How do you carry everything?

This is a discussion on How do you carry everything? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The more I read, and the more I think about it, it becomes apparent that carrying a pistol isn't my only goal. In an ideal ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: How do you carry everything?

How do you carry everything?

The more I read, and the more I think about it, it becomes apparent that carrying a pistol isn't my only goal. In an ideal world I would also carry a spare magazine, flashlight, pocket knife, and some kind of spray. What I'm asking is how in the world do you carry all of this stuff along w/a wallet, cell phone (mine happens to be a huge HTC Evo), change, keys, lighter, etc. etc.

My dress code at work is pretty much khakis and a polo shirt in the summer, so I'd like to figure out some strategy on how I can carry everything I want, fit the dress code, and not look like I'm wearing Batman's utility belt. LOL Although I plan to carry a M&P9c, that doesn't matter a whole lot for this discussion, I want to see ideas from everyone.

Pictures would be great, but just a description of what you carry and where would be very helpful.

If there is already a thread about this, please just point me that way and I will get this one closed. I couldn't find it using the search because I couldn't come up w/ the correct search terms.

Thanks!

2. Remove Ads

I carry keys, chapstick, eye drops, pocket knife, flashlight, 3oz. can of pepper spray, M&P .40c, spare mag, wallet, iPhone and company Blackberry. Everything but the M&P goes in the various pockets. I have multiple pairs and wear them with a tucked polo for work. CrossBreed SuperTuck for my holster.

Edit: Helps if I link to the product I use, heh. 5.11 Tactical TacLite Pro Pants are in stock now. 511 Tactical is the #1 choice of the operator.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    adjust your dressing for the seasons and the different (3 minimum) guns you will carry

my Sig C3 IWB disappears behind a tuckable shirt
    the 642 is in a vest or coat pocket and
    a K-T p380 is in its oun holdster in a front pocket.

i usually leave the house with 2 of the 3 and
    a pocket knife--

the knife clip being the only thing others may notice.
    surefires are in each car and may go in a coat pocket when i leave the car
    and its dark or will be soon.
    Be aware, be deliberate in your actions and be accurate.
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

VIP Member
    Here are some pics I posted awhile ago. The belt is a Wilderness, and what you don't see is the cell phone and mini-flashlight in my left front pants pocket, and the double mag OWB pouch, also made by Brommeland, at the 8:00. My wallet is in the usual place.
    Brommeland Max-Con V IWB Holster
    "Who are the ones that we kept in charge? Killers, thieves, and lawyers"

Tom Waits, God's Away on Business

+1 pn the Tactical Pants. BTW it is now OK to leave your shirt tail out of the pants. There are lots of shirts that are made for "Carry" that include snaps and magnetic holders on the front and velcro on the sides to permit fast opening when needed. I have a nice selection of all of these and they are confortable and do not scream gun. My cell phone and glasses go into the top shirt pockets. I also don't carry spray but do have a clip knife in the right pants pocket with spring opening assist.
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144
    NRA Endowment Life
    There are NO Silver Medals for Street Combat
    Blue Thunder

VIP Member
    Most will say I don't carry enough. I won't argue.

Wallet, keys, chapstick, pen, pocket knife, phone & firearm and I'm done.

I'd really like to carry pepper spray, but I haven't figured out a way to do so without going to a bat-belt. Avoidance is my game plan. Other than that, the bad guy's is just gonna have to settle for me shooting him for presenting an immediate lethal threat.
    Attached Images
    mano3 likes this.

I am all lightweight....

IMG_0638 (Large).jpg

Lightweight revolver AIWB on a wilderness belt
    Either a speed strip or a speedloader in back R pocket
    Keys in front R pocket
    Maratac AAA flashlight in front L pocket
    Chapstick in front L pocket
    Leatherman Skeletool in frront R pocket
    Lightweight front pocket wallet in front L pocket
    Phone in back L pocket

Done

Anything else I need is in my backpack... but on my immediate person I am all about lightweight and small. I can handle 99% of the situations that are thrown at me, in the rare event they are. My knife is a tool, as is my flashlight..... I do not plan on getting into mortal combat with my knife, nor clearing room by room with my light. I am confident and secure with my choices.

VIP Member
    It is easy to be overwhelmed with "necessities" involved with self defense. Each one of us must do a little self-assessment of what our particular risks are. Some may be perfectly comfortable with a minimalist mentality towards gear. Others won't be comfortable without a flak jacket and grenade launcher.

