Followed out of WalMart

Followed out of WalMart

This is a discussion on Followed out of WalMart within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was walking out of Walmart this morning (5am) and noticed a nefarious-looking gentleman leaning up again the wall right next to the entrance/exit. No ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree65Likes

Thread: Followed out of WalMart

Followed out of WalMart

I was walking out of Walmart this morning (5am) and noticed a nefarious-looking gentleman leaning up again the wall right next to the entrance/exit. No biggie until, after about 10 steps into the parking lot, he started to what appeared to be following me. I kept a level head and thought things out as best as I could. I realized he was likely going to walk right by but the way he looked at me when I exited the building and then started walking in my direction alarmed me. So when I got the trunk of my car, I positioned myself where I would have the best opportunity to draw my weapon if, in fact, he had malicious intent. As he drew near he kept looking at me as if to size me up. I thought, "WOW I may actually have to go through with this!" As he walked within 5 feet I was waiting for him to turn towards me but, FORTUNATELY, he kept walking by. My heart was racing a mile a minute as I kept an eye on him while I quickly loaded my groceries into the trunk. He continued to turn around and watch me as he walked so, once I was in the car and moving, I called the police and informed them of the incident. They said they'd send a patrol unit over there but i didn't stick around to wait for him.

So how would you have handled this situation? After I left I realized I'd never even considered turning around and heading back into the store. That would have probably been the smartest thing to do, in hindsight.
    NRA MEMBER
    EDC: Beretta Nano

Quote Originally Posted by johnbergsing View Post
    . He continued to turn around and watch me as he walked so,
    Maybe you had a kick-me sign on your back?

In all seriousness, if I thought the man was following me I probably wouldn't have walked to my car. I would have taken a random route through the parking lot looking for any accomplices along the way. If it appeared he was following me for sure, I'm make a circle and go right back into the store. If he appeared to be gaining on me, I'd speed up some and if it was a downright chase, I might pull my gun at that point.
    DaveH, oneshot, NONAME762 and 2 others like this.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

VIP Member
    Well the best thing would be find a better time to grocery shop than 5AM. Other than that, it appears you did fine.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by adric22 View Post
    In all seriousness, if I thought the man was following me I probably wouldn't have walked to my car. I would have taken a random route through the parking lot looking for any accomplices along the way. If it appeared he was following me for sure, I'm make a circle and go right back into the store. If he appeared to be gaining on me, I'd speed up some and if it was a downright chase, I might pull my gun at that point.
    Sounds like the OP may have been pushing a cart, a lot harder to cut between parked cars. When leaving a shopping area (mall, grocery, Wally World etc) during hours of darkness I will usually take the drive 1 or 2 over from where I parked and then go between the parked cars just to "check my 6" and have taught the wife to do the same.

I thought everybody at a Wal Mart at 5 AM looked nefarious

If you felt that "you might have to go through with this" that bad, you should have gone toward people in the parking lot or made a way back inside the store.

He may have noticed that you responded in a nervous manor and that the constant attention you were giving him. Next time just go about your business and keep an eye on him from the corner of your eye.
    "Confidence is food for the wise man but liquor for the fool"

Distinguished Member Array Elk Hunter's Avatar
    5AM is the best time to be at Wal Mart, not so many people there and the parking is not bad.

In your situation I would have tried to keep my car between me and the guy. Leave the cart at the trunk (lid down so I can see) and head towards the front, if the guy wants to play ring-a-round the rosie with me then I would get a lot more agressive. As my son would say use "the voice" to tell him to get lost, his move determines my next move, in all hope he retreats.

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    M CCW instructor suggested that you should always have a cart i a parking lot. You can use it to put between an assailant and you or you can actually use it as a weapon if needed. A piece of advice I have kept with me.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

Quote Originally Posted by Elk Hunter View Post
    5AM is the best time to be at Wal Mart, not so many people there and the parking is not bad.
    Ain't that the truth! Plus, due to work schedules, I had no other choice.
    Buler likes this.
    NRA MEMBER
    EDC: Beretta Nano

Sounds like you did good to me.

I agree, seems that you did a fine job of protecting your butt. I hope I would do as well in that situation.
    Chad Rogers and Secret Spuk like this.
    BA
    Kahr CM9, Beretta PX4 SC .40, Ruger LCP/LM, Dan Wesson .357, Beretta 21A .22, Four Aces .22, H&R .22, Marlin .22 rifle and 1946 Remington 12 gauge.

Wife gets angry at me sometimes...

When we are out and about (especially if the kids are with us) I will always give "the look" to anyone who I think may be following us.

This doesn't happen very often; I'm not super-paranoid... just a little!

But sometimes you get a "feeling" about an individual and I for one do not question that feeling.

I think I would have reacted in a similar way to your situation, but I'm not sure that's the best way to handle it.

I'll be subscribing to this thread and hope that some of the responses help us all to add to our "SA" arsenal.
    "Death is lighter than a feather, but Duty is heavier than a mountain" Robert Jordan
    USMC veteran
    Glock 19 Gen 4
    Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes

Quote Originally Posted by Elk Hunter View Post
    That wasn't my experience. I tried that once to see if I could avoid waiting in line for 30 minutes. Well, the isles were certainly clear and easy to maneuver around. The problem was, there was only 1 cashier working and there were like 7 or 8 baskets in front of me. So I still ended up waiting 30 minutes to check out.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

Sounds as if you did fine.
    Eagleks likes this.

As he walked within 5 feet I was waiting for him to turn towards me but, FORTUNATELY, he kept walking by. My heart was racing a mile a minute as I kept an eye on him while I quickly loaded my groceries into the trunk. He continued to turn around and watch me as he walked so, once I was in the car and moving, I called the police and informed them of the incident.
    What incident would that be?

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links