CCL------why does it take so long? - Page 2

CCL------why does it take so long?

This is a discussion on CCL------why does it take so long? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Did a guy on a horse with a "pony express"label pick yours up...

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: CCL------why does it take so long?

Did a guy on a horse with a "pony express"label pick yours up
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Arizona took 3 days for me

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk
    Operation Enduring Freedom Veteran

Move to PA:

-No CCL courses required
    -5 year permit is $20
    -Got mine in under an hour (there was a long line for renewal)

I'm in Buncombe county. I'll be glad to get it, no matter when it comes!

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Spirit4earth View Post
    I'm in Buncombe county. I'll be glad to get it, no matter when it comes!
    Well you should only have to wait once. If you are diligent enough to renew within the specified time period, your old permit remains valid until you either get your new permit or get notification that you have been denied, even if it passes the official expiration date. That at east was one thing that did get right in the law.

For my recent move to Florida, an appointment at the District Office of licensing was about 4 weeks out. Got through the process in about 45 minutes (online application, electronic fingerprints, picture), and they said I woudl get it in the mail in 2 - 3 weeks. Cost me $117 and it is good for 7 years. Florida does not allow open carry, so in order to exercise your 2A constitutional right in Florida you have to pay $117. Can you imagine if you had to have a permit and pay a fee to exercise any of your other constitutional rights (Freedom of Religion or Freedom of Speech)? People would be in an uproar. I hate to say it, but when I applied here it seemed like it was more about the money than anything. Just my perception of the process.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Distinguished Member Array Haywood's Avatar
    Ohio Permit Applications have doubled. That should slow us up a bit.
    Last edited by Haywood; February 27th, 2012 at 08:41 PM.

Quote by Bug Dude, "I hate to say it, but when I applied here it seemed like it was more about the money than anything".

My perception as well and just another of the many failed regulations our government is famous for. They will surely tell us that this one keeps us safe but the fact is it keeps the cash flowing into the hands of those who waste it best.
    jrclen likes this.

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamalot View Post
    Quote by Bug Dude, "I hate to say it, but when I applied here it seemed like it was more about the money than anything".

My perception as well and just another of the many failed regulations our government is famous for. They will surely tell us that this one keeps us safe but the fact is it keeps the cash flowing into the hands of those who waste it best.
    I doubt you will find many here who wouldn't support the concept of constitutional carry and doing away with the whole permit process. Until that happens, it is the reality that we have to live with. In order to process the applications, it requires people and equipment which cost. The people who utilise the service are the ones that are paying for it.

cj
    As others mention, it depends on whatever feel-good stipulations get added on (e.g. an option for the local sheriff to refuse to issue to someone not of good moral character...honestly, how many of you have even MET the sheriff?) as extra steps to go through. Then add in a most likely understaffed group who has to deal with it all, and you can get a slow, red-tape process.

"Then add in a most likely understaffed group who has to deal with it all, and you can get a slow, red-tape process."

That is the problem in most of these slow states. They are not nearly as understaffed as they are highly over regulated. As mentioned by many here, the checks should not take more than an hour or two but the states and counties add on all sorts of red tape that bogs the system down to a crawl. That plus the fact that many states and judges don't even want free citizens to have these freedoms.

Just yesterday I walked in to the local drug store to get a prescription filled. Nothing fancy and just standard heart meds. There was not another customer in the entire store and I handed the pharmacist my scrip. He said it will be about an hour. I asked him why so long to count out 30 pills and put them in a bottle. He caught an attitude and I took back my scrip and went to the next place down the road that did it on the spot in 10 minutes. If enough people do like I did these providers of "For Profit" merchandise might start to get the message. States are the same in that they forget exactly who they work for and who pays their salaries.

I am perfectly fine having to wait a while in a busy pharmacy and even at a busy pistol permit bureau. If they can do an FBI background check on line in minutes then there is no real reason for this process to take so long. We all just shut up and accept it and all the BS red tape they add along the way!

KY is hardly over-regulated, so I think we're down to understaffed. In our case it's probably a combination of:
    1. Understaffing,
    2. Inefficiency resulting from lack of competition (the govt. is the only game in town, so there's no motivation to seriously analyze the process for efficiency), and
    3. Lack of urgency, perhaps coming from the fact that OC is so acceptable here. In other words, my lack of CCDW isn't really preventing me from carrying a firearm, so why rush?

But that's just my figgerin', and only in the Commonwealth....

VIP Member
    2 weeks right now in Wisconsin I was part of the first group since or new Governor changed the law and we became state #49. My app in Nov 2011 took over 60 days because we had a pent up demand. But they got a system and some good people working at the DOJ now and if you send it priority mail you will possibly get it in a week.

If the problem is understaffing, then the delays would get longer. If the delays stay about the same, it is something else causing the problem. I can understand it starting slow - folks learn how to do the job better, or additional staff added. But after 6 months or so, it is not the staffing level.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamalot View Post
    Here in NY, excluding NYC, it can take upwards of 6 months. It begins with the county Sheriff and finger prints. He does a local background check on you. Then, if all is OK he sends it on to the FBI to do a much deeper background check that they usually sit on for a while. Once all the checks are complete and OK it comes back to the Sheriff who passes it on to the Judge. This is where the politics gets involved and if the Judge is Anti gun he probably has a pile of applications sitting on his desk and yours goes to the bottom. Other Judges act rather quick and still others demand to meet with each applicant face to face.

I always told my guys to be patient. They have lived for at least 21 years with out a CC permit so another 6-8 months is not a big deal. There are some counties here in NY where the Judges drag their feet a long time and even a few that refuse to issue permits unless there is some erroneous reason why the applicant should have one such as business owner making large cash deposits.

It is your right yet it is also very hard fighting City Hall. I tell all my guys to vote wisely because those who do get elected can effect our lives in many ways. The NRA publishes a list before every election and grades each politician. Any grade less than a B-B+ will never get my vote even if he/she is the prettiest thing to have ever stepped off the boat.

Gary
    Wow 6 months is GOOD in NY...I was eight and in monroe county near rochester they had a pending lawsuit to get it to the standard "must take 12 or less" and they cannot have THAT many they had to sort through...but they hate giving those out.......IN NY. They claim it was Understaffed and overworked and had to hire more to do it in 12mo. Poor mon county and NY.....tisk tisk

And if they can find something wrong with your app....nope..you aint gonna get one no way in hell.
    Please...work HARDER as MILLIONS on welfare depending on YOU !!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Sponsored Links