Reason for Carry

This is a discussion on Reason for Carry within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Considering my family background there are more than a few people that would like to shoot me. Even though I\'ve left that world behind, I ...

Thread: Reason for Carry

Reason for Carry

Considering my family background there are more than a few people that would like to shoot me. Even though I\'ve left that world behind, I am very thankful for the freedom that allows me to protect myself and my family. (yes my wife knew what she was in for and her .357 suits her just fine)

So far I\'m lucky. I carry often, but have not had a need to use.

2. Remove Ads

Because I refuse to be a victim.

And all along I thought we were talking about bad guys. come to find out we are talking about bad dogs! Hell I\'ve shot a lot cats. Does that count?

AMEN...

~A

Originally posted by Seventhsword
    Because I refuse to be a victim.

Originally posted by nighthawkHell I\'ve shot a lot cats. Does that count?
    :(

Membership Revoked Array clubsoda22's Avatar
    he\'s not talking about animals, he\'s talking about jazz musicians.

Rickman
    My bet would be that he was born and raised on a farm. Shooting feral cats, and wild dogs for that matter, is as common as swatting flies. I have done both but probably shot more dogs chasing and killing stock than cats. Cats if they aren\'t otherwise a problem help keep the rats out of livestock feed and from destroying equipment. I used to love to take my .22 rifle loaded with ratshot to the barn and shoot rats off the rafters.

Because folks of ill intent who don\'t play by the rules carry.

And, because experience has taught me that I have a tremendous propensity for being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

So about the cat jab. I was replying to an ignorant post from a member no longer with us. No farm life. Just growing up in the woods of Northern Arizona. You ran across a lot of feral cats.

To protect them and so that I can provide for my kids.

Why I Carry

Two reasons.

First, my wife is an R.N.

Back in \'97, before Missouri became CCW, my wife was leaving the \"City\" Hospital (low-life land.) She was in her car about two blocks from the hospital, when Mr. Diversity gan-banger jumped through her half-open rear window. He had a knife that he put to her throat and made her drive him away from the \"other\" gang-bangers that were chasing him because of a bad drug deal. (He told her this as she drove.) Fortunately, my wife is street-smart, and was able to drive him to his home-boys without getting hurt.

She now trains with me and CCWs on a PA license. (Jackson County, Missouri still doesn\'t take applications.)

Second.

Although I\'ve had my share of \"close\" encounters, I\'ve always been able to control my temper. About a week after I\'d recieved my PA license, I stopped to get gas. I was CCW with my Astra A-75 in .40 cal as primary at 4:00 and I had my Walther PPK in .380 as a bug, carrying cross-draw.

Just after I\'d pulled up and got out, a woman pulled in behind me. Her SUV had a broken windshield. Within a few seconds, a second SUV pulled in beside her. She started screaming for somone to \"call 911.\" A man beside me was filling up, and I saw that he was calling on his cell. My attention turned back to the woman about 5 feet behind my car and the goblin who had gotten out of his car. He had 4 or 5 others with him (who remained in the car) including the woman\'s daughter. The man (Late teens, early 20\'s) began to scream at the woman. He called her every name he could think of. Up until the time I finished filling up, I decided to stay out of the domestic situation, except to keep an eye out for violence. As I crossed behind my car, I gave a quick glance to the goblin. He didn\'t appreciate the look and quickly rounded on me. He started calling me names (which I Ignored) and finally came to within a few feet of me and asked me if I wanted \"some of this.\" At that point, his buddys got out along with the girl (who turned out to be the goblin\'s girl-friend.) I was wearing a light vest for CCW so all I did was lower my head, (while watching the BG) and put my hands on my hips, pulling back my vest slightly in the process. I carry my Walther horizontal, cross-draw, so the butt of it was barely exposed, but in plain view of the BGs directly in front of me. After I lowered my head, I shook my head \"no\" in answer to his question. All of a sudden, ALL the yelling and sreaming abruptly stopped. The young group quickly got back in their SUV and booked! The woman stood there with a blank look on her face, so I told her that I was licensed to carry concealed. She never said a word to me. Since there was no futher threat, I left before the PD showed. I came home and told my wife about it and we prepared for the police visit that never happened.

Now, before I get flamed for \"brandishing,\" please note that I never even touched my gun and it\'s view was very limited. Also note that I am disabled, and with 4 of them against 1 of me, I guess the \"disparity of force\" clause kicks in. Besides, I can\'t throwdown like I used to. Finally remember the stats that we pro 2A people like to use about crimes being thwarted/detered just by showing a gun.

Cheers!

Vimpireglider\'s examples

Brandishing can be a tricky thing. But circumstances have to be the controlling factor. If you\'re on a crowded street in broad daylight at high noon and it\'s Christmas Eve and a brisk wind blows your jacket open so that the butt of your 45 shows briefly. Any little kid can see it, run over to a cop and say \"THAT MAN HAS A GUN AND I\'m SCARED\" and you go off to the clink for \"brandishing.\"

OTOH, as has happened to me: I was in a downtown parking lot late at night after helping a buddy jumpstart his car when a couple of salty looking dudes approached. One split wide to my right and the other came straight in asking me if I could spare some change so he could eat. With my eye on the flank man, I casually swept back the coat for my wallet and revealed the Sig P245 in my strongside hip and he quickly said \"NEVERMIND\" just as the buddy wolf whistled and they both ran. Brandishing? Sure. I call it being proactive to stop trouble. Setting is the key.

Kahrman
    I don\'t see a problem with either of those examples. If you can change the a badguy\'s mind before a possible crime I think it is a good thing. The law in all states might not agree and call it brandishing. I believe it just gives the badguy something to think about next time he is picking a mark.

Links