SCORE! Now for the WOC???

This is a discussion on SCORE! Now for the WOC??? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello to all and what a beautiful day! Just got approved for my CCW this past Thursday and now I'm ready to carry but... before ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: SCORE! Now for the WOC???

Hello to all and what a beautiful day! Just got approved for my CCW this past Thursday and now I'm ready to carry but... before I do I would like some input from experienced carriers as to what a good carry weapon would be for my needs. I'm a big bore guy so I would prefer to carry a .45. I've looked into glocks but they do not have the midsize compact in a 45. I don't like the sub-compacts because my pinky finger is hanging out in the wind and I think a full size might be too big. Any info, opinions or personal preferences are welcome and appreciated.

Check out the springfield.....

Springfield Armory - Introducing the XD(M) Polymer Handgun

BTW congrats on the permit.....
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Are you near a shooting range that rents handguns? Might be able to try out some different models that way. What about friends? Know any that have some you could look at or shoot?

Michael

VIP Member
    You don't give a price range you want to stay in. Look at the M&P 45 or the SIG P220. Another option is a Commander frame 1911. Any of them should fit your bill.
    DaveH likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    Are you near a shooting range that rents handguns? Might be able to try out some different models that way. What about friends? Know any that have some you could look at or shoot?

Michael
    LOL.Sorry couldnt resist--"What about friends? Know any that have some you could look at or shoot?"

i know what you mean,just razzzin ya...
    mlr1m likes this.
    Five minutes before the prom is no time to learn how to dance.Semper Paratus

The 1911 isn't a bad carry gun. It's among the slimmest big bore HGs out there... A good holster would conceal it well. There's the weight issue, but a good belt would make a good foundation for a good holster with a nice 1911 in it.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Thanks to all so far and yes I do have friends that have some I could try out but getting together will be a bit difficult due to everyone's schedule. The closest range i know of that rents handguns is about an hour and a half away. I have looked into the XD and I really like it but again I have only handled it in the sub compact and my pinky was begging for a place to rest. I should have mentioned I do have a full size 1911 and considered carrying it but I weigh 160lbs so lugging that much steel around would be uncomfortable I think... I would prefer a 45 but will remain open to other calibers. Does anyone like a 9mm for a carry gun? Also price is not too much of a concern as I don't really have a limit on that when it comes to my safety.

Distinguished Member Array matthew03's Avatar
    I CC a Government Model fairly often; carry a couple of mags. on the offside to balance the weight of the gun and use a solid gun belt.

A Sig P220 can be had in abbreviated length and height in the P245 or P220 carry and is a fantastic platform for the .45. Springfield XD's are nice guns in .45 as are the Smith M&P's.
    DaveH likes this.

Distinguished Member Array AZJD1968's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ramble View Post
    I've looked into glocks but they do not have the midsize compact in a 45.
    Ummmm. G30SF? I own one and really like the way it shoots and carries.
    RMS and .45acpguy like this.
    Stop whining and go do something that makes a difference!
    If you think that I may be talking to you, then I am.

SIG 220 Carry. I need one, too.
    DaveH likes this.

VIP Member
    I like my Kahr CW9. It's small, thin, accurate and it has a resting place for my pinky. I believe they make them in .45 now too.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

My youngest son got a Springfield Range Officer for Christmas, beautiful gun, has a lot of extras already added to it. Shoots like a dream, and dead accurate.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

VIP Member
    MY EDC is a SIG220 SAS DAK [ P220 SAS ]

It is only 0.6 inches longer and 1.2 oz heaver than the SIG220 Carry DAK [ P220 Carry DAK ] -- and I just like the feel & balance better.

If you like the DAK trigger system either would be a good choice for a .45
    Last edited by DaveH; February 21st, 2012 at 01:02 PM.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

I carry a springfield XD subcompact .40. It is a nice gun and shoots well, but it weighs about as much as a Kimber CDP or Ultra Carry....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links