How many rounds do you regularly fire during weekly range practice?

This is a discussion on How many rounds do you regularly fire during weekly range practice? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So, I'm currently waiting on my CCDW to come through from the Commonwealth of KY, and I'm trying to put the time to good use. ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: How many rounds do you regularly fire during weekly range practice?

How many rounds do you regularly fire during weekly range practice?

So, I'm currently waiting on my CCDW to come through from the Commonwealth of KY, and I'm trying to put the time to good use.

I've been trying to get to the range every week, and I'm wondering how many rounds you CCDW regulars fire during an average training trip to the range?

For the record, I'm following the basic, common-sense advice: carry at home, practice drawing and trigger control (with snap caps), in addition to regular range trips.

So...how many rounds do some of ya'll fire on a range trip with your EDC for practice?

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array jblives2ride's Avatar
    Well for starters I don't go to the range every week, but I try to get their every other week, I shoot multiple guns so when at the range I generally shoot a box of cheap stuff either 50 or 100 rounds thru the guns that I generally carry...
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God,
    And die to find out there isn't, than live my life
    As if there isn't, and die to find out there is.
    God Bless

Usually 50 with EDC (.380) then 100 with the Model 41 target pistol (.22). Wife usually shoots 50 also (.380). We would shoot more if shooting less frequently.
    "The problem with trusting quotes on the internet is they're so hard to authenticate." - Benjamin Franklin

When I go the wife comes with me. We shoot 250-300 rounds combined. But that's whenever we can get time to go!

On average, I will fire 100-200 rounds of 9mm and 50-100 rounds of 45 ACP per range visit (usually once every 2 weeks). Don't get hung up on how many rounds you fire but rather concentrate on the quality of your range time. Try shooting from different positions if possible (standing, sitting, prone, on your back, at angles to the target, etc.) and be sure to incorporate movement if your range allows such. I am sure others here will offer more advice....
    claude clay likes this.
    I Shoot Birds With A Canon.

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    to carry it helps if you form a muscle memory for presenting the gun and firing it.

your practice at home; draw to low ready. and than at the range, picking up at low ready
    and aquiring the target for the 1st shot and firing.
    combine both and practice till you can draw and hit COM in 1.5 seconds.

muscle memory takes 3000 repetitons. and hiting COM is for you to practice till you do it.

once a week live fire--2 or 3 boxes when you are doing well. if you have a 'off' day,
    quit early and don't sweat it. we all have em and if you can not correct the problem(s)
    stop cause you don't want to reinforce incorrect practice.

for fun i shoot about 400 center fire and the same in 22's
    when i use to need to practice for IDPA it was closer to 1000 a week 45acp
    after you get as good as you are going to, maintaince may be as little as a box or so a month.
    LUV2CARRY likes this.
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

I shoot my Beretta Nano once a week and go threw 50 rounds.Then I have a couple 357's I shoot.Another 50 rounds threw the both of them.
    Don't believe everything you think.

Depends on what I'm going to do. Every week I put 100 rounds through my SA XD40 sc my regular carry. Now since I just got the G19 I will be doing 100 a week of each. I have started doing 20-30 lefty 70-80 right handed. From there it depends what else I decide to play with I might do 12 rounds of .357 mag, some .38, Just depends on what I'm doing and who I'm going out shooting with. sometimes will put 20 or so rounds through my buddy's px4 storm.

On average i shoot 150-250 rnds a week through each of my guns ccw sr9 .45 ACP and. 22

for my EDC about a 100 rounds every couple of weeks, I usually take my Smith and Wesson .22 and put about 250-300 through it.
    I would rather die standing up than live life on my knees.

VIP Member
    I try to go at least two weeks - if I can sneak out of the house Saturday morning and get back before the day gets away from me.

When practicing with my carry, I shoot anywhere from 100 - 150 rounds max. After that I'm pooped - at least in the sense that I'm getting any benefit from shooting.

Then, if I really have time, I might go through a .22 brick or more doing stupid stuff - making daylight in a target at 25 yards with my 10/22, or shooting groups like a robot at 10 yards with my MK III. Just letting off steam and relaxing then.

Thanks for the feedback, folks! I didn't see the benefit from more than 50-100 rounds in a weekly trip to the range, but what do I know!

Figured folks who had been doing it a while would have a better idea. Sounds like I'm not too far off what it takes to keep things sharp.

Jblitz, I appreciate the hints. I'm pretty familiar with muscle memory drills, and already have a "practice perfect" mentality....speed will come. Fast and crazy does no one any good, least of all me! Right now I'm trying to make sure I can draw and acquire a decent target smoothly.

My plan is to keep practicing at home (goal is 30 minutes a day or so) and hit the range (it's only a mile from home) once a week or so until I'm smooth and consistent.

Way too much. I could be rich if I invested my ammo funds. But you can't take it with you.

I shoot anywhere from 50-150 rounds of 9mm through my XD9sc...but not every week. More like once or twice a month. If I could afford to feed my guns ammo every week I'd do it in a heart beat. Depending on what I want to shoot I may also bring my AK or my AR. I will be shooting my AR a lot because I want to work on my "tactical" shooting skills. I want/need to pick up a .22 pistol of some sort to make range trips cheaper.

300-400 per range visit......I don't go as often as I used to!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links