CCL------why does it take so long?

This is a discussion on CCL------why does it take so long? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Isn't it as simple as doing a background check on a person? Here in NC it can take up to three months!...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: CCL------why does it take so long?

CCL------why does it take so long?

Isn't it as simple as doing a background check on a person? Here in NC it can take up to three months!

2. Remove Ads

Here in NY, excluding NYC, it can take upwards of 6 months. It begins with the county Sheriff and finger prints. He does a local background check on you. Then, if all is OK he sends it on to the FBI to do a much deeper background check that they usually sit on for a while. Once all the checks are complete and OK it comes back to the Sheriff who passes it on to the Judge. This is where the politics gets involved and if the Judge is Anti gun he probably has a pile of applications sitting on his desk and yours goes to the bottom. Other Judges act rather quick and still others demand to meet with each applicant face to face.

I always told my guys to be patient. They have lived for at least 21 years with out a CC permit so another 6-8 months is not a big deal. There are some counties here in NY where the Judges drag their feet a long time and even a few that refuse to issue permits unless there is some erroneous reason why the applicant should have one such as business owner making large cash deposits.

It is your right yet it is also very hard fighting City Hall. I tell all my guys to vote wisely because those who do get elected can effect our lives in many ways. The NRA publishes a list before every election and grades each politician. Any grade less than a B-B+ will never get my vote even if he/she is the prettiest thing to have ever stepped off the boat.

Gary
    Jollymann and Richard58 like this.

Got mine in 15 minutes, renewal takes 5 mins.
    We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal...

Alabama Constitution of 1901 - That every citizen has a right to bear arms in defense of himself and the state.

Florida - 2 weeks

Quote Originally Posted by Bhamrichard View Post
    This is exactly why we will never see any form of "Reciprocity" between states where concealed carry is concerned. One state has very lax laws while others are very stringent. I think some states don't even have permit requirements at all.

No need to shoot this messenger. I live in the state with the most stringent laws of them all and have held my permit for nearly 40 years. I did not make the rules and don't care to argue about them.

Gary

Seems to take forever here in MA for new apps too but renewals, or mine anyway take about 2 weeks. Depends if I mail renewal in or hand carry down. If I carry it in I get it back in a week. Our new applications go through the individuals city or town and they deligate one person to handle it at the local police station. And then there was only a couple of hours set aside on one day/week for application submittal, say Fridays 10am till noon. If you missed that window, well wait until next week. I remember, and it wasn't so long ago, the detective division did your prints before we got the scanners. You were told to come down on a certain time and day for the printing session but they were always "out of the office, working", hell, my town only had 2 detectives and very little crime. Almost makes one think they were stalling.

Quote Originally Posted by Bhamrichard View Post
    Now you are just rubbing it in.

Oh wait, same place I go.....

And for the OP - given computers and data bases, the check should take a day, at most. Or a couple, if they get backed up on a Friday or Monday. Enter the data in, check is essentially instant. Need fingerprints - okay, takes 10 minutes. Unless there are complications, it is that simple. Add in some time so the folks doing the processing aren't responding to when is my permit going to be ready all day, and you might be at two weeks.

VIP Member
    Depending on how the law is written, and state mandated checks, will depend on the length of time it takes. Here in Virginia they have 45 days to issue or deny your permit. If not issued or denied at day 45 day, you can go to the Court Clerk office and get a temporary permit.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

The delays obviously tell you something about that state's (and its minions') attitudes toward CC.

Notice how WI has issued over 76,000 permits in less than 4 months? Granted, it was a big effort with extra people pulled in to help with the initial surge, but it shows that the actual work involved does not need 30 or 45 or 60 or 90 or 180 days.
    ~~~~~
    The only common sense gun legislation was written about 224 years ago.

I carry always not because I go places trouble is likely, but because trouble has a habit of not staying in its assigned zone.

My Maine permit took 7 weeks on the money. The law says it will be issued or denied within 30 days...which even if they tried to use the excuse of business days only they were still a week late. I checked at the local PD where I submitted my application at the 4 week mark and the secretary told me it was out of her hands and was waiting for all the paperwork to return. It was pretty annoying to wait that long when the law says otherwise.

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    It depends on the county you are in. Some counties, like Forsyth (Winston-Salem) typically take about 2 weeks. Others like Guilford and Durham take the full amount of time allotted as a matter of policy. If you submitted your application after Dec 1st, they have 45 days. The word is that this is from the time they get all the records back, though I think that this is taking advantage of a possible loop hole in the law as the intent was clear when it was dropped from 90 days.

In the Commonwealth of KY it's about 15 days between completing the CCDW course and getting the certificate that says you completed the course.

Then the Commonwealth can take up to 90 days to process your actual application. So, worst case scenario is about 4 months.

That said, KY is very gun-friendly, including CCDW. In fact, OC is practically encouraged! The idea is to weed out folks incapable of making the simplest of decisions, or having basic self-control. If you can't sit still long enough to jump through these super-simple rules (goes the thinking) you probably shouldn't be hiding a gun in public.

The thinking is that if I can see that someone is armed and acting like a fool, I can take steps to avoid. But if someone's an idiot and concealing a weapon, I've lost that social advantage.

So....minimum grown-up steps required to conceal.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Depending on how the law is written, and state mandated checks, will depend on the length of time it takes. Here in Virginia they have 45 days to issue or deny your permit. If not issued or denied at day 45 day, you can go to the Court Clerk office and get a temporary permit.

And some counties are quite quick.

Got my original and renewals in a matter of days. I suspect most of the time it was in the Postal Service processes.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Cleveland County NC - Got mine in about 45 days. Fairly reasonable.

The FBI process takes only a few minutes. It is the rest of the BS take that so long.

When Somebody is detained by ICE they are able to run the prints using a portable scanner and get a reply almost on the spot.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links