Carry Options for the Overweight Impaired

This is a discussion on Carry Options for the Overweight Impaired within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello. I'm new to the forum so I hope this hasn't been covered too much. Being overweight I'm finding it to be a challenge to ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Carry Options for the Overweight Impaired

Carry Options for the Overweight Impaired

Hello. I'm new to the forum so I hope this hasn't been covered too much. Being overweight I'm finding it to be a challenge to find a good way to conceal carry. On other threads I've found Crossbreed is mentioned a lot. However, I have a Comp-tac which is similiar and it works great but with all the places that you CAN'T carry, I need something that is also quick to take on and off. Plus with the extra material and clips I find that it affects my cell phone and getting my wallet in and out. I guess that I could just unholster but for me it's also hard to move these types of holsters around to get them comfortable. I'm looking at getting a Smart Carry for some situations and also the Remora clipless but would like other suggestions. I'm not even sure that the Smart Carry would work well while sitting because of the belly overlap. I know with some holsters the love handles make the guns stick straight out when sitting and it seems that my larger ones actually work better. I know long term getting the weight off is a better option but I need good choices in the meanwhile.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    You pose some challenging issues. I have had many holster questions over the years, and ultimately all of them have been answered by this guy:
    Holsters Concealment Systems Gunleather Concealed Carry for Weapons
    He is knowledgeable, approachable, and very helpful. His number is on the site.
    "Who are the ones that we kept in charge? Killers, thieves, and lawyers"

Tom Waits, God's Away on Business

we need more info. what gun do you carry, owb, iwb, pocket????? i'm a big boy and carry in my pocket (lcr or kahr) or owb at 430ish with my p95

I'm probably open to all options but owb or shoulder holster. The ones that I would be carrying right now are S&W 642, which I usually pocket carry, Springfield XDSC40, which is the only gun I really trust after having bad luck with another brand when I started carrying, or Bersa Thunder 380. If I was going out at night and felt like I really needed something I would probably carry the XDSC in the Comp-tac but I'm finding for every day carry that I really need something more comfortable, lighter, and be able to take off and on easily. The 642 works good for jeans but in my Khakis can peek out and sometimes I get tired of it in my pocket. It's would also be hard to get out if sitting. I didn't have good experience with my P3at but at some point will probably get something like that for pocket carry again. I'm think the Bersa would be just about right with the right holster. I'm going to try the Smart Carry with the 642 and the Bersa.
    Mike1956, I'll check out that site.

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    how big are you? I'm 6'0 and 260 pounds, not all muscle........ah who am I kidding its mostly tactical flab, your best bet might be OWB bud, sorry to say it, but depending on how big you are it might be the only option. I would also suggest ankle carry, if you can reach your ankles. Sometimes for men of larger proportions like ourselves that gets a little tricky some days.
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

VIP Member
    Ankles - I have ankles??? JK, I am 6'5" & 340# I find the Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro very comfortable, my j frame just disappears and my G30 does as well. I also find it easy to conceal my G21. The PK BOP lets you carry IWB very comfortably and I believe that Rocky makes a snap on belt loop that makes getting the holster on and off easy. I just have regular belt loops on mine.
    jskp229 likes this.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

You mentioned several things that stuck with me; 1) You have a Comp-Tac that you like. 2) You enter "Do Not Carry" areas occasionally. 3) You find it inconvenient to "unholster" often. 4) You have problems with cell phone and wallet.

The first three can be addressed by leaving your holster on, but removing your weapon and putting it in a car-safe. Use the Comp-Tac and just pull your shirt over it with no weapon in it when you are entering a "Do Not Carry" area. There is no law (to the best of my knowledge) that says you cannot wear an empty holster anywhere you like.

The last one can be addressed by moving your cell phone and wallet to the other side of your body. That is what I have had to do, and it has become the "normal" way to carry my wallet and phone now.

