CCL------why does it take so long? - Page 3

CCL------why does it take so long?

This is a discussion on CCL------why does it take so long? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; In NH they're allowed a maximum of 14 days to check your background. After that time you have to be issued a permit. In the ...

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: CCL------why does it take so long?

Senior Member Array highvoltage's Avatar
    In NH they're allowed a maximum of 14 days to check your background. After that time you have to be issued a permit.

In the works is a bill to do away with permits altogether, making us the fourth state to do so (Alaska, Arizona and Vermont being the other 3). I don't have the latest info on where that stands.

I got my CHL here in NC about three years ago and it took approximately 45 days from the day I turned in my applications to the Sheriff's Office.

Tville, wouldn't volume play into understaffing? In KY times vary wildly, and some instructors indicate that it's connected to volume of applicants.

In Missouri, it takes two or three weeks after filing certification with the Sheriff's Dept.

Quote Originally Posted by drbald1 View Post
    Tville, wouldn't volume play into understaffing? In KY times vary wildly, and some instructors indicate that it's connected to volume of applicants.
    Yes, it would cause an increased delay. However, unless you had frequent swings in volume, the delay should trend down (adequate staff) or up (inadequate staff). I am not sure what would cause seasonal variations in volume...hmmmm.....

The only way it would stabilize at a time beyond like 2 weeks is if there is an intentional delay. There is just no way that it takes longer than that, no matter how slow you are at pushing paper, to run background checks, double check them, sign off on it, and print the license.

TVille, this is hearsay, but some instructors I know indicate that in KY it is very much seasonal. People don't want to give up their weekends when the weather's nice, so Jan/Feb fill up fast!

As for delay, understaffing still explains it if you've got staff multitasking. That is, if only certain hours per day, or days per week, are allotted to the same staff for CCDW processing, with the remainder of the time being filled with other stuff.

Even so, I'm ok with a small delay. As I've said, carrying openly here is just fine, and if a delay helps weed out some goobers, I'll live with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit4earth View Post
    Isn't it as simple as doing a background check on a person? Here in NC it can take up to three months!
    To answer simply, yes it is that simple. Your SS# and last couple addresses verify there looking at the correct persons info and they make a decision. The rest is BS to make it look like there actually doing something. Some of it MAY be processing time, meaning somebody being overworked and just haven't gotten to yours yet, but thats still not an excuse. When I got mine the clerk at the court told me they process in the neighborhood of 200-250 a month! I was in and out of the Police Station, fingerprinted and paperwork filled out to go to the court in less than 30min. Court for less than 30min. Permit was granted 20days later.
    DaveH likes this.

FBI web page says NICS phone call typically yields a response within 30 seconds. Thats all the time needed for a carry permit as well. If you're allowed to buy a gun, you allowed to carry a gun.

Should take longer to fill out the application then to get the approval.
    DaveH likes this.

Kansas generally takes between 45 - 60 days.

I completed my CC class today. Now I have to apply and wait up to 90 days. I need it before the warm weather settles in, so I hope it's quick!

Hanover County, VA, 10 days. They tell you 4-6 weeks, but the Clerk of Court has done a bang up job with streamlining all of his functions since taking office.
    Spirit4earth likes this.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters.
    If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters.
    --Alan Simpson

Going to the deputy sheriff's office tomorrow to apply. $90, CC class certificate, current ID, fingerprints then a 90ish day wait. That's all summer, and I'm going to be carrying in those woods for sure. Don't want to open carry, but I guess I'll have to.

Must we apply in the same county in which we live?

Senior Member Array jblives2ride's Avatar
    Here in Texas it usually takes about 6-8 weeks my buddy is on week 5 and starting to get impatient... and I had a TS security clearance with the military be patient it's worth the wait...I'm a bad influence I have two more individuals that have signed up for CCW classes and 2 more thingking about ... take your rights seriously, and be aware of your local laws...
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God,
    And die to find out there isn't, than live my life
    As if there isn't, and die to find out there is.
    God Bless

It took me 4 weeks to get my course certification back, and now I'm on week two for the call from the sheriff to come pick up the license. That second part can be up to 90 days, but the average wait is 4-6 weeks. So...either halfway or one third.

I hate waiting.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links