Backup choices .32 vs .380

This is a discussion on Backup choices .32 vs .380 within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I do not want to discuss balistics. I know all the arguements already. I am looking to replace my .25 backup gun with a .32 ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Backup choices .32 vs .380

Backup choices .32 vs .380

I do not want to discuss balistics. I know all the arguements already. I am looking to replace my .25 backup gun with a .32 or a .380. I have decided to get a Kel-tec platform, but I do not have the option to fire either weapon. They are basically the same gun just different calibers. The question is recoil, weak hand shootability. I think if I have to use it for defense it will be dump the mag and run since my main carry gun is a glock 19. Any help ? CARRY ON!

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    It's tough to advise you here. I barely notice the recoil on my .380 LCP, yet I've heard others say that it actually bruises their hand.

If they made a 9mm in the LCP dimensions and weight, it would become my backup or 'pocket primary' on days when that's all I can conceal. I believe in carrying as much gun as you can.
    oneshot likes this.

There is one 32 out there that packs a big punch..the 32NAA. It is a 380 cartridge necked down to accept a 32. Only problem is North American Arms is the only one currently making it. There are a few Kel-Tecs out there in this caliber but good luck finding one. Now on the plus side it clocks a 60 grain bullet out of a 2inch barrel at 1200FPS. Corbon is the one that makes the ammo for it.
    Current collection: Too many according to the wife...

Between the two bad choices,,,, choose the 380 ,,,, better of the two.

Having fired a co-worker's Kel-Tec .32 and .380 I recommend the .380.

The first pistol my wife wanted was the Ruger LCP, very similar in nature to the P3AT.

She now has a .357 Ruger LCR and I carry the LCP.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

buy the 380

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    It's tough to advise you here. I barely notice the recoil on my .380 LCP, yet I've heard others say that it actually bruises their hand.

If they made a 9mm in the LCP dimensions and weight, it would become my backup or 'pocket primary' on days when that's all I can conceal. I believe in carrying as much gun as you can.
    I also have a LCP BUG. I think recoil all comes down to how if fits your hands. I have G21 sized hands and the LCP is not pleasant to shoot. I also have to be careful with my left thumb to be sure that it does not go out past the muzzle. That having been said, for the BUG role (or occassional primary use), I like it. I would go with the .380.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

VIP Member
    Why not just stick with a proven winner (and the same spare mags) and go with the Glock 26?
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

The .32 is pretty weak. Recoil in the .380 is snappy but not unpleasant. (I bought one for my wife, but she didn't like to shoot it. Now it's mine as a BUG) My EDC is a Glock 27, but the Keltec is nice as an adjunct. It's so small it can be carried in a shirt pocket

From the choices you have given us. Get the .380, the recoil isnt that bad...

Just my opinion, but I've heard and been told by MANY that you should trust NOTHING less than a .38 for self defense. My primary carry is a Glock 30 (subcompact .45 ACP that holds 10 rounds, then I carry an extra mag on my weak side). My bug is a Ruger SP101 (.357 5 shot revolver). I found the .357 kicked like a mule, so I load it with .38 P+ rounds with two .357 rounds...just in case. I carry that one in the car, or occasionally at the ankle. You'll find LOTS of opinions on this subject, but this is what I've been told over and over by a number of different people.

VIP Member
    I'd opt for the .380. Haven't shot the Kel-Tec P3AT, but I have shot the 32 and was not impressed with it.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

380 will get the job done small fire arms have more recoil just the way it is what it a lot to some is nothing to others.

A 380 is fine for a BUG and guns like the LCP or P3AT can go in the pocket and become practically unnoticeable.

I'd recommend the LCP over the P3AT. For a little more money you will get a much more refined product.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

In a moment of weakness, I opted for the Kel-Tec .32 instead of the .380 for just a few bucks more. It's clearly an eye-socket gun, and only gets carried when everything else is too bulky. It shoots fine, it's better than a .22, but one of these days I'll get around to trading up to the .380.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links