Ever wonder what a .45ACP will do?

This is a discussion on Ever wonder what a .45ACP will do? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ever wonder what a .45ACP will do from close range? Check out this story where a guy got shot while driving due to a ND ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Ever wonder what a .45ACP will do?

Ever wonder what a .45ACP will do from close range? Check out this story where a guy got shot while driving due to a ND fired off by a backseat passenger.

How I Got Shot

woops. I wouldn't be taking that buddy to the range ever again.
    ironmike86 likes this.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

OD*
    OUCH!
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, don’t give them a tomorrow."

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Ouch! I think I'd find a new shooting buddy. As far as bullet performance in any given caliber or bullet style, it is what it is, and no block of geletin or otherwise is going to indicate performance on any individual human being with 100% accuracy.
    Bark'n and ironmike86 like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Ouch! I think I'd find a new shooting buddy. As far as bullet performance in any given caliber or bullet style, it is what it is, and no block of geletin or otherwise is going to indicate performance on any individual human being with 100% accuracy.
    Yep, it could have just as easily been a 9mm as they are just as capable of that kind of damage when hitting bone and joints.

I've also seen a .45 acp enter the forearm just behind the wrist, travel along the radius bone, never fracturing it and exiting above the elbow only hitting soft tissue and muscle, never striking bone. (That one was done by a man who "accidentally" shot his wife. She was holding her hand out in front of her in a "stop, don't shoot me" type position).
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

The next set of X-Rays would have been the Doc's looking at a Kimber in a certain body cavity,figuring out how to remove it! What a Pal!
    jag06, kmagnuss, Honk and 8 others like this.

I don't understand this part:

"Here we see an undoing of popular belief, where a hollow cavity projectile expanded, doing devastating damage on impact with bone, but proceeded through the limb, leaving a small exit wound. Though a single injury is not definitive, it does illustrate the falseness of some assumptions about the behavior of bullets. Especially those established by use of flesh simulating media, such as ballistic gelatin, that lack the skeletal structure and tension of living flesh."

Which "popular belief" is he referring to?
    Move. Shoot. Survive. ― The "Unofficial" Suarez International Doctrine

“The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress and grows brave by reflection.” ― Thomas Paine

I wonder how the buddy is doing... Stupid mistake but an accident nonetheless ... Goes to show not to trust people with your weapons in situations where you can't see what they are doing
    "The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

-James Earl Jones

VIP Member
    Thats a "black eye" for us 1911 Kimber owners. Lucky he was not killed. Why would a guy load a magazine into a pistol and work the slide while in the back seat of a moving vehicle? I think there could be more to this story than they are saying.

Its very possible that the hollow point was plugged with seat material including fabric and foam rubber before entering the victims arm which would have made it react more like a FMJ.
    I've always said you need to practice shooting off hand due to the fact if you are shot in your dominant arm you could very well lose that arms ability to function.I rarely ever see people shoot off handed at the range
    bigmacque likes this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Administrator
    Thanks for posting a link to the story.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

VIP Member
    I think after fully recovering, I'd be giving the EX-range buddy a butt whipping he would never forget!
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array Elk Hunter's Avatar
    I thought a friend was supposed to have your back, as in protect you not shoot you. Thanks friend remind not to let you sit behind me ever again.

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    certain actions require a punishment that fits the crime.

perhaps most would say the courts will handle this with input from the victim.
    but the hurtin one may be forgiving...

sure as heck id not be.

as for how a projectile will cause harm, thats different in virtually every happening cause hardly ever
    are all the conditions identical. he seems to be a strong person ( mentally and physically a fighter)
    and this trait has served him well. moving foward...good luck
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Quote Originally Posted by MrBuckwheat View Post
    Thats a "black eye" for us 1911 Kimber owners. Lucky he was not killed. Why would a guy load a magazine into a pistol and work the slide while in the back seat of a moving vehicle? I think there could be more to this story than they are saying.
    Maybe they were going to rob a bank? Were there any ski-masks in the car?
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links