Shooting carry ammo

Shooting carry ammo

This is a discussion on Shooting carry ammo within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; How often do you shoot your carry ammo? I have shooting Sellier & Bellot FMJ 45 230 GR at IDPA and at the range. I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Member Array Timmy Jimmy's Avatar

Shooting carry ammo

How often do you shoot your carry ammo?

I have shooting Sellier & Bellot FMJ 45 230 GR at IDPA and at the range.

I have been carrying SPEER GoldDot 45 Auto 230 GR GDHP.

Today I fired up all my GoldDot and bought a new box for carrying.

How often do you do this?

I am paying $8.50 for a box of 50 of the S&B and close to $20 for a box of 20 of the Speer.

I was surprised that the holes in the paper were much different the GoldDot was nice clean round hole and the S&B was more jagged, what causes that?
    Timmy Jimmy

If it is not in the US Constitution then the Federal Government should not be doing it.

"Carrying a gun is a social responsibility."

Senior Member Array hsuCowboy98's Avatar
    I shoot my mag of carry ammo every time I go to the range (about once a week) to insure feeding reliability more than ammo reliability.

The jagged holes are caused by the round nosed FMJ which "pushes through the paper", while the clean holes are caused by the "punching" of the flat tipped HP bullet. (much like a semiwadcutter or wadcutter which is used to create clean holes for scoring.)
    Fear No Evil.

Quote Originally Posted by hsuCowboy98 View Post
    I shoot my mag of carry ammo every time I go to the range (about once a week) to insure feeding reliability more than ammo reliability.
    Same, here. It's my main purpose to train (concealed carry reliability, that is). Now, to keep expenses down, the greatest percentage of use is on cheaper range rounds, but each session includes at least several magazines' worth of carry ammo from several boxes. All magazines, several boxes of ammo, often several one-shot drills that require unloading/reloading/cycling. Anything to force the carry gun to prove itself.

Note to self: Don't ever, ever, tally up the full annual cost of ammunition.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

My XD-40sc has been flawless. I carry 165gr GoldDot HP, and only shoot them out about every 3-6 months. I use Independence FMJ Flat point, for pratice, or WWB sometimes. That seems to work for me.
    "Old Marines never die, we just smell like it." USMC 71'-83'

Stay Safe

Ex Member Array Ghost Who Walks's Avatar
    I shoot off my own carry ammo about once a month. The longest I've gone is, about, 3 months. If the ammo has sealed primers I might tend to carry it longer; but, generally, I encourage people to swap out once a month.

Distinguished Member Array dimmak's Avatar
    I recommend firing a box of carry ammo at every range session....
    "Ray Nagin is a colossal disappointment" - NRA/ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox.

"...be water, my friend."

Garland, NC (About 25 miles east of Fayetteville)
    I had the same question and started this thread a while back:"Shelf life on ammo???"

I carry Gold Dots (.40), StarFire (.357sig), or Corbons (9mm) and I try to cycle through the ammo so it does not become over 2 years old. I am sure I could wait longer than 2 years on "carry ammo" but I am not sure how old it was when I bought it. I do not expect any problems, but why risk it with ammo that if needed will be required to save your life.

I buy my "target" ammo in bulk, so I always have various types. When I get low on a caliber, I usually buy 1000-2000 rounds at a gun show. It usually takes me a year or two to go through 1000-2000 rounds in each caliber (some longer than others). Because I never get under 250 rounds in any caliber I have a lot of ammo of different types sitting around. I keep it all in ammo cans in a large locked cabinet. For less used calibers, I have had ammo that is 5 years old and not had any problems. I have also bought "surplus ammo" and not experienced any major problems.

I built a private 2 lane range on my property, so I can "go shooting" anytime I feel like it. My wife is also a shooter, so we can go through a lot of ammo in an afternoon, if we feel like it.

Assistant Administrator
    I don't have a fixed routine, but won't let carry ammo go on too long. I guess every two to three months is what averages out. Fortunately I got a bulk qty of +P GD's some time ago and so that helps keep expense down.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar
    Expenses are what dictate how long for me. Never longer than 6 months though.
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

I shoot my carry magazine every time i go to the range, which is about once a week. I reload fresh Hydra-Shox before I leave the range.
    Kimber S/S tle pro

Distinguished Member Array BCurry1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Timmy Jimmy View Post
    I am paying $8.50 for a box of 50 of the S&B and close to $20 for a box of 20 of the Speer.
    You can get a 50 round box of golddots for $22 here. http://www.streichers.com/ProductDet...&Prod=CCI-45GD
    Curry

Ex Member Array one eyed fatman's Avatar
    OK OK I know it's time for me to get a new box of carry ammo. It's been at least a few months. Thanks for the reminder.

Senior Member Array Ride4TheBrand's Avatar
    Same with me...

When I get to the range, I shoot what's in my mag... Then load up some ball and have at it.
    "We must remember that one man is much
    the same as another, and that he is best
    who is trained in the severest school."
    ~Thucydides, History of the Peloponnesian War

As I cycle rounds into the chgamber they have a tendency to saomewhat sink deeper into the neck of the case. When I see even the slightest hint of this, I'll shoot it. But I rarely shoot my carry rounds after I determine that they will function 100% in a given gun and determine where they hit at various ranges. That's possibly because my carry ammo tend to run quite expensive: MagSafe/Glaser or RBCD. Backup to the carry mag is always either Hydra-Shok or Gold Dot or CorBon or Golden Saber. Usually a combo of these.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

I shoot my carry ammo once a month for the .380 (Corbon) and every 2 to three months for the 9mm (Gold Dots or Magtech.) I shoot the .380 more often because I pocket carry a Kel-Tec and I am concerned that perspiration causes them to discolor quicker. The 9mm Glock is carried in an IWB or a briefcase.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links