My load out on an average day is as follows:

Wallet/ note pad w/ pen - left front pocket
    Keys/ change/ work phone - right front pocket
    Smart phone - right rear pocket or shirt pocket
    Folder - clipped IWB above left rear pocket
    light - clipped IWB above right rear pocket
    Primary handgun - IWB @9:00 (lefty)
    Spare mags -OWB @4:30
    Secondary handgun (when carried) - OWB @3:00

I hope that helps.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

I carry a gun and a 3" folder. no extra ammo. sometimes I carry a small light.

IMO, if you plan for the apocalypse, you'll find yourself trying to conceal a 590 and an M1a. I don't carry for a toe to toe fire fight but for the average mugging/robbery. I've got a lot of respect for those that kit-up to that extent though. good for you guys.
    DanielC likes this.

Since I've started carrying, I now wear all my shirts NOT tucked in (helps hide that ol' pot belly!)

Taurus .45 on right side/inside-the-waist clip holster
    Wallet in right back pants pocket
    iPhone & extra mag in left back pants pocket
    Pen knife in right front pants pocket
    Keys in left front pants pocket
    US Air Force, 1986 - 2007

"To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them..." George Mason

cj
    My secret is 5.11 Covert Khakis. Each front pocked has an extra zippered pocked with elastic magazine holders...which in addition to magazines also nicely fit flashlights and knives that have clips. Suddenly you can carry lots of stuff without it being exposed, all while being able to carry OTHER stuff in the same pockets. So I've typically got:

Left pocket: Cell phone, pocket change, lucky charm
    Left 'hidden' pocket: magazine, knife, flashlight
    Right pocket: Keys (with another flashlight on keychain)
    Right 'hidden' pocket: LCP in pocket holster if I'm not carrying IWB

And it looks like I'm wearing normal work khakis. You do give up a little speed in accessing the stuff in the inside pockets, but you're also not going to somehow dump a mag, knife, or flashlight by accident...and it's simplicity itself to unzip and stick your hand in a pocket to get a grip on the LCP if the need arises.

Quote Originally Posted by cj View Post
    My secret is 5.11 Covert Khakis. Each front pocked has an extra zippered pocked with elastic magazine holders...which in addition to magazines also nicely fit flashlights and knives that have clips. Suddenly you can carry lots of stuff without it being exposed, all while being able to carry OTHER stuff in the same pockets. So I've typically got:

Left pocket: Cell phone, pocket change, lucky charm
    Left 'hidden' pocket: magazine, knife, flashlight
    Right pocket: Keys (with another flashlight on keychain)
    Right 'hidden' pocket: LCP in pocket holster if I'm not carrying IWB

And it looks like I'm wearing normal work khakis. You do give up a little speed in accessing the stuff in the inside pockets, but you're also not going to somehow dump a mag, knife, or flashlight by accident...and it's simplicity itself to unzip and stick your hand in a pocket to get a grip on the LCP if the need arises.

And pray you don't fall into a body of water.
    And you know I could have me a million more friends, and all I'd have to lose is my point of view. -- John Prine (A Good Time)

Eye glasses and a pen in my shirt pocket or clipped to my belt loop in a nylon case for tee shirt days.
    Taurus 380 IWB cross draw at 1:00
    Chain type wallet in left rear pocket
    comb in right rear pocket
    cell phone and sometimes an extra mag in front right pocket
    Keys, change, and a small pocket knife in front left pocket.
    Dress code for me is jeans and tee shirt in summer, jeans and flannel shirt in winter.
    Shall not be infringed means - shall not be infringed.
    Member - NRA
    John

You may not have figured this out yet, but not every thing has to be carried on person (on body).
    by all means keep the extra mag and firearm on your person. Some stuff can go in a small off body carry bag of some sort.
    A vest can help give you more pockets, and can be removed once at work location (the same with a jacket). A lunch box can carry more then just a lunch.
    The trick is figuring out what needs to stay on body, and not off body. ;)

I'm a jeans and t-shirt guy on several EDC forums and I've finally dialed in what works for me (summers are cargo shorts).

LF pocket - iPhone and Surefire Pen
    LR pocket - wallet and Surefire flashlight
    RF pocket - chapstick and knife
    RR pocket - empty (gun prevents easy access)

M&P9c or LCP IWB at 4:00
    Extra mag at 8:00
    Suunto Core on right wrist.

I prefer to keep everything in the same place regardless of clothing. I just like the consistency, but I may not always carry everything!

I have everything I need but feel pretty streamlined, and I certainly don't have a Utility belt going on!
    Smith & Wesson M&P 9c
    Ruger LCP with CT laser grip
    Emerson Combat Karambit
    Ol' .22LR

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links