CCL------why does it take so long?

This is a discussion on CCL------why does it take so long? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Jollymann If they have a "need to know" then they can ask about it, but I don't think it's in my best ...

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: CCL------why does it take so long?

Quote Originally Posted by Jollymann View Post
    If they have a "need to know" then they can ask about it, but I don't think it's in my best interests to tell them unless I have to by the law, which in this case is kind of screwed up in those states where you have to. It opens the door to civil violations, besides simply the pure degragation of being disarmed by a stranger and giving him an opportuinity to not return it, abuse it, run numbers without consent, etc. That happened to me once when I was about 17 in high school, and I didn't like it at all then. I loved that .357 revolver and I hated someone else keeping it from me. It was in California in the 80's and they gave it back. I'm very keen on knowing what individual states have for that requirement as a consequence.

In any case I have no problem being respectful to the traffic cop as long as he's not abusing me. As for keeping my property, that's not going to make me feel very happy to say the least. For instance last time I was stopped was not that long ago. Perhaps a month ago. Driving to a pub. In this case it was a matter of him hiding out in this little area where I had not seen cops before. I rolled a stop sign, a little bit. So I stop and he's discussing it with me, where I have a Baby Glock 9mm on the long seat of my pick up truck. He may of seen it may of not seen it, but I had no intention of just telling him about it in that spot. Some other cop is staring at me from behind the whole time he's checking my truck and license. He had come two or three minutes later. It made me a little nervous but I kept my cool naturally. Wound up getting a warning which was the first one I ever had in my whole life. Always previously had citations, all the way back to age 16. So that made me feel better about this particular cop. The fact is besides my NOT disclosing the fact that I had a properly loaded pistol, he didn't ask. Even if he saw it, he still didn't ask. I'm quite sure it's not like that in many areas of the country.

D.M. Jolly
    Yea, OK Jolly. 17 years old and in possession of a loaded .357! Like I have always said, I don't know the laws in all our states but I don't agree that any 17 year old should be dragging a concealed weapon around in a vehicle.
    I also don't think it is a good idea to be heading to a PUB while packing a Glock 9MM.

Keep in mind these are just my opinions but I will keep them no matter what you think. I too was 17 once and I do remember how ignorant I could be at times. Just so you are fully aware of some of the state laws, stay far away from NY, NJ, Conn, Mass and most of the north eastern states because they won't have much respect for any one who violates their laws. AZ might be different so just stay home. I don't care to argue these points with you because it is too hot to get my hip boots on. Quit while you are ahead!

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Gamalot View Post
    Yea, OK Jolly. 17 years old and in possession of a loaded .357! Like I have always said, I don't know the laws in all our states but I don't agree that any 17 year old should be dragging a concealed weapon around in a vehicle.
    I also don't think it is a good idea to be heading to a PUB while packing a Glock 9MM.

Keep in mind these are just my opinions but I will keep them no matter what you think. I too was 17 once and I do remember how ignorant I could be at times. Just so you are fully aware of some of the state laws, stay far away from NY, NJ, Conn, Mass and most of the north eastern states because they won't have much respect for any one who violates their laws. AZ might be different so just stay home. I don't care to argue these points with you because it is too hot to get my hip boots on. Quit while you are ahead!
    Don't make so many assumtions, friend. I wasn't violating any laws with what I described. I certainly don't need the lecturing. I'm not a kid myself. I mean really. I was trying to provide a little perspective and exposing myself in the process to make it more complete. I know very well that the laws, many of them especially with guns are totally screwed up out there in your neck of the woods. Don't freaking expect me to follow that bullcrap out here! I'm not sure about you, but I don't check my gun rights any time I have a frapping beer. I might leave it in the car, but that's the extent of it. As far as my 17 year old self goes, I was beating grown men in pistol comps at that age, was quite good, handy and responsible, and there was absolutely no reason whatsoever not to have one. Before I was 18, my father made a point of letting me have his handwitten note to qualify that. Those highway patrolmen were informed about it too. Living with a police state mentality is not my frame of mind. That's a fact.

DMJ.

P.S. It wasn't loaded right then. It was stashed in a van and the cops just happened to see it when I shifted it's location before we had to get out. They saw it with the klieglight. That was my personal handgun. We were out to go camping.
    Last edited by Jollymann; July 31st, 2012 at 10:01 AM.

