AZ Crew: I have a question about concealed carry.

This is a discussion on AZ Crew: I have a question about concealed carry. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am moving back to AZ next week after having been gone the last couple years. Currently I am a Kansas resident and I do ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: AZ Crew: I have a question about concealed carry.

AZ Crew: I have a question about concealed carry.

I am moving back to AZ next week after having been gone the last couple years. Currently I am a Kansas resident and I do not have a CCW out here. I reviewed the AZ gov site and handgunlaw.us and this is the way I understand it. Once I am out there next week I can carry concealed as a non-resident with the exception of posted businesses and places serving alcohol. Most of the verbiage I saw talked about concealed carry as an Arizona resident but I was unsure about it being as I won't technically be an AZ resident again for six months. I wanted to put it out there to the AZ crew to see if you could shed some on it for me? Also I was unclear about the law regarding informing a police officer of a firearm during a traffic stop? Thanks.

2. Remove Ads

Reference: http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/arizona.pdf

If you are a US citizen 21 or older and you can legally own a gun, you can legally carry a concealed weapon in AZ in all places not specifically off-limits (see the reference for that) - CCW not required.

Regarding a traffic stop, you are not required to volunteer that you are armed, but you must answer truthfully if asked.

That's pretty much it. Pretty simple, huh?

BTW, welcome to the forum. Whereabouts in AZ are you moving to?
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Thanks Smitty that's what I thought but I wanted to clarify. I am moving to the North Phoenix area. Thanks for the welcome.

Not that I ever would but what is the penalty in found by law enforcement carrying in a posted business. In Kansas a concealed carry license holder is given a ticket for the first offense and then progressively increases from there. I never got my CC in Kansas but would minimize my exposure to posted businesses out of principle.

Quote Originally Posted by Variable13 View Post
    Thanks Smitty that's what I thought but I wanted to clarify. I am moving to the North Phoenix area. Thanks for the welcome.

Not that I ever would but what is the penalty in found by law enforcement carrying in a posted business. In Kansas a concealed carry license holder is given a ticket for the first offense and then progressively increases from there. I never got my CC in Kansas but would minimize my exposure to posted businesses out of principle.
    Unless the posted private business is an alcohol-serving establishment (carrying there even with a permit would be a misdemeanor), all those signs have no legal meaning in AZ. The most they can do is to ask you to leave (which they, as a private business owner, can do regardless of whether you are armed or not). If you refuse to leave when requested, you may be arrested for criminal trespassing. That's it.

yup gasmitty pretty much summed it up, AZ is simple!

Quote Originally Posted by SpencerB View Post
    yup gasmitty pretty much summed it up, AZ is simple!
    AZ is simply great!
    tbrenke likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by nizachon View Post
    AZ is simply great!
    My bad, you are correct!

Unless the posted private business is an alcohol-serving establishment (carrying there even with a permit would be a misdemeanor).
    This is false.

According to "Handgunlaw.us," with a permit, you can carry into an establishment which serves alcohol. Without the permit, you cannot.

These are the ONLY places restricted to those of us with permits:

Prohibitions on carrying firearms in these venues apply to both open and concealed carry.
     Any establishment or event open to the public where the operator makes a reasonable request for you
    to give them custody or remove the weapon from the premises. A sign would qualify for such
    request. By law, cities and counties are required to offer on-site storage if they ban weapons but not
    all are in compliance.
     The grounds of any school, other than the parking lot. In order to be legal in the parking lot the
    weapon must be unloaded, and, if left in an unattended vehicle, such vehicle must be locked and the
    weapon out of sight.
     Commercial nuclear or hydroelectric generating stations.
     Polling places on Election Day.
     Correctional facilities (this includes the parking lot of such facilities).
     Game refuges (except during an authorized hunt).
     You can take a firearm onto school property if you follow the procedure below.

