Carry Always... And Tell?

This is a discussion on Carry Always... And Tell? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So I have read many threads on here about NEVER letting anyone know that you carry concealed. My question is, how is it going to ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: Carry Always... And Tell?

So I have read many threads on here about NEVER letting anyone know that you carry concealed. My question is, how is it going to be more socially accepted, and how are people going to become more comfortable with it if we never talk about it?

I tell people (friends and family), and I have found that many of them who were against it or were undecided on it, are now supportive of it, because they have seen someone who is responsible and is able to explain why he thinks that more responsible, law abiding citizens should carry guns.

What do you think?

My friends and co-workers know that I have my CPL here in Michigan, but I have never told them if I was carrying at that time. A couple friends have chosen to get their permits as well after talking with me about the process.

Quite a few people know I cc, as I have been doing it for a very long time.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Badey View Post
    So I have read many threads on here about NEVER letting anyone know that you carry concealed. My question is, how is it going to be more socially accepted, and how are people going to become more comfortable with it if we never talk about it?

I tell people (friends and family), and I have found that many of them who were against it or were undecided on it, are now supportive of it, because they have seen someone who is responsible and is able to explain why he thinks that more responsible, law abiding citizens should carry guns.

What do you think?
    I think you should consider open carry.
    Inspector71, Snatale42 and FTG-05 like this.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

I think the discussion is a great one to have. I don't think broadcasting that you're carrying is smart. You're carrying for the reason to protect, not to be an attraction.
    And you know I could have me a million more friends, and all I'd have to lose is my point of view. -- John Prine (A Good Time)

There is a great difference in "discussing" the 2nd Amendment and the right to own firearms, "discussing" the opportunities one has in their state to either get a concealed weapons permit for concealed carry and/or the right to open carry, "discussing" why people might conceal carry, and the discussing of self defense in general with a firearm AS OPPOSED TO discussing with folks whom you come in contact with that you have a concealed weapons permit and that you may or may not be carrying. The purpose of concealed carry is not only for the defense of yourself and/or your loved ones, but for tactical advantage thru keeping the BG's or anyone else guessing as to whether or not you have a permit and are armed. It is wise to be discreet as to whom you reveal the latter to outside of spouse and/or immediate family if necessary. JMO
    BkCo1 likes this.
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

I've got a group of friends here at school that we all swap stories of what we carry, and go shooting together occasionally. A lot of other people have only ever seen me open carry, so when they don't see it, they assume I don't have it.

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    I'm not a concealed carry missionary. That said, I have converted a bunch of people from anti to packing. I did it pretty much by example. They were at my house, i was packing. Sometimes they saw it. They always saw my reloading bench and hunting rifles. it was a natural feeling process.

I've had former Anti's call and ask if my offer for a safety class and range trip was still open. I won't take a newbie to the range with out spending some time around the dinette table with a presentation I've put together to make sure they understand the safety rules, and how to handle the pistols they will be shooting. I made up dummy bullets (bullet and brass but no powder or primer) for all the cartridges except .22LR. They have to practice loading, unloading, and clearing the guns we will be shooting at home first with dummy ammo. It works really well. They feel much less apprehensive about a range trip after that. I also always, no exceptions, start them out with a .22 revolver (my wife's 6" S&W M17-2), followed by the Browning BuckMark. Sometimes that's all we shoot on the first trip. Other times, depending on how it's going, we will move up to a powder puff load in my wife's 6" 686 (148g HBWC pushed by 3.5g of W231 in .357 brass). If all is going well, next is the P238 .380 semi auto. On rare occasions we get to the G19 and G26 in the first trip, but that's only happened with College age nieces and nephews so far. The G19 and G26 are usually the second trip. One of my nieces who played 4 years of HS and college basket ball tolerated 6 rounds in the M17, 10 in the BuckMark, shot one ragged hole with both and then said, now can I shoot the Glock? She shot the Glock like she had been born with it in her hand. I guess it help if you are an athlete? She's traveled to Europe to play backet ball on 3 occassions I know of. She has amazing hand eye coordination (and her CCW in NY State).

Fitch
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

You can always talk to others about the subject but I neither confirm or deny whether or not I'm carrying. I simply explain that all CCW holders make their own decision about where and when they carry.
    MrBuckwheat likes this.

I, for one, do not inform friends I am carrying. My two good friends know I carry almost all the time. Others, well, non of their business.
    Concealed is concealed.

I have acknowledged CCW after a long conversation over a period of time...I've talked about 15 people at school to seek out getting their CCW permits.
    I would say that that has been a positive thing.

My family up North are a bunch of anti's...I don't discuss guns or my carry habits with any of them...they don't ask.
    Any of my close friends down in the South have and carry guns...discussing it is very interesting.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

RKM
    People who know me know I carry. I'm not secretive about it, but I don't introduce myself..."Hi, I'm Rich. I have a G30SF on me RIGHT NOW!".

I tell very few people that I carry, but my business cards are in both of the local gun stores, so a fair number of people know I make concealed carry holsters. Some of them probably wonder if I'm packing when they see me around town, but haven't said anything.

Most of them wouldn't be surprised anyway. Last year the local paper ran a survey asking people if they were worried about the increased crime rate in the nation. Twenty five percent of the respondents answered "no" because they carry a concealed handgun.

I was at my newest grandson's 1 year birthday party Saturday. My son and his wife live with her parents and it was at their house. Dad-in-law is an occasional CCer and packs a Glock 27. He asked about holsters so I showed him my latest ones. I always carry samples in the car. I was packing, and was well concealed, but nobody asked and I didn't tell.

Tell or not, that's up to you. Judgement call.

One of the most important considerations, when carrying, is to avoid doing anything that "telegraphs" your intentions to a BG. If you have folks with you who do not carry--and they know that you do carry--count on them giving you looks and other body language that may very well tip off that you have a weapon or that you are--at least--a force to be reckoned with.

This eliminates your status of staying "gray" and unnoticed by a BG. THAT puts you into jeopardy. Blabbing about your habit of CCW just is not a good idea.
    DanielC likes this.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links