The desire to carry everywhere... (Long, rambling post and a question for y'all)

The desire to carry everywhere... (Long, rambling post and a question for y'all)

This is a discussion on The desire to carry everywhere... (Long, rambling post and a question for y'all) within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Last night I was at a coffeehouse I often frequent, visiting with a few good friends who were in town that I hadn't seen in ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: The desire to carry everywhere... (Long, rambling post and a question for y'all)

Last night I was at a coffeehouse I often frequent, visiting with a few good friends who were in town that I hadn't seen in a few years. I had caught up with them a couple times on the phone, but for whatever reason I never mentioned that I had started carrying. Even at the coffeehouse, I completely forgot to mention it. I don't like to say that the phrase, "I forget it's even there," because it implies (to me) that I take the responsibility lightly, but the fact of that matter is, I often do "forget" on a conscious level. However, even when I "forget it's there," I'm always aware in the back of mind exactly where it is on my hip, even if I can't feel it pressing against me, and I'm always aware of what condition my weapon is in (in my case Condition Two, hammer down, round chambered, safety off). This is something I feel most CCW holders understand, even though I'm poor at describing how you can "forget" you have a gun on your person while knowing it's there passively.

The point I'm getting at is that it never even occurred to me to mention it to my friends, simply because it was never brought up. Anyway, we decided to come back to my place to grill some food, and when we got back I went into my bedroom to unholster (save the criticism please, I have a 1 bedroom apartment and usually have a gun within reach in every room).

As I was unholstering one of my friends came in to ask if he could have a beer from the fridge, and paused when he saw me taking my FNX-9 out of my waistband. Him being rather liberal, I was surprised to find out he wasn't worried about it at all. He goes, "Oh awesome! Is that thing loaded? Can I hold it?" My other friend comes in, and she seems fascinated as well. I myself am pretty staunchly conservative, but I tend to keep my politics to myself and respect others' regardless of what their views are. Never been a big fan of talking politics anyway. But this is all beside the point.

Being the nice guy that I am, and being that neither of them had had a beer yet, I decided to show it to them. I was surprised to find that, not only had neither of them ever fired a gun before, but neither of them had actually held a gun before! I cleared the weapon in front of them, quickly explained the difference between revolvers and magazine-fed guns, explained how to verify each was unloaded, and then explained to them my safety rules, with a huge emphasis on exaggerating them (finger off trigger until ready to shoot, every gun is loaded, keep pointed in safe direction, be aware of backdrop, etc.) -- after explaining everything, I handed it to my male friend and had him do a safety check himself before messing with it. He was a little unintentionally slippery with his trigger finger, but was very good about the direction of the muzzle. I told them to pretend there was a light-saber sticking out of the muzzle. I always thought this was a funny, but useful, way of training safe muzzle direction.

My female friend held it next and she was perfect with exercising the safety rules I explained. They bombarded me with questions and, long story short, I ended up not only explaining the mechanics of a handgun, but also showed them how to field-strip it, how to grip and fire the weapon, and let them take a few shots with snap-caps.

They asked if I had any more guns, and with an "Oh boy, here we go" to myself, I opened up the safe for them. They thought my AR-15 was the coolest and couldn't get over how cool red dot sights were. But this brought about a question from them:

"Why do you have all these? Why do you carry everywhere? Are you expecting trouble?" That question would've been interpreted by me as condescension, but being that I know them well, I knew that they were honestly just curious. I explained to them the philosophy behind why I carry and why I carry so often. They stood there scratching their heads while listening to me, and when I finished, believe it or not, they insisted on coming with me to the range the next time they visited, and my female friend said she was going to sign up for a CCW class when she got back home! I was proud of myself for setting what I thought was a good example for them about not only the 2nd Amendment, but also firearms and firearm safety in general. Hopefully the huge emphasis I put on safety will stick with them and in the future if they ever introduce anyone else to firearms (I certainly hope they do) they will also place a giant emphasis on safety.

And now, after all this rambling here, I'll get to the point of all of this: Their question made me think about why I carry so much. Actually, I take that back. I know why I carry so much, but it made me contemplate what it is that made me transition into near 24/7 carry. I remember right before I got my permit, I thought to myself, "Well, I'm not gonna be one of those paranoid gun nuts who carries everywhere with extra magazines and a back-up gun. I'll probably just take the CCW course and carry every once in a while when it's convenient or if I can't avoid going into a bad part of town."

Well, a few years later, here I am, and lo and behold, I carry everywhere. When I have to run errands and I run into a business that has a no-weapon sign, I decide to take my business somewhere 2A friendly. When it's cold enough, I'll carry my FNX-9 with 17+1, two spare 17-round magazines, and my LC9 either appendix or in a pocket holster as a back up gun. When it's warm out, I'll carry my LC9 at the appendix with two spare mags on my weak side. I also carry a knife and a tac-light. I am no longer content with just the CCW class, and now I'm pursuing further training, both in hand-to-hand combat and pistol training. You might say I've become a "paranoid gun-nut," but my viewpoint has changed drastically, and I don't consider myself paranoid at all. Heck, I might even like being a paranoid gun nut

These days, on the rare occasions that I either decide not to carry, or for whatever reason cannot carry (going to government buildings, etc.) I feel naked. I don't feel nervous or anxious, but a certain level of peace-of-mind is lost. My firearm has apparently become an extension of my body. I am by no means complaining; I am happy with the way my philosophy regarding CCW has changed. But, I do have a question to pose for you kind folks:

The reasons for feeling the need to carry everywhere seem obvious to me, but it's also a little inexplicable. I truly do not "expect trouble", as my friends put it. So, why do some of us feel a true need to carry everywhere, and when we can't carry, why do we feel so vulnerable? I could be in the safest place on the planet, and I'd still feel naked without my pistol!

