My Texas CHL renewal experience was without hiccup- FYI

This is a discussion on My Texas CHL renewal experience was without hiccup- FYI within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Texans can go online and login to the CHL website TxDPS - Concealed Handgun Licensing to see whether they are eligible for renewal. You must ...

Thread: My Texas CHL renewal experience was without hiccup- FYI

My Texas CHL renewal experience was without hiccup- FYI

Texans can go online and login to the CHL website TxDPS - Concealed Handgun Licensing to see whether they are eligible for renewal. You must enter your SSN, DL and DOB. You can also monitor your renewal progress online. It will not be available until it is within 6 months of your expiration date.

The paper renewal notification from DPS came in the mail about 5 months before my expiration. I paid my dues online, took my class locally and submitted my renewal application and it took just over a month to get the license back from the date I put it in the mail.

I did not need to redo the photo or the fingerprints, I am sure that would have extended my renewal process.
    Yoda, I am, yes.

2. Remove Ads

I recently got a note from TX DPS telling me I could renew for second time online. Here's what it said:

"A CHL-100 (proof of Continuing Education course completetion) is required for 1st and 2nd time consecutive renewals. After 2nd renewal, applicants must complete a Continuing Education course once every 10 years (GC SS 411.185). This means an applicant does not have to take a course starting on their third consecutive renewal if a course was completed on the previous renewal."

Not sure, but I think we may have to do the full monty on the next renewal.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    Texans can go online and login to the CHL website TxDPS - Concealed Handgun Licensing to see whether they are eligible for renewal. You must enter your SSN, DL and DOB. You can also monitor your renewal progress online. It will not be available until it is within 6 months of your expiration date.

The paper renewal notification from DPS came in the mail about 5 months before my expiration. I paid my dues online, took my class locally and submitted my renewal application and it took just over a month to get the license back from the date I put it in the mail.

I did not need to redo the photo or the fingerprints, I am sure that would have extended my renewal process.
    Wow. Great to hear that. I'll have to start the process sometime after August; it was an ordeal last time, even though I started early. I went without a license (didn't carry during of course) for almost 6 weeks because of one delay or another.

Glad they fixed it. Thanks for posting that.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    I went without a license (didn't carry during of course) for almost 6 weeks because of one delay or another.
    Good reason to have a non-resident CHL from a state with Texas reciprocity, like Florida or any number of other states, as a "backup". If your Texas CHL doesn't get renewed in time, you can still carry while waiting.

Florida is nice because it does not require a trip to Florida (it can be done completely through the mail), and they'll accept a copy of your Texas course certificate as evidence of firearm training/proficiency. No Florida-specific course necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeyD View Post
    I recently got a note from TX DPS telling me I could renew for second time online. Here's what it said:

"A CHL-100 (proof of Continuing Education course completetion) is required for 1st and 2nd time consecutive renewals. After 2nd renewal, applicants must complete a Continuing Education course once every 10 years (GC SS 411.185). This means an applicant does not have to take a course starting on their third consecutive renewal if a course was completed on the previous renewal."

Not sure, but I think we may have to do the full monty on the next renewal.
    No, on your third renewal you simply go online and pay the fee, update your work/home information and you are finished. On the 4th renewal you will do the 4 hour course and do the proficiency. 5th no class, no shooting, 6th 4 hours, and shoot, and so on.

There isn't any backlog any more on Texas CHL's. There is no reason one should have a lapse in their permit. If 6 months isn't enough time to get your paperwork submitted, there definately is a problem on the permit holders part.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

First post here...YAY

I was curious what kind of time it took to get your renewed card in the mail?

I had too much going on, and missed renewing mine while it was still valid. Now I'm psychologically NAKED without my gun until the renewal arrives. :)

Quote Originally Posted by Scott555 View Post
    First post here...YAY

I was curious what kind of time it took to get your renewed card in the mail?

I had too much going on, and missed renewing mine while it was still valid. Now I'm psychologically NAKED without my gun until the renewal arrives. :)
    Welcome to the forum, I think it was right at 4 weeks to get the card, you can logon to the CHL website and monitor the progress.
    Yoda, I am, yes.

Links