This is an example of how stupidly ridiculous anti gun States have become

This is a discussion on This is an example of how stupidly ridiculous anti gun States have become within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; New Hampshire man arrested for firing gun into ground while catching suspected burglar By Joshua Rhett Miller A New Hampshire man who fired his handgun ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: This is an example of how stupidly ridiculous anti gun States have become

New Hampshire man arrested for firing gun into ground while catching suspected burglar
    By Joshua Rhett Miller

A New Hampshire man who fired his handgun into the ground to scare an alleged burglar he caught crawling out of a neighbor's window is now facing a felony charge -- and the same potential prison sentence as the man he stopped.

Dennis Fleming, 61, of Farmington, was arrested for reckless conduct after the Saturday incident at his 19th century farmhouse. The single grandfather had returned home to find that his home had been burglarized and spotted Joseph Hebert, 27, climbing out of a window at a neighbor's home. Fleming said he yelled "Freeze!" before firing his gun into the ground, then held Hebert at gunpoint until police arrived.

"I didn't think I could handle this guy physically, so I fired into the ground," Fleming told FoxNews.com. "He stopped. He knew I was serious. I was angry and I was worried that this guy was going to come after me."

No one was injured in the incident, but when the police arrived, they made two arrests. Hebert was charged with two counts of burglary and drug possession. He faces up to seven years in prison if convicted. Fleming, meanwhile, is scheduled to be arraigned March 20 on a charge of reckless conduct, which could potentially land him a sentence similar to the one Hebert faces.

"I didn't know it was illegal [to fire into the ground], but I had to make that guy realize I was serious," Fleming said. "I've got a clean record. I really don't want to be convicted."

County Attorney Tom Velardi told Foster's Daily Democrat he will review the case and determine if the charge against Fleming is appropriate under the state statutes regarding self-defense and defense of property.

Fleming, meanwhile, is hoping to catch a break.

"I have 14 grandchildren, I don't want to be a felon and go to jail," he said. "I'm kind of wound up about it."

Fleming's collection of seven rifles and a .38-caliber handgun were seized by police. But Fleming said he's not entirely defenseless: "I've got a Louisville Slugger here, but I would call the police," he said.

Calls seeking comment from Farmington Police Department Chief Scott Roberge were not immediately returned.

Penny Dean, a spokeswoman for the Gun Owners of New Hampshire, said her organization is "absolutely outraged" by Fleming's arrest.

"This homeowner fired at the ground, from all accounts, in a safe direction and held a burglar for police and did things correctly," Dean told FoxNews.com. "The fact that this man would be charged is an outrage. Burglars in New Hampshire must know it's open season, since homeowners cannot defend themselves, as evidenced by this case. This is charging the victim."

Rick Pelkey, Fleming's longtime neighbor, said he's now worried how the "straight-forward, working-class guy" will pay legal fees associated with the arrest.

"I think it's outrageous," Pelkey told FoxNews.com. "He did the community a service here. We ought to thank him for it."
    Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/02/21...#ixzz1n2tTcnWc
    http://www.treasureislandbedandbreakfast.com
    Ed Brown Kobra Carry | HK P7M8, P2000sk, P30s | Sig P238, P239SAS, 1911 C3, P232, P938 | Colt Defender, Mustang Pocketlite, 1911 | Rohrbaugh R9 | Kimber Covert Ultra II | Browning HP, Buckmark 22LR(suppressed| Walter PPK(1966) | Kahr PM9 Black Rose |

Senior Member Array CowboyColby's Avatar
    Horrible to arrest the guy. As stated its open season on burglaries for the BG's wow. I'd move fast if able to do so.

already running
    Man catches robber, holds him at gunpoint...
    And NH is a gun friendly state in case you didn;t know which you did not. If he was not on his property he was wrong. New Castle Doctrine says you don't have to retreat.

Getting rid of CCP'sis next. Passed the house, has to pass the senate. OC state. One of the best Castle Doctrines. Can carry in state an national forests. Folks even carried in the state capitol building.
    So, how is NH an anti gun state?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    Getting rid of CCP'sis next. Passed the house, has to pass the senate. OC state. One of the best Castle Doctrines. Can carry in state an national forests. Folks even carried in the state capitol building.
    So just an over aggressive prosecutor then?
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Sounds like it. To be fair southern NH is like MA with attitudes and LEO's IMO don't like the new laws that were passed, in particular the Castle bill

Probably getting this response because of the fact that representatives of NH govt (LEO's) confiscated all this man's firearms, not just the one involved.
    "Death is lighter than a feather, but Duty is heavier than a mountain" Robert Jordan
    USMC veteran
    Glock 19 Gen 4
    Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes

Perhaps we should figure out more politically correct terminology for the burglar such as "displaced property holder" or "professionally mind enhanced home entry and item possessor" that way everyone would know he isn't a bad guy worthy of such treatment.

This old guy should've been given a key to the city for thwarting a crime (and future crimes for certain). Instead they want to give him a cell. Pathetic.
    candalos likes this.

Brady gives NH 6 out of 100 points that is a good state in my book. But it is still a socially liberal, economically conservative state.

This is outragous! I can't believe we live in a nation where this is possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Doodle View Post
    This is outragous! I can't believe we live in a nation where this is possible.
    It happens everywhere.... google Harold Fish... and example of how liberal county politics and pressure can make life a nightmare even in a conservative state. It really does depend on where you live. I am sure there are places in NH that this would never fly.

The good thing is that firearms rights have been on the march and we are winning slowly but surely....
    atctimmy likes this.

Here is a much better account of the incident.

Farmington homeowner doesn't regret firing gun

It was Saturday night, when Fleming called local police to find out if Hebert had been released on bail, concerned he might try to come back to the house, that he learned he himself was going to be charged in the incident.

Fleming was arrested late Saturday night after turning himself into police and charged with felony reckless conduct, alleging he put others at risk of serious bodily injury when he discharged his firearm into the ground.

Fleming said his weapons, including a number of hunting rifles and antique guns once handed down through his family were taken away after his arrest.
    Short of some type of warrant, I would not have allowed the Police to seize any other firearms.
    ironmike86 likes this.

Just to clarify, judging from the context I assume that "getting rid of CCP's" means that you wouldn't need a permit? The other interpretation would be no legal CCW.

Warning shots can get you in trouble,at least in Tx you can come to the aid of your neighbor,I wouldn't have to fire a shot to let the POS know that he better listen up and do as he is told because he ain't leaving until LEO shows up he can choose vertical or horizontal
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Someone is trying to hit a home run on Flemings back..
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links