Finished OK CCW Course

Finished OK CCW Course

This is a discussion on Finished OK CCW Course within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I finished my Oklahoma CCW class yeaterday, sleety rain and all on the range! My buddy and I (and his wife) did the course together. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Finished OK CCW Course

Finished OK CCW Course

I finished my Oklahoma CCW class yeaterday, sleety rain and all on the range! My buddy and I (and his wife) did the course together. In Oklahoma even ex LEOs have to take the CCW if there CLEET cert is too old. Good class and ours was nice because we actually had one of our CLEET instructors put it on. Even tho they dont score the targets I still do in my head. 50 rounds fired 37 in x ring, 11 in 9 ring and 2 fliers in the 8 ring but we wont worry about those 2 little guys. Headed this week to the SO to do the paperwork and then the wait begins.
    Rotorblade likes this.

Congrats! Welcome to the club!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

VIP Member
    Congrats on completing your course. Just curious, what part of OK, I lived in SW OK for 17 years (81-98).
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Archer im in NE

There is a bill in each of the Oklahoma senate and house to lower CCL application fee from $100 to $35. If they pass, the fee will be reduced on Nov. 1, 2012.
    It's not the weapon that makes me hesitant to fire upon someone at long range, but the legal ramifications and plethora of good prosecuting attorneys.

An honarary member! Congrats..
    Why?? Because at the last second, the Police are minutes away.

Congrats! I'm up in the NE area myself.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

South West OK here, little town of Spiro, near Ft. Smith,Arkansas
    Welcome to the group.
    A 1911 is Not an obsession, it's simply a recognition that it's THE Gun. :-) All others are runner ups. And hey, if all else fails, aim for the nose and fling it to knock out your foe. Let's see y'all do that with a kel-Tec. ;-)

I hope the course was more comprehensive than the one I witnessed at the gun show at our fairgrounds recently. Besides a mob scene at the show, the CWL course was given in a room next to the main show with no door blocking the noise. People in the class were milling about not paying attention to the instructor. Its supposed to be a 4 hour class but I was told it really runs about 2 1/2 hours. Baloney! You can't get the legal aspects of FL carry law in 2 1/2 hours, let alone demonstrate safe handling of your weapon and also firing a bunch of rounds. As with most things, its all about the Benjamins. Since 1978 when CWLs were ok'd by the state, over 2,000,000 have been issued with over 800,000 currently in effect. That's a lotta money generated for the state to be concerned about course content. I took my course 25 years ago in a closed, quiet classroom setting and had to know the content to finish the course. As has been posted in another forum, these fairgrounds licensees are being done a disservice with this type of course. Some may be firearm newbies and may be packing without sufficient training or familiarity with their weapon. Sounds like a recipe for trouble to me. IMHO.

Congrats! Don't worry too much about the wait. My girlfriend and I turned in our apps on Jan. 21 and we were approved on Feb. 16. The wait was nowhere near as long as I expected. OSBI handled it quick.

whereas my application took the full 90 days. You can't ever tell.
    A 1911 is Not an obsession, it's simply a recognition that it's THE Gun. :-) All others are runner ups. And hey, if all else fails, aim for the nose and fling it to knock out your foe. Let's see y'all do that with a kel-Tec. ;-)

Turned in the app today at the SO, she had the checks done by the time I was done with my fingerprints. It heads to OSBI tomorrow I hope the prints are acceptable, that seems to be hit or miss I hear.

Quote Originally Posted by nightsonge View Post
    South West OK here, little town of Spiro, near Ft. Smith,Arkansas
    Welcome to the group.
    Well im right next door in Poteau

I completed CC class 1-7-12 and submitted my application along with pics, fingerprints from sheriff's dept. etc. on 1-11-12. (Our sheriff's dept. only accepts applications on Wed. or Thurs. afternoons). The class was great. Now I'm just waiting ... and waiting. Our sheriff's dept. has moved this past week and I'm hoping that hasn't slowed everything down. I think I'm at day 52 since submitting my completed application and all paperwork. My payment to OSBI was processed several weeks ago.

How long before you received your permit after submission of application?
    Last edited by stancehold; March 3rd, 2012 at 09:12 AM.

stancehold I'm still waiting for my permit. OSBI processed my payment Thursday, exactly 1 week after I turned it in to the Sheriff.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links