Snubbie Accuracy

Snubbie Accuracy

This is a discussion on Snubbie Accuracy within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Lately I've been giving snubbies a second look. They seem to be far more accuarate than I had thought. I recently saw a guy make ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Snubbie Accuracy

Snubbie Accuracy

Lately I've been giving snubbies a second look. They seem to be far more accuarate than I had thought. I recently saw a guy make a shot with one that I would have bet the farm he couldn't have made. I guess I've always associated short barrels with less accuracy because of such a short sight radius. But it looks like my percepetions were way off. with that in mind, I've started giving them another look. what do ya'll recommend?
    I would rather die standing up than live life on my knees.

IMO-
    S&W and Ruger make great snubs... Taurus, Charter, and Rossi make snubs that work but are not as nice.

You gotta figure out what caliber, finish, barrel length works best for you.

For ME, a S&W 642 is perfect.
    claude clay and Eldon Hickey like this.

VIP Member
    I prefer my S&W 640. It is stainless, so it has a bit of weight and it gives you the option to go with .357 or .38 special. It is a joy to shoot at long range sessions and it conceals really well. Also, you can swap out the front sight for a Big Dot if you like as the front sight is pinned on. To my way of thinking, for a 5 hole revolver, it is about the best - unless you mostly want to pocket carry, then it may be a bit heavy and I go with my S&W 642 for that duty. I mostly carry snubbies on my belt as I can't hide them that well in a pocket (large thighs).

And yes, snubbies can be quite accurate.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

My personal favorite is the S&W 642. But I would give Ruger a real serious look also. Their LCR has a great trigger and is very light. The SP101 has almost a cult following. I've been thinking about both of these for a while myself.
    Question Everything!

My 642 surprised me as well, with it's accuracy. Can't beat it for what it's designed for.
    Light travels faster than sound...thats why some people appear bright before they speak

I'm kinda leaning toward both the 642 and the Ruger LCR. I like the stainless look on a 642 and weight is not an issue since I'll be belt carrying. The LCR is a lot more accurate than I gave it credit for being. I'll just have to practice a little more with a snubnose since I dont have much experience with them.
    I would rather die standing up than live life on my knees.

I can personally speak for the SP101. Mine is the 2.25" .357 Mag. It's a powerhouse, and very accurate for its size. Is it as accurate as my Taurus 669 in .357 with a 4" barrel and adjustable sights? Probably not, but for short range, it's surprisingly accurate! As others have stated above, I'm sure if you stick with Ruger or S&W, you'll be happily surprised.

Snubs are my choice. I have a few I rotate as carry guns. The SP101 and LCR 357 are carried as a pair. The SP is AIWB and the LCR 357 is in the off hand pocket. When I need a change or carry a third gun I have a 7- shot Taurus 617, or a 605 I can carry and I also have 2 J-Frames for pocket duty.

In most cases, it's not the snubbie, but rather the shooter that determines accuracy.
    Know your gun...practice makes perfect...
    bunker, Chevyguy85 and Knute like this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Bob Munden popped a balloon at about 300 yards with a snubbie (took 2 shots). The video is on youtube. This convinced me that snubbies aren't just "belly guns."

S&W 642/442 OR Ruger LCR are all good choices..

VIP Member
    Snubbies like any other gun, will do the job as long as you do yours. I have 2 older Ruger snubbies (speed 6 and security 6) both in 2.75" barrel.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

LCR all the way.

Before I was seduced by Glocks I was going to carry 2 snubbies. I still carry one....

It is the shooter.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    In most cases, it's not the snubbie, but rather the shooter that determines accuracy.
    Know your gun...practice makes perfect...
    Indeed and well said .

I really like my S & W 442 this weapon demands practice for sure .

It has a good size recoil for sure with stock gripps

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links