CC info needed for trip

This is a discussion on CC info needed for trip within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello I am planning a trip east from Illinois and am wandering which states on my trip have reciprocity with my non resident Pennsylvania permit? ...

Thread: CC info needed for trip

CC info needed for trip

Hello I am planning a trip east from Illinois and am wandering which states on my trip have reciprocity with my non resident Pennsylvania permit?

Seems many CC site maps are out of date, any help would be appreciated

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by zenger View Post
    Hello I am planning a trip east from Illinois and am wandering which states on my trip have reciprocity with my non resident Pennsylvania permit?
    You are NOT LEGAL in Michigan and OHIO.

Handgunlaw.us is up to date as far as I know.

Handgunlaw.us : CCW Map

You can always check EACH STATE AG WEBSITE for reciprocity info.
    -------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

Lead Moderator
    Since you didn't mention where you were going (Stopping in PA?), you are not legal in DC, New Jersey or Maryland either.

(Check the sites listed in the post above.)
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

VIP Member
    First off, welcome to the forum.

Hard to really answer your question without knowing where your headed, and what route your planning on taking. I believe handgunlaw.us is going to be your most up to date info, however don't just rely on it, check with each state as well. Remember the internet is a resource to use, but is not always up to date.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zenger View Post

I think you are not even legal in the place you are starting from, IL. Maybe there's something I don't know or understand, but IL doesn't issue CHLs; doesn't allow carriage. If you live in IL, is there even a legal way for you to get from your home to
    the border of your next nearest state which might honor your PA non-resident?

I think (unless I'm missing something which is always possible) that you might have a lot of learning and catching up to do on your situation; and probably would be wise to lock that gun away until you determine with 100% certainty if you can even leave your front porch.

You certainly won't be protected by either FOPA or PA non-resident while driving in IL. (Or if you are covered by FOPA--assuming you are even legal to have it in your home and under FOPA maybe that would count as a starting point where you are legal-- then all you can do is lock it the trunk of your car and drive, pretty much non-stop, to PA.

I think you have lots to think about before you leave on this trip with a gun in possession. It sounds to me like it is not possible to do it legally; and therefore shouldn't even be attempted.

Hopefully others will comment on your present handgun possession in IL and shed some light on the legality or illegality of that.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Here are FAQ's regarding transporting firearms in IL. Firearm Owner's Frequently Asked Questions

Keep it, unloaded in a case and you are fine until you get out of the state. After that you really need to review the laws of each state or locality which you are going to travel through. Knowledge of the law will be invaluable during your trip.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Links