Proposed Ohio Law - concealed compartments in your vehicle

This is a discussion on Proposed Ohio Law - concealed compartments in your vehicle within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Secret compartments could get drivers busted | The Columbus Dispatch...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Proposed Ohio Law - concealed compartments in your vehicle

Proposed Ohio Law - concealed compartments in your vehicle

N8MNI
    Mark
    aka Double_Tap

2. Remove Ads

Laws like that scare me.
    Some over zealous LEO would make an issue out of a glove box or a factory installed storage area between the seat under the center arm rest.

"But your Honor it was a concealed space as it was covered by the arm rest and I couldn't see in it."

Same arguement that is made for a concealed weapon. " I thought I seen an outline of a handgun grip that was covered by his shirt."
    .45acpguy likes this.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    "A draft of the law describes a hidden compartment as a “space, box, or other closed container” that is added, modified or attached to an existing vehicle."

That would make a handgun (or any sort of) lockbox with security cable a violation of law. I don't see this as enforceable or constitutional. Far too vague.
    hogdaddy likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    Although I wouldn't want to be the test case, I don't think it would make it through the courts if fought. Just from what the article says, technically a safe installed in your vehicle would be in violation of the law.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    I miss Ted Strickland.
    "Who are the ones that we kept in charge? Killers, thieves, and lawyers"

Tom Waits, God's Away on Business

VIP Member
    From the comments section;
    Poster; privacy matters (myob)

We have got to get this guy out of our state. Hey Kasich, please step down and leave Ohio. We do not want you here anymore. What a great way to make everyone a "criminal". What next, outlawing pants pockets?

^^^^^^^^^FUNNY^^^^^^^^^^^^^

What the H.E. Double Hockey Sticks is one supposed to do when one buys a used vehicle, and it was rigged with a "secret compartment" by the previous owner, for whatever reason, and now you are the owner of said vehicle and get popped??

I've always been leery of who and where I buy my vehicles from.
    What if the previous owner did drugs/smoked pot or whatever, I buy the vehicle, and me or a family member is driving the vehicle, gets pulled over and something illegal is found?
    Life sucks sometimes.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Looks like another case of some idiot lawmaker trying to come up with a "law" to "fix" a non-problem--actually to come up with a law to get publicity from the media and make people believer they are going to "fix" a problem!

Just another useless law that hasn't been well thought out that isn't going to do anything constructive, yet could lead to numerous arrests of innocent people leading to countless court cases and considerable expense on the part of tax payers and innocent people before it finally gets thrown out as unconstitutional!

There are already enough "laws" to stop drug dealers--we don't need another useless one that won't actually do anything constructive to stop drug trafficing!
    lordhamster likes this.
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

Isn't it already illegal to smuggle drugs through Ohio?
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Kasich is a windbag moron. He angered law enforcement after being stopped for failing to yield to an emergency vehicle and then calling the Trooper an idiot on camera. I suspect he is now trying to suck up to the patrol for running his suck on camera.

He also tried to bust up unions collective bargaining rights which angered public safety professionals, so anything he does to "further public safety causes" makes me suspicious. He is just stroking the patrol to control damage.
    "Clearly that's a YOU problem not a ME problem."

VIP Member
    I agree that this is probably not Constitutional under Ohio's constitution. My rep and senator are going to hear from me on this one. Let's stop this in its tracks.

I have no problem with an added penalty if you are found running drugs and using a special compartment, but mere possession of a hiding place should not be a crime. Too many ways to catch up law-abiding people for committing no real crime.
    Crescentstar and ep1953 like this.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Every vehicle that I have every owned has a secret compartment or three in it. Every single one. Some are accessible and used for weapons, where legal, others I have discovered as I was running wires, etc. NO, NOT to operate the hidden tail lights!! ;) The fact someone even got this far with this lame brained idea shows they are ignorant and just looking for publicity.

Distinguished Member Array Doghandler's Avatar
    "Sir, do you know why I pulled you over?"

"Well, Officer, uhhhmmm..... you want to check out my secret places?"

oakchas likes this.

VIP Member
    OK, y'all, here is what I plan to send to my OH rep and senator later today. Please feel free to make any comments on it and suggest changes to improve it. If you like it as is, feel free to copy it and send it to your rep and senator.

Dear :

From an article in the Columbus Post Dispatch, it has come to my attention that Governor Kasich is promoting legislation regarding special compartments in vehicles and he wants to make them illegal regardless of why they exist or how they are used. The article is linked here http://www.dispatch.com/content/stor...rs-busted.html

According to the article, “legislation [is] to be introduced by Sen. Jim Hughes, R-Columbus, that would make it a fourth-degree felony to own a vehicle that has special hidden compartments – whether or not they are found to hold drugs.” Further, “A draft of the law describes a hidden compartment as a ‘“space, box, or other closed container”’ that is added, modified or attached to an existing vehicle.”

There are many legal uses for such compartments, some of which actually serve the public good. For instance, if a holder of a Concealed Handgun License (CHL) is legally carrying a weapon and needs to go into a place that is off limits, e.g., a post office, police station, church, etc., (s)he has to remove his/her weapon prior to entering the facility. Many CHL holders have a small safe in their car that is attached either by a cable, bolts or welding it in. These compartments would appear to be illegal under the proposed law. If CHL holders cannot use such compartments, they must leave their guns in the relatively unsecure glove box or console box that came with the car. This will result in the criminal element obtaining more guns than if small safes are used.

As I understand it, there is already a plethora of laws in Ohio against trafficking in drugs and even some that target specific hardware used in the process. Let’s use these laws to prosecute those who participate in this criminal activity. If the Legislature wants to put an additional law on the books to outlaw special compartments, target it to a demonstrated criminal use, not the mere existence of the compartment. To criminalize the compartment itself, without regard to how it is used is both likely unconstitutional and short-sighted. All this will succeed in doing is criminalizing citizens who are not committing any meaningful criminal activity and, among other things, making firearms more available to the criminal element.

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

VIP Member
    Here is the text of the proposed bill. Its intent statement is not too objectionable, but the way it is written does not conform to the intent section and appears to criminalize owning or operating a vehicle with a special compartment.

129_LB_2293_Page_1.jpg
    129_LB_2293_Page_2.jpg
    129_LB_2293_Page_3.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by buckeye .45 View Post
    Isn't it already illegal to smuggle drugs through Ohio?
    Only if you get caught
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links