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/arizona.pdf

Carry in Restaurants That Serve Alcohol:

YES

Note: A “YES” above means you can carry into places like described below. “NO” means you can’t.
    Handgunlaw.us definition of “Restaurant Carry” is carry in a restaurant that serves alcohol. Places
    like Friday’s. Chili’s or Red Lobster. This may or may not mean the bar or the bar area of a
    restaurant. But you can carry your firearm into a restaurant that serves alcohol and sit and eat
    without consuming. Handgunlaw.us recommends you not sit at the Bar or in the Bar area of such
    restaurants. In some states it is illegal to be in the Bar area of such restaurants. Handgunlaw.us
    believes you should never consume alcohol when carrying your firearm. In some states it is illegal to
    take even one drink while carrying a firearm. If you want further info on carrying in places that serve
    alcohol check your state laws.
    Move. Shoot. Survive. ― The "Unofficial" Suarez International Doctrine

“The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress and grows brave by reflection.” ― Thomas Paine

Unless the posted private all those signs have no legal meaning in AZ. The most they can do is to ask you to leave (which they, as a private business owner, can do regardless of whether you are armed or not). If you refuse to leave when requested, you may be arrested for criminal trespassing. That's it.
    I would beg to differ here. If you ignore a properly posted sign, you have, in fact, "refused to leave" by entering past the sign. At that point, you are guilty of trespass. In reality, however, most business owners, if they discovered that you are carrying, would likely be satisfied if you were to leave at the time they discover you.

YMMV

Lon

There is some misinformation being put out here.

The first, and most likely the most important is posted establishments, the posting CARRIES FULL WEIGHT OF THE LAW. In other words, the instant you enter, if caught, you can be cited on the spot. They do NOT have to ask you to leave. Handgunlaw.us confirms this.

KS issues non resident permits. You might consider converting your KS permit to non resident. AZ does not issue a non resident permit. All permits are the same and an AZ permit is easy enough to get and not that expensive. Your KS permit will most likely serve as your training/course requirements.

Now, don’t get mislead about ARS 4-229. There are specific signing requirements if an alcohol serving establishment wishes to post under 4-229. However, they can completely bypass 4-229 by posting ANY gunbuster sign at the entrance(s) and accomplish the same thing again with the full weight of the law. It is we, the CCW carrier who must fulfil 4-229. To carry in an alcohol serving establishment that is NOT posted, we MUST conceal, and we must have a valid permit. An out of state permit will suffice.

Welcome to the Cactus Patch.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Varmiter View Post
    To carry in an alcohol serving establishment that is NOT posted, we MUST conceal, and we must have a valid permit. An out of state permit will suffice.

Welcome to the Cactus Patch.

Chris
    Add to that, we MUST NOT consume alcohol. That shoul pretty much go without saying, but you never know.

Lon

Yep, you never know.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Hawk View Post
    This is false.

According to "Handgunlaw.us," with a permit, you can carry into an establishment which serves alcohol. Without the permit, you cannot.
    Let me quote my own post:

Unless the posted private business is an alcohol-serving establishment (carrying there even with a permit would be a misdemeanor), all those signs have no legal meaning in AZ.
    So what exactly did you find "false" here? That just entering a posted alcohol-serving business armed (even assuming that your gun is concealed, you have a CCW permit, and don't consume alcohol) would qualify as misdemeanor?

Quote Originally Posted by Teufelhunde View Post
    I would beg to differ here. If you ignore a properly posted sign, you have, in fact, "refused to leave" by entering past the sign. At that point, you are guilty of trespass. In reality, however, most business owners, if they discovered that you are carrying, would likely be satisfied if you were to leave at the time they discover you.

YMMV

Lon
    this is the correct interpretation of AZ law, the other guy is all wet

Just Entering.......yep you got it if the establishment is posted.
    And the posting DOES carry the full weight of the law.

You are free to look up the relevant sections of the ARS. After all, a number of us here already did.

Chris

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links