Good luck with your issues.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

I've only been carrying for a week or so, but I like my Nate Squared tactical IWB holster. I have used a Kydex IWB and a Blackhawk SERPA OWB with my Sig P229 before buying the Nate Squared holster. It is very comfortable. I'm 5'11" and 295#.

Patented Design

IMO....the Remora holsters are pretty much for everyone and any carry. Only your mind limits you with what you can do. Over my many years of carrying concealed, I never actually wished I was larger in places...but at times I found it a challenge to carry in the places I have. Bearing this in mind, I would think a larger proportioned person may have less issues dealing with CC. I may have misconceptions about this. Each and every one of us work with what we have. Just the same way the 2nd amendment protects the rights of every American, the choice of carrying concealed leaves nobody out. You simply cannot narrow this down to pros and cons of what size you are just like you cannot narrow down concealed carry according to religious beliefs. We're all equal when it comes down to our second amendment rights, and we are all equal in asserting our rights no matter how we are built or what our religious beliefs are. Same goes for tall and thin or short and thick. One thing you need to know when you go into battle.......never...ever put yourself at a disadvantage according to what you think. Use all of your advantages, and know your weaknesses. Pretty simple when you think about it. Question yourself if you are actually impaired in any way. Confidence in yourself will amount to pulling the trigger when you need to. No criminal is going to assess how you look when they come down on you. The only thing they need to know is that you're gonna put them down when you need to. If you look in the mirror and think you can't, then quit looking in the mirror because you can. The truly "impaired" couldn't lift a finger to save themselves. You have obviously chosen to survive. Since you have decided to survive on your own, you need to distance yourself from the thoughts you have of not being worthy enough to do so. Make sense? Sometimes I tend to over-explain things. Simply put....sometimes I know that's what it takes to spell it out. You and I are the same and we believe in the same things. In what ways would you say we are different?
    mjb65 and mrkurt like this.

I got a Remora holster for the same reason regarding frequent need to holster/unholster. I don't like taking my pistol out of the holster. Remora's don't have clips so there is no limit to where you can place it (clockwise) and forward cant. I have bought some of the best name brand holsters out there. Now they all are stored away and I use only the Remora's. Home of the Original Remora No Clip Holster
    "I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." - Thomas Jefferson

I have lost a lot of fat over the past year. I found that if you have a large belly and love handles, then placing your holster around the 5 o-clock position flat against your large back muscle is much more comfortable there because you don't have the belly or love handles pushing against your gun, and that is also the only place I could carry where it didn't drag my pants down. I haven't had any issues at that position with comfort when sitting. Now that I have slimmed down, I can finally carry at 3 o-clock or even AIWB which for me is the easiest place to conceal a subcompact.
    "I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." - Thomas Jefferson

sgb
    Milt Sparks AXIOM

"There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

I use a cbst for my m&p 45 and its pretty comfortable but I'm not that big but not at all small. (6'1@250) I also ordered a remora for the m&p9c that will be in today!!

Try iwb if you already haven't. I'm 6 foot 300lbs and carry my pf-9 or lcr in high noon iwb holsters. The lcr rides in a split decision and the pf 9 in a bare asset. I would say I have larger love handles and for me I can carry either for 12+ hours strait.

Quote Originally Posted by Chesafreak View Post
    I have lost a lot of fat over the past year. I found that if you have a large belly and love handles, then placing your holster around the 5 o-clock position flat against your large back muscle is much more comfortable there because you don't have the belly or love handles pushing against your gun, and that is also the only place I could carry where it didn't drag my pants down. I haven't had any issues at that position with comfort when sitting. Now that I have slimmed down, I can finally carry at 3 o-clock or even AIWB which for me is the easiest place to conceal a subcompact.
    I'm 5'11" and currently 245 pounds (down from 287) and I agree with this. I carry my Glock 27 at about the 4:30 or 5:00 position in a simple Galco Tuc-n-go holster. Don't forget that a good BELT is a big part of the system too! It doesn't need to be expensive, but a goo stiff gun belt will make a world of difference.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links