CCW application makes me potential homicidal maniac??

CCW application makes me potential homicidal maniac??

This is a discussion on CCW application makes me potential homicidal maniac?? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So I was applying for a non-resident Virginia carry permit the other day (it gives me OH). I had to have the form notarized, so ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: CCW application makes me potential homicidal maniac??

Angry CCW application makes me potential homicidal maniac??

So I was applying for a non-resident Virginia carry permit the other day (it gives me OH). I had to have the form notarized, so I went to a local notary. She asked what I needed to have notarized, so I showed her. She almost passed out and got REALLY nervous. She said, "I didn't realize that this area was so dangerous." After she notarized the form, she said, "Be careful, I don't want to hear about you on the news." I said that I would be, and she replied again, "I'm serious, YOU BE CAREFUL.... I don't want to hear about you on the news."

So... apparently, legally applying for a carry permit means that I am applying to be a homicidal maniac in her mind...

VIP Member
    I think you interpreted this in one of the two ways it could have been meant. It wasn't by itself
    a comment that she thinks you are the problem.
    RMS likes this.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    Hey Badey: I agree with Hopyard. I did not even think of her reply the way you did. I truly believe that she was trying to be nice to you and hoping you never have a problem. She wrongly surmised that your need for a CCWP is because you have had significant problems or will be having same.
    I tend to end conversations with LEOs that I know or meet with a "be safe" comment. I do not mean that I expect them to be in gunfights all day long--I mean that I just want them to be safe considering what their job is.
    Hopyard and RMS like this.

Distinguished Member Array Toorop's Avatar
    Could it be she meant she didn't want you to be the heroic CCWer who saves the day?

You all make a valid point... I may have misinterpreted what she said... She just seemed to be saying it the way that I interpreted it (her intonation), but I may have been overreacting.

I also think you misinterpreted her comment. I think if she had been an "anti", she would have let you know real quick that she opposed concealed carry and that she was reluctant to notorize the form. JMO
    JDE101 likes this.
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

It sounds to me like she was expressing concern about the area and that if someone felt the need to apply for a concealed weapon permit, she must be living/working in a dangerous location. If that was her thinking, I'm not sure you can make a valid inference that an area is unsafe just because one person is applying for a permit. It seems she was expressing her concern for you and wanted you to be careful that you didn't get victimized.
    Ben

Cogito, ergo armatum sum. I think, therefore I am armed. (Don Mann, The Modern Day Gunslinger; the ultimate handgun training manual)

I think the notary was being genuine
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Probably a good thing you didn't say: "Well you be carefull too, this area is dangerous and I don't want to hear about you on the news either."
    multistage and kante like this.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

I've got folks say that very phrase to me as well, and they all mean "I don't want you to get hurt, either by a bad guy or a mistake. Be careful!"

I think she was being nice, and wishing good things for you.

I think that there are many people who are "agnostics" when it comes to 2A issues. Since it has not been a daily issue for them, when anything involving guns comes up they think--reflexively--about violence.

I do not think that she was making any kind of negative judgment about you. But she may have been concerned because (perhaps in her estimation) her perception is likely that people who have guns tend to go in harms way. If I am correct, she was expressing genuine concern for you. Bless her!

Obviously first impressions are lasting impressions, but, just as you wouldn't want someone to jump to a conclusion about you carrying, I think we should make an effort not to jump to conclusions about others' as well. Not at all saying that's what you did, but for instance, when I first met my girlfriend and the topic of gun control came up, she seemed to be all for gun control. When she found out I carried, though, she was actually fascinated and wanted me to take her shooting with her. She still won't carry, but she is not at all opposed to guns in any way anymore.

People come from many different backgrounds, and I think in a lot of cases their opinions are somewhat formed because of their backgrounds. I think most of the antis are a product simply of being uninformed about guns in general. It's easy to be scared of something you know very little about.

It sounds to me like this woman was one of those people. She doesn't sound like she's downright opposed to guns, but obviously they make her nervous. She's probably just never been around them!
    "Shoot low boys, they're riding Shetland ponies." -Lewis Grizzard

VIP Member
    Maybe she knows something about you that we don't!! J/K

I think your reading more into her comment than there probably was.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

When the transaction was completed, you should have asked if the social commentary was extra?
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Seems everyone has forgotten the important question.

Was she hot? Maybe she was hittin' on you?
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links