Self Defense Findings from NRA's "Armed Citizen" Column

This is a discussion on Self Defense Findings from NRA's "Armed Citizen" Column within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Fascinating statistics derived from civilian-only self-defense shootings (no on-duty or off-duty police in the statistics). Fascinating observations on frequency of reloads, number of rounds fired, ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Self Defense Findings from NRA's "Armed Citizen" Column

Lightbulb Self Defense Findings from NRA's "Armed Citizen" Column

Fascinating statistics derived from civilian-only self-defense shootings (no on-duty or off-duty police in the statistics). Fascinating observations on frequency of reloads, number of rounds fired, distances, frequency of multiple attackers, etc. Quite different numbers from those I learned in self-defense classes taught by a retired police instructor.

The Thinking Gunfighter: Self Defense Findings
    mano3, 40Bob and BadgerMan like this.

2. Remove Ads

Seems like a really small sample. Especially for a 5 year study. Thanks for sharing.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

While this is a small study, it does provide valuable information.

I am surprised at the very low number of self-defense reloads. Due to the low number of events which are included in the study, this does cause me to re-think my carry of 2 additional magazines. I am not yet ready to jettison my reloads but it does give me pause.

VIP Member
    Good info, and pretty much what I would have guessed or expected.

I'm still not taking my first shot with a 22 lr if I have a choice.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Eh. Maybe he should actually post the #'s so that doubters like me will believe even a fraction of what he wrote.

Interesting, but not really a revelation either.

A 5 shooter j-frame in the pocket will do nicely
    stancehold and shooterX like this.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

I would assume this is a random sampling, which typically yields more reliable results.

Its a sample of reported incidences that were reported to the NRAs armed citizen. 482 over 5 years. I will guarantee that there are a lot more defensive uses with firearms in the U.S. over the course of 5 years than 482.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Despite these stats, I'm not about to get rid of my extra mag. Besides, at the very least, you could have a malfunction, requiring a reload.
    mano3 and Bubbiesdad like this.

VIP Member
    When the sharks would circle me in the waters off Key West, I used a 44 mag power point on the tip of my spear gun. If they circle me on the street, the number of rounds fired will skew this report upwards. Some counties haven't reported in yet, the ones in shoot-shovel-and shut up flyover country.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

It's definitely a skewed sample. These are only those reported to one source. Still, it's not a bad analysis of the available data.

I'd like to see a larger, more variable population study.

There are other well documented studies show that only in the most rarest of engagements is more than two shots fired. Additional other studies that focus on analyzing data from documented police reports corroborate that the difference between small and large caliber is not as significant as legend and internet experts insist, in terms of dispatching or debilitating the aggressor. Forums exist to regurgitate mantra. I am not suggesting a .45 is a bad thing to have. However, well documented real life cases demonstrate that the notion of need for multiple clips and big calibers is not as cut and dried as it seems. Way more often than not, two shots and it is over. Either through flight, capture, injury, or fatality.

VIP Member
    Interesting article, but I'm not going to bet my life on statistics.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

This is fascinating to me! The conclusions are very much what I would have suspected based not only on the "Armed Citizen," which I have read for a lot more than five years, but every shooting incident I have seen reported in the media. I will continue to feel well armed when carrying my S&W 637 or Kahr P9.
    The Founders Got It Right - Back To The Constitution
    NRA (Life) - GOA (Life) - NAGR - GOSC (Life)

Distinguished Member Array onacoma's Avatar
    If you would like a self defense study about armed citizens you may wish to spend the $10.00 for a good read. Here is the link: Tough Targets: When Criminals Face Armed Resistance from Citizens | Cato Institute Store

I use it for anti-gun discussion with King George's gun police, aka Bloomberg-ista and other anti-gun groups!
    mano3 likes this.

In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress. -- John Adams

If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it costs when it's free! -- P.J. O'Rourke

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links