Firing techniques for revolvers

This is a discussion on Firing techniques for revolvers within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Here's a tip for shooting double action - make sure gun is unloaded, put the trigger in the first joint of your finger, pull the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Firing techniques for revolvers

Firing techniques for revolvers

Here's a tip for shooting double action - make sure gun is unloaded, put the trigger in the first joint of your finger, pull the trigger back until your fingertip touches the grip. You have just set the trigger. Now, all it takes is a slight movement kind of like straightening your trigger finger to let the hammer fall. Using this technique you can shoot DA fast and accurate as opposed to trying to squeeze off the entire long, heavy trigger pull while keeping your sights aligned and on target with just your fingertip in one motion. (From nedrgr21)
    (Note: Some law enforcement agencies taught the above technique when they issued revolvers)

For SD, I practice the way I would shoot. I pull the trigger...not squeeze, but pull...pull it straight back. Pull hard and fast, and let the trigger out to ensure reset. I shoot with the pad of my trigger finger, not the finger joint. If you "squeeze" a long hard DA revolver trigger with the joint of the index finger, the last bit of hard squeeze causes the finger to shift to the left pulling you off target. Try it with your trigger finger without anything in your hand and watch your finger knuckle point left as you get to the last part of the squeeze. Using the pad, you can pull it straight back all the way, and you can do it quickly and stay on target. (From BugDude)

Anyone have other techniques.
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array Freedom Doc's Avatar
    Perhaps you are referring to hammerless revolvers --- other than that, why not just pull back the hammer and shoot that way? If you are actually referring to taking aimed shots at crooks, all I can say is the approach you mention would take a LOT of practice to get it down right.
    Anti-gunners seem to believe that if we just pass enough laws, we can have utopia. Unfortunately, utopia is NOT one of our choices.

Staging the trigger of a revolver during a self-defense shooting is not recommended by any instructor I now of.

VIP Member
    Whatever works. Every hand and every finger and every gun are different.
    Try it at the range and do what works. I have a hunch that in a real SD situation it is point and pull and pray
    in that order.
    zacii and gottabkiddin like this.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Whatever works. Every hand and every finger and every gun are different.
    Try it at the range and do what works. I have a hunch that in a real SD situation it is point and pull and pray
    in that order.
    ...and crap

All I try to do is be consistent with my trigger techniques.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

VIP Member
    Every trigger is a little different. I don't recommend prepping or staging, because it's not likely to happen in a sudden situation. The fine motor skills won't be there to get to the breakdawn, just before the sear releases. Throw some snap caps in the wheel and dry fire until the trigger teaches you how to manage a rock solid hammer drop. Then start with your off hand.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

VIP Member
    The technique works in the short term, but for long term mastery of the revolver trigger, don't stage it. Learn to pull thru the trigger smoothly and consistantly. Accuracy will come with practice.
    jrclen and marcclarke like this.

Not everyone has the finger strength to smoothly pull a DA revolver. The long hard pull supposedly makes the revolver safe(r) considering it has no mechanical safety. Staging the trigger seems analogous to taking the safety off a pistol. Also seems to me it is no different or more "dangerous" than taking up the slack on or resetting the trigger on a semi-auto like a Glock or simply flipping the safety off a SA like a 1911. It is also safer than thumbing the hammer back on a DA revolver.

Quote Originally Posted by nedrgr21 View Post
    Not everyone has the finger strength to smoothly pull a DA revolver. The long hard pull supposedly makes the revolver safe(r) considering it has no mechanical safety. Staging the trigger seems analogous to taking the safety off a pistol. Also seems to me it is no different or more "dangerous" than taking up the slack on or resetting the trigger on a semi-auto like a Glock or simply flipping the safety off a SA like a 1911. It is also safer than thumbing the hammer back on a DA revolver.
    If you dont have the finger strength to pull thru, you dont have enough to stage. Reset of the trigger on the Glock comes after the shot, plus the safety on a 1911 is done with the thumb, instantly as the piece is being brought on target. Worlds apart ant not comparable at all.

I do not recommend this practice for SD style shooting.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

VIP Member
    That is a good technique at the range but when the pucker factor hits 15+ you will pull straight through without even thinking about staging the trigger.
    BugDude and gottabkiddin like this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    That is a good technique at the range but when the pucker factor hits 15+ you will pull straight through without even thinking about staging the trigger.
    This is a very true statement! You won't worry about ear protection either.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    Absolutely!
    Question Everything!

VIP Member
    I don't recommend staging hr trigger either for a variety of reasons. One of three is that even with the same gun, not all chambers stage the same. On my 642, 1 chamber basically will not give any tactile evidence of staging while the other 4 do. Unless you know when it is coming, your staging efforts will shoot the gun.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

not squeeze, but pull...pull it straight back. Pull hard and fast, and let the trigger out to ensure reset. I shoot with the pad of my trigger finger, not the finger joint.
    This is similar to what Charles Stephens advises in Master Handgunner: The Mechanics Of X-Count Shooting. I trained using his technique. Here's part of it:

Find the natural part of the pad of your finger where you get the best trigger pull. This may be different for different guns that you own.

When you have determined that spot. Isolate it by putting masking tape on your finger fore and aft of the spot. Train taking a grip and getting that spot on the trigger. Train from drawstroke.

Pull like raising a bucket of water from a well. You don't pause when transferring from hand to hand - that makes it harder. Rather, you take up the rope smoothly in one long continuous straight pull, firm and deliberate at a consistent speed.

Pull straight back to stay on target.

In a SD situation you don't want to point and spray-and-pray. That's a recipe for failure. You can easily miss your target with all 5 or 6 shots at 10 feet. You'll perform like you train, and if you don't train, then squeezing and hoping is all you'll have.

Use range time to practice skills and develop kinesthetic memory. Use training and FoF time to develop performance under pressure.
    DanielC likes this.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

Hard to improve on what has already been said. When I am at the range with a revolver, and want those nice one to two inch groups at 7 yards, absolutely train yourself to stage the trigger. For self defense, a terrible idea.
    Best way to win a gun fight? "That's easy, don't show up."
    --Wyatt Earp

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
    -- Wyatt Earp

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links