For 'Southpaws' Only

This is a discussion on For 'Southpaws' Only within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I keep experimenting with carrying Concealed trying to find that perfect ( if there is such a thing ) solution while driving. As you all ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: For 'Southpaws' Only

For 'Southpaws' Only

I keep experimenting with carrying
    Concealed trying to find that perfect ( if there is such a thing ) solution while driving. As you all have found out for yourselves drawing from the strong side presents quite a challenge for us lefty's. Living in Texas summer heat also excludes me from a shoulder rig during those months. Have not tried a cross draw holster yet as I thought the seat belt buckle would interfere? How have you other lefty's dealt with this other than carry off of your person?
    Regards,
    OldGringo
    Thin Blue Line - LEMC
    Victory Riders Association
    Patriot Guard Riders
    "Standing for those who stood for us"

2. Remove Ads

I'm a southpaw (feel discriminated against sometimes trying to find holsters locally) and understand what you are saying for carrying strong side in a vehicle. I have been practicing firing weak hand when I hit the range as well as using my strong side.

I have a nice center console in the car, thinking of carrying my summer carry in there using a pocket holster, velcroed inside at a cant. I don't want the gun jostled about. I also have a MicroVault 2000 under the seat to lock it up as needed.

I saw some clips that provides to carry the gun under the steering column. Easy access when in the vehicle. Our car doesn't have room for that but my new truck would when I get it.

Good luck...

Kurt (fellow Southpaw)

Although I don't carry yet, I had already recognized that this will be a problem. My thought at this point, since I am ambidextrous, is to have a holster mounted on the front of my truck seat, between my legs, that the gun will be stored in while driving. From here, I should be able to draw and shoot just fine right-handed. I REALLY do not like the idea of transferring the gun back and forth, but I haven't come up w/ a better solution yet.

The answer to your concerns...I have one for long trips with the Glock-36.
    FIST, INC.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I recently got my first Remora Holster and find that it is easy to switch it from a strong side left handed carry to a cross draw. Switching from one side to the other requires no more than loosening my belt, removing the holster with the gun in it and reinserting it into my waistband cross-carry

Quote Originally Posted by Cyngen View Post
    I'm a southpaw (feel discriminated against sometimes trying to find holsters locally) and understand what you are saying for carrying strong side in a vehicle. I have been practicing firing weak hand when I hit the range as well as using my strong side.

I have a nice center console in the car, thinking of carrying my summer carry in there using a pocket holster, velcroed inside at a cant. I don't want the gun jostled about. I also have a MicroVault 2000 under the seat to lock it up as needed.

I saw some clips that provides to carry the gun under the steering column. Easy access when in the vehicle. Our car doesn't have room for that but my new truck would when I get it.

Good luck...

Kurt (fellow Southpaw)
    Boy you are not just a kidding about the holsters...
    The other day,I wanted to "just see" about getting a new carry rig for my 1911.My gun shop buddy looked at me like I had three heads when I made the "oh,by the way, Im left handed" gesture. All I heard then were mumblings about not stocking,back orders and "at least two to three weeks" for delivery.
    As far as car carry,like everything else in the right handed world,we get used to improvising and engineering whern it comes to our rig. I look for holsters that are canted so that my gun doesnt catch on the seatbelt. My revolver seems to be the best of all my carry guns when it comes to auto travel.

Like others have stated -storing in the go between is always a good option. Its there at the ready.
    Five minutes before the prom is no time to learn how to dance.Semper Paratus

+1 for a Remora holster. I usually carry mine strong side, but I switch to cross draw if I will be in the car for awhile.

VIP Member
    The solution, for me, is position, not holster. I carry closer to 9:00, which facilitates an easier draw from most positions.

When wearing an open fronted cover garment, I simply make sure that it is clear of the seat belt when I get in. If I am using a closed front cover garment, I will tuck it up behind when I get in the vehicle.

After that, it is just a matter of leaning to the right and drawing as from a chair. Obviously, practice this modified draw so as not to sweep your leg during presentation.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

Distinguished Member Array Toorop's Avatar
    I believe Mitch Rosen makes a holster called the carjacker that might work.

My problem is I have partial paralysis of my right hand so I had to retrain to shoot lefty,so while seated in the vehicle it will be extremely difficult to engage a target from the rear without flinging the door open.Sometimes I carry a backup in the side pocket of the door while driving,Since I make my own holsters I could pretty much manufacture something similar to the steering column rig that people have seen lately
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by RoadRunner71 View Post
    The solution, for me, is position, not holster. I carry closer to 9:00, which facilitates an easier draw from most positions.

When wearing an open fronted cover garment, I simply make sure that it is clear of the seat belt when I get in. If I am using a closed front cover garment, I will tuck it up behind when I get in the vehicle.

After that, it is just a matter of leaning to the right and drawing as from a chair. Obviously, practice this modified draw so as not to sweep your leg during presentation.
    This is what I do, although I carry at 9:00 at all times anyway......
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

-Will Rogers

Im a big fan of the .22LR for bear defense.
    Just shoot the guy next to you in the knee and run like heck.

I am new at this so I'm no expert, but I have been carrying cross draw in and out of the car or truck. I position the gun at about 1 oclock.
    yooperdug likes this.
    Shall not be infringed means - shall not be infringed.
    Member - NRA
    John

This also answered my questions. Thanks ( fellow south paw)

Quote Originally Posted by jrclen View Post
    I am new at this so I'm no expert, but I have been carrying cross draw in and out of the car or truck. I position the gun at about 1 oclock.
    i do this as well. Works well for us left-handeds...
    Im still sick about the Packers.
    jrclen likes this.
    Five minutes before the prom is no time to learn how to dance.Semper Paratus

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar

DeSantis "Kingston" car seat holster.........

-------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links