What a difference a year can make!

This is a discussion on What a difference a year can make! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; It is August 28, 2006 About a year ago, my family and I were hunkered down at the TV station I worked at (WKRG) in ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What a difference a year can make!

What a difference a year can make!

It is August 28, 2006

About a year ago, my family and I were hunkered down at the TV station I worked at (WKRG) in Mobile Alabama and we were awaiting the big hit by Katrina. It was the beginning of a seriously crappy 3 weeks of no electricity, $5.00 a gallon gas that I had to drive 60 miles to get, M.R.E.'s, cutting up trees that fell, helping family and friends cut their downed trees up, and just generaly being miserable.
    The wind was picking up, the rain was starting as the outer bands of Katrina were coming ashore and things were starting to look grim for our part of the Gulf Coast.

The next day, Katrina took a slight wobble to the East and we got hit pretty bad. Not as bad as Biloxi but we got hit hard. (I presonaly am still upset at how the main stream media seems to focus on New Orleans and ignore Biloxi. Biloxi got hit and devestated far worse than New Orleans but the death toll was not as hight because the people on the Mississippi Gulf Coast are for the most part not liberals and knew they had to depend on themselves to evacuate, and that is what the majority of them did.)

It was 2 days before we were allowed back down the country road we lived on. We did not lose our home. Some damage but it was not as bad as I had feared it would be. There was a cerfew in effect and I got pulled over 3 times in 3 nights for being out after cerfew. Each time, when the officer found out I was on my way home from work, they told me to drive carefuly and have a good night. One of them, a Mobile County Deputy Sheriff, asked me if I had a gun with me. I told him that yes I did and that I had a CCW permit. He did not ask to see either but instead said, "Good, can't be too careful right now." Then waved me on through the road block. A good expereince.

Driving at night during those weeks was like driving around in the 1860's. No glow on the horizon from a city or from street lights. No lights on in homes as you drove past them. Only darkness and stars.

Now it is one year later. My family and I live in West Tenessee. Arlington Tenessee to be exact. Nicer house, better schools, and more money for both of us in the jobs we have now. This hurricane season has been very quiet by comparison but I still do not miss the worry and angst associated with the 6 months of hurricane season. Always dreading the weather report, waiting for that next storm to take aim at your home. I don't miss that. At all.

My wife and I have our Tennessee Handgun Carry Permits and we carry here every day. In fact, I carry openly now about 80% of the time. That is something I could not do in Alabama.

Just 365 days have gone by but, our lives are completely different. I was just thinking about it and I was amazed at the difference a year can make.
    Thought you guys might like to hear that.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

2. Remove Ads

PT-111, glad to hear things have gone well for you post storm. I've now been through 7 (and my worst one was Andrew, way too near the eye and on my boat!) of these charming events and the weather report this morning is telling me #8 is probably on it's way. At least it's not a major one, I hope.

Anyways sounds like you're doing well so may Gods blessings continue for you and your family! I'm hunkering down!!!!
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

Seems like last week for me!
    Now it looks like a direct hit for us again.
    "A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."
    - Sir Winston Churchill

Lead Moderator
    Thanks for sharing that. One heck of a difference between NO and everyplace else.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Below sea level, and evacuation

I watched the Katrina disaster, fortunately from a great distance away. It seemed to me that the big problem in New Orleans was that most of the city is below sea level (or Lake Ponchartrain level), and that when the levees broke the place was flooded badly for a long time. I believe that Mobile is somewhat higher elevation and escaped that.

As for evacuation, you are correct that a greater percent of the population evacuated in coastal Alabama than in New Orleans, and that was a good move on their part. I think the wind damage may have been worse in coastal Alabama and Mississippi than Louisiana, from the pictures I saw.

Assistant Administrator
    PT - you are right - a year can see a huge turn around for many folks. I am sure all those memories from a year ago are indelibly etched - and as vivid now as then. I was very aware even from afar how Biloxi got a raw deal from the media - the damage was catastrophic.

I have to add tho how things can change in just 24 hours too - by a quantum leap. It so happened that on Monday Sept 10 2001 I flew back in to DC from the UK - all was normal and I finally got out of the airport, collected truck and drove home.

Everything was nicely normal - and after unpacking I turned in for a welcome sleep. Next morning over coffee I watched the onset of the WTC horrors unfold - in such a short time things had changed beyond imagination's possibilities.

Glad you are so well settled now in TN.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

PT111 I think I have welcomed you to TN. I am about ten miles on the other side of Hwy 70 in Tipton Countyfrom you. I, as a retired sailor who had to keep a weather eye open, can, to some extent, empathise with you. Being inland does have its benifits.
    One should never confuse good fortune with good training.
    Illegitimus Non Carborundum.
    In God we trust.

Here is a site to see the weather unfold in real time. Sort of like a live hurricane tracking chart.

http://www.intellicast.com/IcastPage...=none&pid=none
    Life is too short to be serious!

VIP Member
    Mike, I know what you mean. I spent 14 years in City that Care Forgot (New Orleans). I had no real weather problems until about 6 weeks before we left. The May 7,1995 flood. 18" of rain in 24 hours. 15" between 8 PM and 11 PM. The pumps will remove 1" per hour for the first hour and .5" per hour after that. By 11 PM they were 13" behind. Both cars were parked in the driveway which was about 8" above street level and both got water in them. We evacuated a couple of times, got trapped at the office by flood waters, and such but no damage until May 7, 1995. We almost made it.

Here is West Central Alabama we catch the edges of hurricanes, we'll have a tree or two go down and occasionally some roof damage. With Katrina we were without power for about 32 hours. Generator worked perfectly.

Glad you are out of harms way from hurricanes. The only thing is: as good as Tennessee is, it still ain't Alabama.

Have a good day, my friend.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Agreed George.....we like it here fine but it still isn't Alabama. For that matter, it isn't Indiana, which is the state I was born and raised in. My wife is from Alabama, I am just kind of transplanted. In fact, I am what is known as a "Damn Yankee".

The difference between a Yankee and a Damn Yankee? A Yankee is just someone from the North who is visiting. A Damn Yankee is someone from the North who came for a visit and stayed.

,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

PT-111: You seem happy in TN, and get to look back at what happened, and how life has changed. TN must be good for you. Congrats, and welcome to the "south" from a "Damn Yankee"

glad to see things worked out good for you PT. And i know what you mean by being a damn yankee. Grew up in WI and moved here cause of my wife =O)

VIP Member
    Mike, I always called those Yankees that came South and stayed - Converts. All true Southerners are by choice. Those of us who tried elsewhere and came back, those of us who never left, and the Yankees that came down, saw the light, and changed their allegiance.

That means that when we true, natural bawn Southerners call you folks "Damn Yankees" we mean it as a term of endearment.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Well, as one person I knew put it "Don't know that i've seen many folks retire and move to the north!"
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

Glad everything worked out for the best, PT!

You are correct about Biloxi-I have family there (my wife is a Biloxi native) and it is still bad, although it is slowly improving.

The media will focus on New Orleans, because of the percentage of .gov leeches that lived there, and of course, took absolutely NO responsibility for themselves. Now they are spread out over the region, and STILL depending on the .gov teat.

It's also funny how where any concentration of people from New Orleans are, the crime rate makes a significant spike!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links