I just noticed that if "approached or addressed by" a LEO, you have to inform the LEO of the permit and whether you're carrying. So if he says "How you doin'?", you're supposed to blurt out "I have a concealed handgun permit and I'm packing". Actually, it just says "shall disclose", so I guess you could just write it on your palm....

I don't know how these rules are written in every state but here is my take on them. If you get pulled over for speeding and the officer is writing you a basic ticket then you have no obligation to inform him. If he asks do you have any weapons then yes, you better fess up. If, for what ever reason, you are asked to step out of the vehicle, say a sobriety check or vehicle search, I would immediately inform the officer of any weapons in the vehicle or on your person. I highly doubt there is any such law directing you to immediately inform any and every LEO you come in contact with that you are carrying unless you are under some further action by said officer.
    I agree with your take as to what is prudent. I'll point out, though, that the first in-quotes portion of my post that you quoted is verbatim from the NC law, and the rest of the sentence is an accurate paraphrasal. So yes, there is at least one state law that requires disclosure "when approached or addressed" by a LEO. What "approached or addressed" means would be up to a judge.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters.
    If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters.
    --Alan Simpson

Distinguished Member Array dben002's Avatar
    I live in Forsyth county in NC..Submitted my cc application on Nov 7th. I have no criminal record not even a speeding ticket or parking violation. In September I was granted 3 permits for gun purchases (that took 10 minutes)....I was told at the Sheriff's office that they would call me in about 90 days if my permit is approved....They did not explain why it would take 90 days......

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    The FL office that handles CWFLs states up to 90 days for the license to be issued. Anything less than that is gravy. Mine, back in 2009 during the first panic rush, took the 90 days. It depends on the backlog.
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    My Pennsylvania permit was in my hand about six days after they received my application. My New Hampshire permit was similarly fast. Ohio took a little more than two weeks.
    "Who are the ones that we kept in charge? Killers, thieves, and lawyers"

Tom Waits, God's Away on Business

I think some states don't even have permit requirements at all.
    You live right below one of them.

Probably to make sure you are who you say you are, with todays modern criminals they can forge there i.d. And s.s # and claim they are (you) !!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by dben002 View Post
    I live in Forsyth county in NC..Submitted my cc application on Nov 7th. I have no criminal record not even a speeding ticket or parking violation. In September I was granted 3 permits for gun purchases (that took 10 minutes)....I was told at the Sheriff's office that they would call me in about 90 days if my permit is approved....They did not explain why it would take 90 days......
    Durham told me the same and it took 61. They tell you 90 so you don't start calling at Day 50. The reason it takes anywhere near that long in the first place, besides administrative malingering, are the health background checks they have to do. They can't be sure how long it will take the hospitals and medical offices you submit to return their requests for information. The fewer medical records you have floating around, the quicker it should be. I had a heart attack for which I was hospitalized five days and still got approved about a month earlier than they told me.

OK law says they have 90 days to issue your license. Last year, I heard stories from many who said it took 120 days to get theirs. Recently, I hear about people getting them in around 45 days.

I am currently on day 2, so I still have some time to wait.

Quote Originally Posted by BamaAlum97 View Post
    OK law says they have 90 days to issue your license. Last year, I heard stories from many who said it took 120 days to get theirs. Recently, I hear about people getting them in around 45 days.

That fluctuation is almost certainly due to backlog. If it takes 60 days before they even get to one, well then ...

Quote Originally Posted by BamaAlum97 View Post

That fluctuation is almost certainly due to backlog. If it takes 60 days before they even get to one, well then ...

Angry

Kansas is 90 days and it looks like it is going to take every bit it

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    I have not looked at all the replies and, being old, I may have already replied but remember "I am from the government and I am here to help". Combine that with the fact that budget cuts are going to happen to law enforcement areas that are not "critical" to public safety. Seems to me if you have to layoff or downsize in a state law department, you will go for those who handle more administrative activities like CCWPs and not the highway patrol or other front line officers.

Distinguished Member
    NC does a federal, state, city check plus they check out local hospitals and mental wards to see if u been visiting them for problems, can talk to ur personal doctor, then fingerprints each time. In Rowan County they hold the apps till the last day. Welcome to Kalifornia of the south....if u think this is a mess check out NC knife laws also?...
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms."*
    -Thomas Jefferson
    "The Constitution shall never be construed ... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."**
    -Samuel Adams

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links