Glock 26… nervous about keeping one in the chamber

Glock 26… nervous about keeping one in the chamber

This is a discussion on Glock 26… nervous about keeping one in the chamber within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So I'm a little nervous and I hope you guys can ease my mind. I've got a Gen4 Glock 26 and I really like it. ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Glock 26… nervous about keeping one in the chamber

Question Glock 26… nervous about keeping one in the chamber

So I'm a little nervous and I hope you guys can ease my mind. I've got a Gen4 Glock 26 and I really like it. BUT without an external safety, (other than my trigger finger) I worry about keeping a round in the chamber. I'm not too worried about accidental discharge due to me putting my bugger picker somewhere it doesn't belong, I just worry about running or jarring something to make the firing pin move forward in a rather quick motion. I'm planning on getting an ankle holster for the weapon and I normally carry IWB. I have a Berretta PX4 and I have no problem carrying a round in the chamber with this one. It has a de-cocker so I am not worried.. but the Glock 26 is a different story. Am I just being paranoid?

Quote Originally Posted by JD
    The OP is asking about a specific piece of hardware with mechanical differences to another gun, don't go posting any "An empty chamber = rock" type comments. Anything not addressing the actual issue will be removed and infractions issued.
    God made man……Sam Colt made them equal.

Beretta PX4 Carrier
    Fourth Gen Glock 26 Carrier

Use a snap cap and carry in a holster.
    Jar it as much as you can. Hit something soft with it. Also check the schematics of the Glock and see how the firing pin cannot reach the round without the trigger being pulled.
    Walk around with as you normally would. At the end of the day, see if it "magically" fired. Keep doing this everyday until you realize that it won't fire by itself.
    ironmike86 and jace33 like this.
    "One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them."
    -- Thomas Jefferson, Letter to George Washington, 1796. ME 9:341

Quote Originally Posted by logan.hanes View Post
    I'm not too worried about accidental discharge due to me putting my bugger picker somewhere it doesn't belong, I just worry about running or jarring something to make the firing pin move forward in a rather quick motion.
    You should be most worried about the former, not the latter.
    TVille likes this.

VIP Member
    So I'm a little nervous and I hope you guys can ease my mind. I've got a Gen4 Glock 26 and I really like it. BUT without an external safety, (other than my trigger finger) I worry about keeping a round in the chamber. I'm not too worried about accidental discharge due to me putting my bugger picker somewhere it doesn't belong, I just worry about running or jarring something to make the firing pin move forward in a rather quick motion. I'm planning on getting an ankle holster for the weapon and I normally carry IWB. I have a Berretta PX4 and I have no problem carrying a round in the chamber with this one. It has a de-cocker so I am not worried.. but the Glock 26 is a different story. Am I just being paranoid?
    So, just carry the Storm. Problem solved.
    Inspector71 likes this.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

The glock design has two drop safeties which protect you from your fear of making the firing pin move. First off there is a firin pin block the keeps the firing pin from moving forward untill it is moved by the trigger. Secondly the firing pin is blocked by the trigger bar that doesn't move untill the very last part of the trigger pull. So getting a glock to fire without pulling the trigger is practically impossible. You could drop it from 15 feet on the muzzle and it won't fire. A series 70 1911 will go bang doing the same thing. If you don't pull the trigger a glock won't fire. Also the striker is at rest and not partial cocked. Some striker designs have tension on the firing pin but glocks do not.
    The_Outlaw and bigmacque like this.

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    ...its like buying a car and willing to start it but afraid to put it in gear...

the car, err.....the gun is made to be used in certain ways.
    for the gun thats a round chambered and holstered till needed.
    if you can not abide this, than get a model that you feel safe with.
    safe is subjunctive and a plastic gun with a safety , get a springfield.
    it has the 1911 style palm grip safety. or your px4. or as others have
    suggested--study and understand how the gun is designed.
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

You will not be able to make it fire by bumping, jarring, vibrating, or otherwise roughly handling the 26. You could do karate kicks with it in your ankle holster and it wouldn't matter. If you partially disassemble it and intentionally circumvent some of the internal safeties in a specific way, you might. Routine abuse, no way. Try it and see.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

I carry a S&W M&P .40c, which also has no safety aside from not pulling the trigger. I've been carrying it for over two years now with a round chambered. I've carried it at work (IT), off-roading in my Jeep, hiking through the woods and while jogging/sprinting. I've also been rear-ended twice and side-swiped once while driving while I was carrying. No incidents (gun-related anyway).

