Reminder

Reminder

This is a discussion on Reminder within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I know that many people here do not need to hear this, but I am going to post it anyway. My neighbor had his car ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By RugerMike
  • 1 Post By OldVet

Thread: Reminder

Reminder

I know that many people here do not need to hear this, but I am going to post it anyway. My neighbor had his car broken into two days ago on the street right in front of his house. His GPS and some other electronics were stolen. They came back this morning to hit his house around 5:30. He scared the guy or guys (he was not sure) off with a pipe.

I have changed some simple things since I started reading this site. No valuables in the car, deadbolt on all doors, floor bolts on the two that have glass in them, motion lights outside, etc. I feel like I have taken reasonable precautions to prevent myself from becoming the victim my neighbor has become.

Ever since I got my permit and felt capable I have been carrying about every minute that I legally can. My wife had been giving me some problems about it, but now she is totally on board. We are going to get ADT installed here with our tax return, but in the mean time are setting up some more light on timers inside the house. I have plenty of precautions taken to secure the house while we are here, but unless you are willing to put bars on your windows people can get in when you are not around. That is the idea with the ADT.

I think it is easy to get a little passive about these things until it hits near you. I don't live in a great area, but its not the ghetto here either. So the reminder is that as I sit here doing work on the computer, I have my Glock 19 and two spare mags on me. Always be aware, never be afraid. You are your first and last line of defense.
    ccman likes this.
    Fear the man with one gun. Especially if that gun is a Glock 19.

This is a good reminder. I grew up in a nice neighborhood in a bad city, so I learned at a young age not to do what your friend did. I, too, have my Glock 19 sitting right here as I read this forum with a 33 rounder right next to me.
    "Though defensive violence will always be a 'sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." - St. Augustine

Yes sir! Alarm with mobil signal monitoring and sensors on ALL doors/window +glass break and motion, armored deadbolt jams on both doors (metal box that screws into the frame of the house, not just the doorjam, with 4 very large wood screws), sliding bolts up high on both doors, a Lab and a German Shepard. That's me being a hard target.

And just a reminder, DON'T program your GPS with your real home address. Once you're close to home, you know your way around, right? Enter the address of a supermarket or police station or fire house. No need to give thieves your home address on top of the GPS they just stole.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    And just a reminder, DON'T program your GPS with your real home address. Once you're close to home, you know your way around, right? Enter the address of a supermarket or police station or fire house. No need to give thieves your home address on top of the GPS they just stole.
    I think I can find most places in my town without a GPS. A city to which I've never been, yeah. But at home? Give me a break.
    Stubborn likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Senior Member Array CowboyColby's Avatar
    Growing up we never locked our house or vehicles or tractors. Somebody might come borrow a pickup or tractor if they got stuck but it was always right back in its place come morning.

Now I lock my house and vehicles. I do not like it but its how things are now. I don't feel like I'm locking people out I feel like I'm locking myself in but its become habit and a good precaution.

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    it ain't right that what you are doing is right cause the courts wont do whats right.

similarly I'm safety conscious also, but sometimes i add up what it cost, products and emotionally, to be safe
    and i have to ask--just where is the advantage for the criminal justice system to perpetuate itself that it trumps
    the safety of the citizens?
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

One of my neighbors actually stopped locking his car because of break-ins. In my neighborhood, it is usually idiot kids on drugs looking for a quick score of cash or saleable electronic whatevers. They slashed the top of his convertible for all of $2 in quarters that he kept for parking meters.

They robbed my van too.... prolly got a buck in loose change. Left the cd player. Everything else was random kid stuff like coloring books, dried out markers, maybe a stray sock.

Motion-sensor lights with bright halogens are a good thing to have installed.

Excellent post! What you have done is known as hardening your home, to make it a less desirable target for criminals. Your security upgrades are precisely what I recommend to folks who ask for my advice. Burglars are for the most part, lazy. When they see a target that has been hardened and may require some effort, they will move on to the neighbors who think "that will never happen to me." Whether you live in a bad neighborhood, or upscale, criminals are known to move around in their search for victims. There is no such thing as a "safe" neighborhood. One more thing that I recommend, if you have not already done so, get a quality gun safe for those firearms not under your immediate control. Even with all of your precautions, no one is ever totally safe.
    WAY TO GO!
    Sui juris
    U.S. Navy Veteran '65-'69
    Retired Police Detective '71 - '01
    LEOSA Certified
    NRA Life Member / SAF Member
    U.S. Constitution (c) 1791, All Rights Reserved.

Pioneer, thanks for the kind words. A nice gun safe was actually going to be my original purchase with my tax refund, but now that will probably have to wait until Summer when I can make a little extra money since the tax refund is aimed at a security system.
    Fear the man with one gun. Especially if that gun is a Glock 19.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    I think I can find most places in my town without a GPS. A city to which I've never been, yeah. But at home? Give me a break.
    Actually, the point of having "Home" programmed is so that no matter where you are.... 500 miles from home or just lost on a Sunday drive you can punch "HOME" and you're on your way.
    And you know I could have me a million more friends, and all I'd have to lose is my point of view. -- John Prine (A Good Time)

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    No kidding... but just about every person I know who has a GPS has, sure enough, programmed in their home address. Lemmings.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Links