I apologize for the ramble, and forgive me if I posted this in the wrong section of the forum, but I just had to vent and get all of that out, and I wanted to pose this question for you folks.

-C
    "Shoot low boys, they're riding Shetland ponies." -Lewis Grizzard

Quote Originally Posted by tactilame View Post
    These days, on the rare occasions that I either decide not to carry, or for whatever reason cannot carry (going to government buildings, etc.) I feel naked. I don't feel nervous or anxious, but a certain level of peace-of-mind is lost. My firearm has apparently become an extension of my body. I am by no means complaining; I am happy with the way my philosophy regarding CCW has changed.-C
    This is a great post and I appreciate your very detailed analysis and thoughtfulness. Every time I think I'll just go out without carrying, I immediately think "what if...?". I carry when I workout and after a few times, I started to seriously think about leaving my CCW at home or at least in the car. But I just kept thinking "What if today is the day the "s.h.t.f."?" My philosophy is "Carry Always Never Tell". And I mean ALWAYS!
    Ben

Cogito, ergo armatum sum. I think, therefore I am armed. (Don Mann, The Modern Day Gunslinger; the ultimate handgun training manual)

In the case of your female friend. You seem to have planted the seed in her that will have her grow into another responsible gun owner/ccw holder. I say good job on your part. Some people might have the outlook on guns on the positive side. They may have wanted to handle a gun and learn to use one but may not have a friendly face close to them to show some basics and let them really decide if that is a route they want to take. I say this was a super positive encounter with old friends.

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    Well done.

Fitch
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

Can I get the Cliff Notes version of your post, OP?
    Okemo and BenGoodLuck like this.

I'm ignoring the main point and hitting your point about "forgetting" that we carry a firearm. I don't think you really forget. Just because it's not at the forefront of your mind doesn't mean you've forgotten it's there. It's just like your wallet, keys, pocket knife, flashlight etc. You haven't forgotten they're there, they're just not at the forefront of your mind. But when the time comes to use each one of them in their respective roles, you reach for them instinctively.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Good job! I'm happy for you that you have open minded friends and had a good response from them.

I explain to those who ask, that I carry everywhere for the same reason I wear my seatbelt every time I'm in a car. You just don't know when its going to happen. If we did we would simply stay home.
    "I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." - Thomas Jefferson

Nice going tactilame... I rather enjoyed your story and made me smile at your earlier conviction of not carrying all the time because I just said the same thing not even three weeks ago... I remember when cell phones were starting to become popular and something similar was said a about them too...

Too funny.
    "The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

-James Earl Jones

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tactilame View Post
    The reasons for feeling the need to carry everywhere seem obvious to me, but it's also a little inexplicable. I truly do not "expect trouble", as my friends put it. So, why do some of us feel a true need to carry everywhere, and when we can't carry, why do we feel so vulnerable? I could be in the safest place on the planet, and I'd still feel naked without my pistol! -C
    I think the reason we feel the need to carry all the time is not hard to figure out. Look at the news on a daily basis. Robberies, car jacking, muggings, murders. Not just in the "hood" but everywhere. Yes the Hood gets most of them, but crime has no boundaries, and the criminal element has little if any regard for life.
    MotorCityGun, mano3 and tkruf like this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Great job! My wife still thinks its strange when I carry around the house but she's getting used to the idea and I don't have to go arm myself if I need to run to the store.

Not mine, but a quote I've adopted...

"100% of home invasions occur within someone's home"
    tkruf likes this.
    "Death is lighter than a feather, but Duty is heavier than a mountain" Robert Jordan
    USMC veteran
    Glock 19 Gen 4
    Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes

Quote Originally Posted by W9HDG View Post
    Great job! My wife still thinks its strange when I carry around the house but she's getting used to the idea and I don't have to go arm myself if I need to run to the store.
    Sounds like my wife... She looks at with that... You're too much kind of look :)
    "The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

-James Earl Jones

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    I think the reason we feel the need to carry all the time is not hard to figure out. Look at the news on a daily basis. Robberies, car jacking, muggings, murders. Not just in the "hood" but everywhere. Yes the Hood gets most of them, but crime has no boundaries, and the criminal element has little if any regard for life.
    +1

With age, hopefully comes maturity....With maturity, hopefully comes the understanding of "It can happen to Anyone, Anytime, Anywhere"...That's why I have evolved into carrying ALL the time...JMO
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

great post. Nothing unusual about your behavior that most here have not adapted to as well. Maybe we all just "get it" and choose not to live in La-La Land where nothing ever bad happens. I only wish.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Great post by the OP. I really like the educating part. I think it would be nice to follow up with the friends to see if they continue on with firearms training and safety. Some people are hard to convert, but then there are a few that when you finally get to a range and start putting rounds downrange, you can see that "Ah ha!" moment happen.

My best friend just started shooting regular and has been riding my case over his son. On our last trip to the range, I started really working with his 12 y/o son with his handguns skills. He is smoking "old dad" on a regular basis now and I have to listen to that crap constantly! LMAO
    "Safety is something that happens between your ears, not something you hold in your hands. " Col. Jeff Cooper

Proud member NRA, VCDL, USPSA, IDPA & DADD ( if you have daughters, you understand )

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links