Why is everyone looking at me?

This is a discussion on Why is everyone looking at me? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; As a new permit-holder, today was the first day I actually had anywhere to go where I could carry. What's that, you ask? Why don't ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Why is everyone looking at me?

As a new permit-holder, today was the first day I actually had anywhere to go where I could carry. What's that, you ask? Why don't you carry at work? I can't. I'm in the military. They don't trust us with firearms on base! Unless, of course, your some 19-year-old "security" officer. But I digress.

I hit the grocery store today with my LCP sitting at about 4:00 in my Remora. I couldn't help thinking everyone was staring at it. It was so far back there, I couldn't tell what my shirt-tale was doing. I think I'll be trying appendix carry. I know what's going on up there in front.

Am I using the wrong holster, or is this something you get used to?

I would say that it is in your head. You were probably looking at people to judge if they were looking at you and they just noticed the eye contact. I doubt they saw that little thing on your belt. It is something you will get used to. When you realize it is normal, they will know no better. Welcome aboard to the "using your 2A rights" crowd!
    tcox4freedom likes this.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    You get used to it. Years ago,first time my wife and I carried,I almost tripped over her at Wal Mart because I was looking around like everyone was watching me. Now,I don't give it a thought.
    hazard123 likes this.
    Pain is the best teacher,but nobody wants to go to his class.

When the past smothers the present, there is only desperation. When the future absorbs the present, life stands still. In either case a decision must be made because you only live now and you are only what you are now.

Relax, most people won’t even notice if you open carried
    Spec, Charles07, cj and 3 others like this.

I'm assuming you were OC (open carrying) if you were getting so many questions. Obviously, most people are instantly paranoid, uncomfortable and even fearful of the possible "crazy person with a gun" when they see non-uniformed person open carrying.

If you were concealed carrying, you're experiencing the normal "first carry paranoia" that almost everyone goes through during their first few weeks of carrying even though the weapon is well concealed. You know it's there, and feel that everyone around is doing a "trophy inspection" on you to look for any signs of a bulge, slight print, or whatever - when, in reality, only other CC or LE people would ever possibly do such on occasion.

If you were CC and getting a lot of actual attention from those around you, it was probably because your fly was open or you had a big piece of spinach hanging from a front tooth instead of a tiny buldge somewhere
    tcox4freedom likes this.

My Remora conceals my 3" Kimber ultra eclipse nicely at about 3:00. I find that if I move it back much I can't bend over with out the butt
    of the gun printing. Appendix conceals well when walking around but I find it uncomfortable when sitting. I cant the gun forward so the grip
    straddles the 3:00 line. Works for me.

I guess I'll keep fiddling with it then until I find what works best. To tell the truth, I'm less and less in love with the LCP. I originally bought it because I thought I'd be more likely to carry it than my G26, but the more I shoot it, the less I like it. I guess once it gets really hot and I'm wearing looser fitting clothes, it'll be nice to be able to slip it into a pocket. Either way I think I'll start looking around for a good holster for the Glock.

Any suggestions?

VIP Member
    It's all in your head. It will pass. Don't fiddle with your holster, that IS a giveaway to a keen eye.
    BugDude and hazard123 like this.
    I havenít heard any of the journalists who volunteered to be waterboarded asking to have their fingernails wrenched out with pliers, or electrodes attached to their genitals.

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    It's all in your head. It will pass. Don't fiddle with your holster, that IS a giveaway to a keen eye.
    Well, no, I didn't mean fiddle with it in public. I just meant, you know, in general.

VIP Member
    Relax, the first few times you carry you will feel like you have a billboard hovering above your head saying “I have a gun”. You will quickly notice most people have such tunnel vision that unless something bumps them on the nose they will never notice it. Generally people are so wrapped up with what is happening in their little corner of the world they wonder aimlessly about clueless as to whether sun is shining or if it is dark outside.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

I bought a Remora holster a month ago now and have not had any issues with it. Go test your CCW at home with someone else watching you to see how things fit. Your wife will let you know before going out in public!!! Take time to learn to use the CCW holster you bought before going out in public with it. This may take a day or 4 to do.
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144
    NRA Endowment Life
    There are NO Silver Medals for Street Combat
    Blue Thunder, I smell Victory in the Morning!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Moops View Post
    Well, no, I didn't mean fiddle with it in public. I just meant, you know, in general.
    OK, cool. I do see people checking and double checking their shirt tale all of the time and it's a dead giveaway. I check my shirt one time when I get up from sitting down and then I leave it alone.

As far as holsters go I suggest: 1st for OWB I like UBG holsters. They are top shelf and Nate is a former jar head and all around good guy.

2nd for IWB many people love the Cross Breed Super Tuck. It is very well liked.

For AIWB carry that you mentioned you could look at Don Hume.

There are lots of good holsters out there. Take a look at UBG's website first though.
    I havenít heard any of the journalists who volunteered to be waterboarded asking to have their fingernails wrenched out with pliers, or electrodes attached to their genitals.

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    OK, cool. I do see people checking and double checking their shirt tale all of the time and it's a dead giveaway. I check my shirt one time when I get up from sitting down and then I leave it alone.

As far as holsters go I suggest: 1st for OWB I like UBG holsters. They are top shelf and Nate is a former jar head and all around good guy.

2nd for IWB many people love the Cross Breed Super Tuck. It is very well liked.

For AIWB carry that you mentioned you could look at Don Hume.

There are lots of good holsters out there. Take a look at UBG's website first though.
    I think I might check out one of those UBG's. I'm thinking OWB might be a bit more comfortable.

Before you know it, it will be as normal as wearing your socks. Check out the Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro, you can carry it either IWB or OWB in several different cants. About 23 different positions with the same holster.
    hazard123 likes this.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

The first time I carried in public was with a Sig P226 at a hippie co-op on the way to a camping trip. It felt like an anchor welded to my hip and I thought that I was obvious to everyone. Nobody noticed a thing. It's like a first date - complete over analysis...
    msgt/ret and atctimmy like this.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links