Taught My First CHCL Class Today

This is a discussion on Taught My First CHCL Class Today within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The class consisted of AD USAF, all of whom I worked with prior to my Retirement. I've shot with most of them, so it was ...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By Griffworks
  • 2 Post By RETSUPT99

Thread: Taught My First CHCL Class Today

Taught My First CHCL Class Today

The class consisted of AD USAF, all of whom I worked with prior to my Retirement. I've shot with most of them, so it was a pretty easy class, overall. We qual'd at an Ark. Game & Fish commission outdoor range, which is where the fellas wanted to go.

Lots of fun, excellent questions and very enjoyable for all involved.
    Diddle and ktulu92fs like this.
    Arkansas Concealed Carry Instructor #12-751

If guns kill people, then:
    Pincels miss spel werds;
    Cars make people drive drunk;
    And spoons made Rosie O'Donnel fat.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Congrats on your first class.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Congrats!

Sounds fun.

So vis pacem, para bellum
    Si vis pacem, para bellum

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Congrats. And some say AF personnel can't shoot straight... Phooey.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

My CHCL class had VERY minimal information and there was no discussion of when and where it would be advisable to use a gun in self defense. In fact I was surprised with how little valuable information was given. For such a serious subject it was VERY minimal. (BTW...There is much more valuable information given on this site.)

Perhaps there is a legal issue involved when it comes down to advising people of when it would it be OK to shoot someone. The only advice they would give was..."if you feel your life is in danger". I don't believe that's a good enough answer. After all, that is a wide open door to different interpretations of what you may consider life threatening and how I may feel different in the same situation.

I'd like to suggest that the training for CC be brought up a notch to better inform people of different scenarios. Give some real life examples of when a gun would be used and when it's not. If it's a legal issue then perhaps you could suggest this forum as recomended reading.
    "Confidence is food for the wise man but liquor for the fool"

Senior Moderator
    Excellent. How many did ya have it the class?
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Congrats on your first class!

Down through the years, I have always found that I learned a bit more teaching, rather than taking a class...in any area of knowledge!
    Preparation makes you think more and student questions stimulate a more thorough understanding.OMO
    Diddle and Mike1956 like this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array Elk Hunter's Avatar
    Congratulations, now go read the thread about the instructor that shot one of the students and make sure you never do the same.

Hahahaha ^^^ this. Congrats on the success! I am planning on taking my wife sometime soon when the sheriff around here gets to doing them!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sig35seven View Post
    My CHCL class had VERY minimal information and there was no discussion of when and where it would be advisable to use a gun in self defense. In fact I was surprised with how little valuable information was given. For such a serious subject it was VERY minimal. (BTW...There is much more valuable information given on this site.)

Perhaps there is a legal issue involved when it comes down to advising people of when it would it be OK to shoot someone. The only advice they would give was..."if you feel your life is in danger". I don't believe that's a good enough answer. After all, that is a wide open door to different interpretations of what you may consider life threatening and how I may feel different in the same situation.

I'd like to suggest that the training for CC be brought up a notch to better inform people of different scenarios. Give some real life examples of when a gun would be used and when it's not. If it's a legal issue then perhaps you could suggest this forum as recomended reading.
    The reason why most Instructors won't tell you when you can and can't shoot is because if some Dimwit shoots his neighbor because he was cutting across his lawn,the guy can't say so and so told me I could.
    In my course they gave possible scenarios and then asked what would you do.They also stresses what the Law said when it came to use of deadly force.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Congrats on getting your first class under your belt...Stay safe AND continue your own training...
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

Quote Originally Posted by Sig35seven View Post

Self education of your states laws and this forum and reading "in the gravest extreme".

I re-read my state laws on concealed carry and lethal force a couple times a year.

The concealed carry class was to get you competent enough to carry a weapon safely and legally. There are training classes that will go into more detail on when you should and can shoot.

LEO's have to take continuing education on when to shoot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks, fellas! Appreciate that input.

Dukalmighty's got it on why the instruction isn't as detailed as some folks would prefer. I include some basic scenario based discussion, but I'm not certified for that sort of actual training. I include additional information, however, to include a handout on where to look for additional information and stress formal training.

‎*Think* I've got a class lined up for 3 March in a town about 40 miles away. Five or six in the class. Still waiting for 100% confirmation from the organizer, tho...

Got a call from a co-worker last night who lives in a town about 20 miles away. He's lining me up for another class with a church group. Looks like 10 to 15 folks. Date for next month to be determined. :-)

Gotta get to the fingerprinting class at some point. My current work schedule is blocking me at the moment.
    Arkansas Concealed Carry Instructor #12-751

If guns kill people, then:
    Pincels miss spel werds;
    Cars make people drive drunk;
    And spoons made Rosie O'Donnel fat.

Links