Kansas open carry questions

This is a discussion on Kansas open carry questions within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; i know if i want to concealed carry in Kansas i need to be a private detective and some other nonsense. but I'm having difficulty ...

Thread: Kansas open carry questions

i know if i want to concealed carry in Kansas i need to be a private detective and some other nonsense. but I'm having difficulty finding out open carry laws. while its technically legal I'm finding a lot of things saying that some places have local preemption laws. what are these and where can i find them. is it a posted business thing or is it just some towns not at all. quite confusing stuff actually. thanks in advance for your help.
    Hang on I saw this in a movie one time..................:flamethrowingsmiley for idpa match video click here http://www.youtube.com/v/-P3L4XfmWOg or http://www.youtube.com/v/cBkz7uZEzYs

I suggest you sit down with a Criminal Defense attorney that practices law in your jurisdiction - ask him for a written legal opinion; he should be able to explain you what you can and can't do. Otherwise, keep reading the statutes until you find something that lets you carry in the open.

My 2 cents.

You know that concealed carry was just passed (a few months ago) in Kansas right? They begin handing out the permits on Jan 1 to the people who are turning in thier apps now.

You might ask the people at http://www.ksconcealedcarry.com/ about open carry.

Assistant Administrator
    Open is ''technically'' legal in PA - because no law states it is illegal.

While some folks do carry open - as has been discussed many a time - there is still always the risk of some sheep freaking out and calling in ''man with a gun''. Depends therefore a great deal IMO on location.

I carry open at home and on my property but would think twice about being open in town here, despite the place being quite small - just does not seem worth hassles.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

gonefission. is there any talk of what other states permits kansas will be honoring once there new policy takes affect?
    Hang on I saw this in a movie one time..................:flamethrowingsmiley for idpa match video click here http://www.youtube.com/v/-P3L4XfmWOg or http://www.youtube.com/v/cBkz7uZEzYs

VIP Member
    The Kansas AGs office is declining to comment on what other state permits will be honored until January. Or so they say. They letter is posted either on MO Carry or the Kansas Carry site. I live in MO about 8 miles from Kansas, so I am very interested in Kansas recognizing the MO permit.
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

Getting back to the original question on open carry. It is legal to open carry per state law. The problem is that cities have the right to preempt state law and pass laws against it. An example is Wichita. You have to look at each city's laws to see if it is legal. It is hard to find the info. and most people don't know and that is why all of the confusion.

Quote Originally Posted by Indy View Post
    gonefission. is there any talk of what other states permits kansas will be honoring once there new policy takes affect?
    Like Scott said they will decide in January, but most people speculate that any state with similar requirements (ie training and app regulations) will get to carry here.

If you are a resident of Kansas then you have to get a Kansas CHL.

Links