It took me a couple weeks at first to start carrying with a round chambered, so I know the feeling. You'll be good though.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Fear is fear and if it is there you will never feel comfortable. I carry a G26 and/or a g23 and I use a saf-t-blok or a mic holster depending on the clothing.
    The saf-t-blok with the belly band or the mic holster when Mexican style carry with an over shirt; both are safe ways to carry without chancing an AD/ND

I don't own a Glock, but I have the M&P 9c. Like you, I made a post on a forum asking if it was safe. I got lots of answers. None said that the gun would have an AD. After a short while, I stopped being concerned about it.

Senior Member Array highvoltage's Avatar
    A bit. Glocks use a striker fire mechanism:

The striker firing mechanism has a spring-loaded firing pin that is cocked in two stages, powered by the firing pin spring. When the pistol is charged, the firing pin is in the half-cock position. As the trigger is pulled, the striker is then fully cocked. At the end of its travel, the trigger bar is tilted downward by the disconnector, releasing the striker to fire the cartridge.
    In other words, a full trigger pull is required to release the firing pin.
    AZ Hawk likes this.

Senior Moderator
    The Glock has some integral passive safeties that prevent the gun from firing if you jerk it, hit it or otherwise disturb it.

If you field strip your Glock, and look at the bottom of the slide, you will see a button on the underside beneath the extractor:

That button is the firing pin block. It is spring loaded, and physically prevents the firing pin from moving forward unless it is lifted from below. On the tigger bar, there is a cam that sticks up above the frame which moves back against the bottom of the firing pin block and lifts it out of the way when you pull the trigger. Unless this block is lifted up, the firing pin cannot contact the primer.

You can test this for yourself.

Make sure the gun is unloaded, then field strip it. Remove the barrel and recoil spring assembly from the slide. Pull the striker back a fraction of an inch and you will hear a small click as the firing pin safety resets. (It has to reset here because you just pulled the trigger to strip the gun).

After you hear the click, try to push the firing pin forward. You can't do it. Now, depress the firing pin safety button and hold it in while you push forward on the striker. This time, the striket moves forward and the pin protrudes from the breech face.

As you can see, without the trigger bar (or your finger pretending to be the tigger bar) lifting up the firing pin safety, the gun cannot fire.

Lock and load, and carry with confidence - your Glock is not going to fire unless you pull the trigger, even if you drop it, kick it, or hurt it's feelings.

Matt
    Attached Images
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Quote Originally Posted by Ecucmgt View Post
    The glock design has two drop safeties which protect you from your fear of making the firing pin move. First off there is a firin pin block the keeps the firing pin from moving forward untill it is moved by the trigger. Secondly the firing pin is blocked by the trigger bar that doesn't move untill the very last part of the trigger pull. So getting a glock to fire without pulling the trigger is practically impossible. You could drop it from 15 feet on the muzzle and it won't fire. A series 70 1911 will go bang doing the same thing. If you don't pull the trigger a glock won't fire. Also the striker is at rest and not partial cocked. Some striker designs have tension on the firing pin but glocks do not.
    Exactly right on!
    Also review the 21 foot rule.
    It will make you re-think your stance on not carrying in condition one.

Too close - dont underestimate the knife - YouTube
    ~The Dude Abides~

Any type of good holster from a reputable brand will insure that the trigger on your G26 never gets pulled. I was apprehensive about carrying with one in the chamber too; I got over my apprehension after carrying the gun without one in the chamber and with the trigger set. You do need to develop this confidence, so don't do it until you are ready.
    The_Outlaw likes this.
    "Though defensive violence will always be a 'sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." - St. Augustine

Gunny says:
    "Get over it you jackwagon! In the war I carried a 1911 cocked and locked, and it wasn't as safe as my Glock!"
    Well, gunny is the official spokesman for Glock... and he'd probably be paid to say something like that...
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links