research on the subject, but as I am aware with out this bill the good ol USA politicians will never get on board and give us a National Right to Carry in all States. We wil always be subject to each States laws and will always be fighting for our 2nd admendment rights. I believe that the 2nd admendment is and should be our right and Law but really dont see our politicians getting on board and really defending the 2nd admendment. I could be Wrong and if so please let me know how I am wrong I keep and open mind and am wiilling and wanting to know the proper stance to save these rights f ours.

OF,

Yes, to fully understand 822, and many other issues, you will need to do some research. But don’t feel bad. We all had to start our research at some point. You Sir, appear to be willing to look into it yourself. So many are not.

There are a number of members here who can point you in a certain direction for your research. Just let us know. Help is here.

Click on "Constitution Watch" in my signature. There is a wealth of info there, not only on 822, but other issues as well.

Chris

oldfart,
    I'm torn on this issue as well... I have decided NOT to support it... based on what I've learned here... Any time the Federal Government get involved, it requires tax money, and manpower (=more tax money) to implement.

The second should cover everyone. But it doesn't cover Illinois residents. And, right now , we have states that DO reciprocate with one another and others that don't... for various reasons.

If you have a national law requiring reciprocity between all states that issue permits for whatever reason, but do not require reciprocity for states that do not issue, it is quite possible that those that do not reciprocate with some other states (for whatever reason) may decide it is easier to not issue permits to their own citizens (making them like Illinois) rather than deal with permits from states they have chosen not to reciprocate with under their current laws.

It doew open up a can of worms, certainly... and I have yet to see anything that the Federal Gov't does, even with the best intention, not turn out to be a cluster flop in the end... (Consider SS, Medicare, Veteran's Benefits et al).
    To say nothing of infringing on states rights... In most cases, the Constitution limits the role of the federral government, and allows the states to do as they please. When prohibition started for example, it applied to all states... but when it was repealed, I believe there were still some "dry states" after the fact, and there are still "dry counties" in some states, today (I am pretty sure).

And to me, that's where the "can of worms" is, Constitutionally speaking. SCOTUS has ruled that some restrictions on keeping arms can continue, based on STATE laws. Which seems Constitutionally correct (allowing STATES their own rights to laws passed by their own (ahem) represenatative bodies), yet the Second says "...the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed." And so it should apply to all the people in this country... and have nothing to do with state regulations.

I choose not to support it. others have chosen differently.. and honestly, originally , I thought it was a good idea, after all it works with Driver's Licenses...
    yooperdug likes this.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

I see well maybe I need to do some more extensive research on the subject, but as I am aware with out this bill the good ol USA politicians will never get on board and give us a National Right to Carry in all States. We wil always be subject to each States laws and will always be fighting for our 2nd admendment rights. I believe that the 2nd admendment is and should be our right and Law but really dont see our politicians getting on board and really defending the 2nd admendment. I could be Wrong and if so please let me know how I am wrong I keep and open mind and am wiilling and wanting to know the proper stance to save these rights f ours.
    Roger what varmiter said,Farts.
    It may sound good to have a national law put in place,but that in itself can be all the antis and other special interest groups need to finally get a leg up.
    I commend your enthusiasm though,and congrats on your CC.
    Be responsible.

By the logic I see here, if I were an Illinois resident I guess I couldn't support a concealed carry permit law, as it would be unconstitutional. Almost all of our gun laws are unconstitutional, no? But if we supported only constitutional ones we would have no freedom to carry, correct? I think, unfortunately, we have to take what we can get and national reciprocity would be nice imo. I support H.R. 822.

If a Bill like this were to past we could count the number of days when there would be No CC or open carry at all.
    Think about what a Bill all states would agree on.
    TN_Mike likes this.

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    Oldfart, I personally support H,R. 822. I previously contacted my representative and received a phone call from one of his aides to discuss the subject. During the call I learned that my representative is one of the cosponsors of this bill, so obviously he supports it. So far, in my opinion the reasons against H.R. 822 mostly amount to FUD (Fear, Uncertainty, and Doubt) about what might happen should this bill pass. Unfortunately, this concern is not entirely without merit. For example, in my state some major gun rights legislation recently took effect and one of the changes was permitting carry in municipal parks except those with specific "athletic" facilities. Many municipalities have taken to trying to declare the entire park an "athletic" facility using a loop hole in the bill. I raised the FUD question with my representative's aide during the call and was told that they felt that this bill would do a lot of good for a lot of people and acknowledged that it is possible for bad legislation to be proposed at any time, even independently of H.R. 822 and that it should be dealt with as it occurs. Obviously, you will need to do your own research and make up your own mind.
    tcox4freedom likes this.

H.R. 822 sounds good on the surface...but go an inch deep into it and it sound scare you...

I don't want this federal government anywhere near concealed carry laws...
    TN_Mike and Freedom Doc like this.
    VCDL Member
    "Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready."
    Theodore Roosevelt

Well, you've got yourself painted with a target for the closet Antis on this forum who are against the bill... I appreciate your courage.

I wrote my congresscritters expressing my support and got the nice generic "we'll be sure and keep your views in mind when we vote" response I get on everything else. Gotta love political doublespeak.
    There are four boxes to be used in the defense of liberty: soap - ballot - jury - ammo

“The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie: deliberate, continued, and dishonest; but the myth: persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic.”
    -- John F. Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by livewire9880 View Post
    Well, you've got yourself painted with a target for the closet Antis on this forum who are against the bill... I appreciate your courage.

I wrote my congresscritters expressing my support and got the nice generic "we'll be sure and keep your views in mind when we vote" response I get on everything else. Gotta love political doublespeak.
    Closet antis ,eh? Im ready for an explanation on this...

Quote Originally Posted by yooperdug View Post
    Closet antis ,eh? Im ready for an explanation on this...
    Simple explanation... I'm getting really tired of people who pretend to support firearms ownership and the second amendment oppose every piece of legislation that would actually protect firearms carry.
    There are four boxes to be used in the defense of liberty: soap - ballot - jury - ammo

“The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie: deliberate, continued, and dishonest; but the myth: persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic.”
    -- John F. Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by livewire9880 View Post
    Simple explanation... I'm getting really tired of people who pretend to support firearms ownership and the second amendment oppose every piece of legislation that would actually protect firearms carry.
    "pretend" "oppose every piece of legislation" . Too funny.
    You are sadly mistaken if you believe that big government will protect your rights any better than state or local law makers.
    TN_Mike likes this.

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Links