CCL------why does it take so long?

This is a discussion on CCL------why does it take so long? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Spirit4earth Must we apply in the same county in which we live? GS14‑415.12 says that "the sheriff shall" issue a permit to ...

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: CCL------why does it take so long?

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit4earth View Post
    Must we apply in the same county in which we live?
    GS14‑415.12 says that "the sheriff shall" issue a permit to anyone who complies with the requirements of that section, and there's no mention of living in that sheriff's county in 14-415. Practice may be different, best to call and ask.

I just noticed that if "approached or addressed by" a LEO, you have to inform the LEO of the permit and whether you're carrying. So if he says "How you doin'?", you're supposed to blurt out "I have a concealed handgun permit and I'm packing". Actually, it just says "shall disclose", so I guess you could just write it on your palm....
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters.
    If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters.
    --Alan Simpson

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    A little bit of clarification from someone who has followed this subject because of personal interest:
    1 - Yes, it needs to be issued from your county of residence. There are other statutes that govern your moving to another county. See the bottom of this page: WakeGOV.com - Concealed Handgun Permits If you are really interested, I am sure you could dig through the verbiage of statutes.

2 - the consensus amongst all of the LEO and instructors that I have seen weigh in on this topic is that notification is required when being approached in an official manner.
    Rock and Glock likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by noway2 View Post
    A little bit of clarification from someone who has followed this subject because of personal interest:
    1 - Yes, it needs to be issued from your county of residence. There are other statutes that govern your moving to another county. See the bottom of this page: WakeGOV.com - Concealed Handgun Permits If you are really interested, I am sure you could dig through the verbiage of statutes.
    That's what I did, and there's no indication in 14-415 that "the sheriff" must be the one from the applicant's county of residence, but there could certainly be references elsewhere that so define it for this context. Or court rulings to that effect. It makes sense that it's the general practice.

2 - the consensus amongst all of the LEO and instructors that I have seen weigh in on this topic is that notification is required when being approached in an official manner.
    Which makes it a judgement call for the citizen. Just sayin'.
    --Alan Simpson

I suspect that some jurisdictions hold onto the permits for the maximum time allowed by law before handing them out. If the law says they have sixty days to either deny a permit or give it out they will take the full sixty days. I have talked to some who have said they they don't have to give them out until the time limit is met.

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    I suspect that some jurisdictions hold onto the permits for the maximum time allowed by law before handing them out. If the law says they have sixty days to either deny a permit or give it out they will take the full sixty days. I have talked to some who have said they they don't have to give them out until the time limit is met.

Michael
    And if the background check is done by an elected sheriff and the permit issued by an elected county clerk, it can take 10 days of the 40 allotted, as in my county. Re-election, y'know.
    --Alan Simpson

Quote Originally Posted by Gamalot View Post
    This is exactly why we will never see any form of "Reciprocity" between states where concealed carry is concerned. One state has very lax laws while others are very stringent. I think some states don't even have permit requirements at all.

No need to shoot this messenger. I live in the state with the most stringent laws of them all and have held my permit for nearly 40 years. I did not make the rules and don't care to argue about them.

Gary
    Another good example for low hassling with getting a CC license or permit is New Hampshire. I don't know what it really, practically means, for time to complete, but they mandate the cards being done in 14 days, and I don't think there is much to have to do with them. Plus they charge $10 for someone who lives there. The downside to these states with the better laws with less infringing on the right, is that other states will not honor them as readily, say compared to Florida, or Texas or a state like that which is more stringnet (more infringing) than others. Don't take offense now. I know that Florida and Texas print a lot of CC licenses, but with the documentation and background checking it means that good people have to do without their rights, at least that part of the one right (bearing arms) for months of delays. That's on top of being taxed for it, which is esentially unconstitutional in nature. That is paying extra fees to vote, speak, have guns. It's kind of like a Jim Crow Poll Tax for the negroes in the south at times.

D.M. Jolly
    Last edited by Jollymann; July 30th, 2012 at 06:36 PM.

Oklahoma takes 90 days after OSBI receives paperwork from the sheriffs office. The sheriff is allowed 10 days for that. I'm at day 93 and waiting.

I just noticed that if "approached or addressed by" a LEO, you have to inform the LEO of the permit and whether you're carrying. So if he says "How you doin'?", you're supposed to blurt out "I have a concealed handgun permit and I'm packing". Actually, it just says "shall disclose", so I guess you could just write it on your palm....

I don't know how these rules are written in every state but here is my take on them. If you get pulled over for speeding and the officer is writing you a basic ticket then you have no obligation to inform him. If he asks do you have any weapons then yes, you better fess up. If, for what ever reason, you are asked to step out of the vehicle, say a sobriety check or vehicle search, I would immediately inform the officer of any weapons in the vehicle or on your person. I highly doubt there is any such law directing you to immediately inform any and every LEO you come in contact with that you are carrying unless you are under some further action by said officer.

Maine's permit laws say that after 30 days they must approve an application if they've not discovered reasons to deny at that point. They make it pretty clear, however, that average wait times are now around 90 days, with the real hold-up being at the state level. Part of the process includes a background check by the state's mental health services, the resources of which have recently been significantly reduced by budget cuts.
    Jollymann likes this.
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The Second Amendment *IS* Homeland Security
    --------------------- Μολὼν λαβέ ----------------------

Quote Originally Posted by Dono View Post
    Oklahoma takes 90 days after OSBI receives paperwork from the sheriffs office. The sheriff is allowed 10 days for that. I'm at day 93 and waiting.
    This 90 day stuff is outrageously incompetent. I guess I'm getting a clearer picture now. States which try to do some mental insitution check take tons more time. I don't think Florida does that.

D.J.

Quote Originally Posted by noway2 View Post

I have to point out that it doesn't really matter what the coppers think or what instructors think. All that matters is what the law says on notification. I mean to to hell with what they want! Notification is different in different states. In Arizona and New Mexico, you don't have to inform unless they ask. In Texas and Oklahoma for instance you do have to inform. If I can not make an issue of having loaded guns in the car then I sure as heck am not going to tell the guy about it! Why? So he can demand I surrender it to him for the stop for "officer safety" or some other bogus reason? I don't think so! So he can try to run numbers on it illegally? No! So he can maybe mark it with rings or something else metal in his car. No! So he can drop it and say, "Sorry too bad?" No! So he can use that to justify "probable cause" to search through your car, and possibly plant something there to incriminate you? No! Protect your rights and your property. Don't tell them jack unless you have to.

The cops are going to like what gives them more latitude on traffic stops. That has nothing to do with protecting your rights or Constitutional protections. They'd prefer it if you kissed their boots and allow them anything they wanted. Some times even experts like Massov Ayoob have this police reverence kind of mentality which isn't in our best interests as free armed citizens. I think you have to think about that.

D.M. Jolly

Considering that a gun shop can get your FBI finger print check back in a matter of minutes just like the cops on the streets, any hold ups in the permit process can be directly related to the Federal and Civil service employees our tax dollars pay for to do their jobs. Pack your pipes with that and make wise decisions this November! Those who live in predominantly Blue Democratic states have a longer process than those who live in Red Republican states for the most part. If your county Sheriff happens to be ruled by a bunch of Liberals it will probably take a lot longer and have more hoops you will have to jump through.

Again, don't shoot the messenger here because we vote for these idiots!
    Jollymann likes this.

Got mine in Gwinnett County, Georgia. It only took 21 says from start to finish, including 3 weekends and a holiday. I was very pleasantly surprised at the speedy service from government.
    Jollymann likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Jollymann View Post
    I have to point out that it doesn't really matter what the coppers think or what instructors think. All that matters is what the law says on notification. I mean to to hell with what they want! Notification is different in different states. In Arizona and New Mexico, you don't have to inform unless they ask. In Texas and Oklahoma for instance you do have to inform. If I can not make an issue of having loaded guns in the car then I sure as heck am not going to tell the guy about it! Why? So he can demand I surrender it to him for the stop for "officer safety" or some other bogus reason? I don't think so! So he can try to run numbers on it illegally? No! So he can maybe mark it with rings or something else metal in his car. No! So he can drop it and say, "Sorry too bad?" No! So he can use that to justify "probable cause" to search through your car, and possibly plant something there to incriminate you? No! Protect your rights and your property. Don't tell them jack unless you have to.

The cops are going to like what gives them more latitude on traffic stops. That has nothing to do with protecting your rights or Constitutional protections. They'd prefer it if you kissed their boots and allow them anything they wanted. Some times even experts like Massov Ayoob have this police reverence kind of mentality which isn't in our best interests as free armed citizens. I think you have to think about that.

D.M. Jolly
    Cool your jets there Jollymann, I don't disagree but how a cop relates to you is almost always dictated by how you react to him. I have good friends who are good people but when they get pulled over by the police they turn in to some honest to God fools! In 60 years I have had only one cop that approached me with a P Poor attitude from the get go. I did as I should have and held my tongue and followed all his BS orders but I did drive directly to where his boss was and filed a formal complaint. It was the third one that week on this particular officer and he has found a new line of work. I call them Gladiators or Road Warriors with a badge and there is no place in our society for these jerks.

Cops on the street have a very tough job but most are very respectable guys hoping to get home at the end of their shift. Treat them with respect and they are usually pretty decent guys as long as you are not pushing their buttons. They don't have much appreciation for deadly surprises and most of us here can understand that. If they have a need to know than they should be informed, otherwise, just shut up and do as they ask.

If they have a "need to know" then they can ask about it, but I don't think it's in my best interests to tell them unless I have to by the law, which in this case is kind of screwed up in those states where you have to. It opens the door to civil violations, besides simply the pure degragation of being disarmed by a stranger and giving him an opportuinity to not return it, abuse it, run numbers without consent, etc. That happened to me once when I was about 17 in high school, and I didn't like it at all then. I loved that .357 revolver and I hated someone else keeping it from me. It was in California in the 80's and they gave it back. I'm very keen on knowing what individual states have for that requirement as a consequence.

In any case I have no problem being respectful to the traffic cop as long as he's not abusing me. As for keeping my property, that's not going to make me feel very happy to say the least. For instance last time I was stopped was not that long ago. Perhaps a month ago. Driving to a pub. In this case it was a matter of him hiding out in this little area where I had not seen cops before. I rolled a stop sign, a little bit. So I stop and he's discussing it with me, where I have a Baby Glock 9mm on the long seat of my pick up truck. He may of seen it may of not seen it, but I had no intention of just telling him about it in that spot. Some other cop is staring at me from behind the whole time he's checking my truck and license. He had come two or three minutes later. It made me a little nervous but I kept my cool naturally. Wound up getting a warning which was the first one I ever had in my whole life. Always previously had citations, all the way back to age 16. So that made me feel better about this particular cop. The fact is besides my NOT disclosing the fact that I had a properly loaded pistol, he didn't ask. Even if he saw it, he still didn't ask. I'm quite sure it's not like that in many areas of the country.

D.M. Jolly

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links