What else did i forget to tell him?

This is a discussion on What else did i forget to tell him? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So I'm sitting in my LGS this afternoon chatting with the help when a man about 32 walks in and says " I drive by ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: What else did i forget to tell him?

What else did i forget to tell him?

So I'm sitting in my LGS this afternoon chatting with the help when a man about 32 walks in and says " I drive by her 3 times a week and today I told myself I'm coming in here for sure." He then proceeded to tell us why he stopped in today. He lives on the outskirts of a crime ridden city thats about 35 miles from here. I have two nephews that are LEO in this city so I here all about it.

He told us that a neighbor was recently robbed at home and then about a week later another neighbor came home [in the middle of the day] two BG's got the jump on his neighbor, tied him up then proceeded to load the neighbors P/U with items from the house and split.

As we continued to chat it became apparent that he is highly concerned for the safety of his family and himself, and understandably so as I would be also. So I thought I would ask a few questions and make a few suggestions.

Question: Why don't you move?
    Answer: Don't want to move because I have 15 acres

Question: Do you own a firearm?
    Answer: Yes, A Springfield 45

Question: Are you proficient w/your 45?
    Answer: Haven't shot for a few years but used to shoot alot.

Question: Does your wife shoot?
    Answer: No, and isn't comfortable around firearms.

At this point I made a few suggestions. He already mentioned the house has a security system. By the way, it is very difficult to obtain a CCW permit in his county.
    Following are some suggestions I made:
    1: Pepper spray for you and your wife
    2: Encourage your wife to learn how to shoot. Start her off with a .22 then work your way up. I forgot to mention the reason he stopped at the LGS was to possibly purchase a sidearm for his mother-in-law as she used to own a revolver and he thought this might encourage his wife to learn how to shoot.
    3. Recommended a gun safe for his vehicle so he could legally carry it in his vehicle and access it and load it as soon as he was on his property.
    4. Wrote down Defensive Carry. com, Cornered Cat.com and HandgunLaw.com and suggest he and his wife visit these sites.

I had to leave at this point but looking back now I forgot to suggest a big dog if he doesn't have one, go practice with your weapon and plenty of lighting around the house. What else could I have suggested?

P.S. To my new friend from the LGS, if you read this post I hope I haven't offended you, I tried to keep it anonymous. There are many LEO's and ex LEO's on this site that will probably have more and better suggestions.

God Bless
    If you died today and stood in front of God and He asked you " Why should I let you into My Heaven?" what would you say?

2. Remove Ads

In the limited span of a gun store conversation, I think you did real well. If you run into him again you might bring a shotgun into the conversation.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    In the limited span of a gun store conversation, I think you did real well. If you run into him again you might bring a shotgun into the conversation.
    +1 on the shotgun.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by goldmaster View Post

Question: Why don't you move?
    Answer: Don't want to move because I have 15 acres
    So - what does his answer have to do with the question? I guess you can pick the exact spot on the fifteen acres where you want to be buried. :)
    dukalmighty and ASSA9 like this.

Property is hard to come by, 15 acres in California is a gold mine depending on where it is. I would hate to be uprooted from my place because some low-life's started robbing the neighbors.
    suntzu and ksholder like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    Property is hard to come by, 15 acres in California is a gold mine depending on where it is. I would hate to be uprooted from my place because some low-life's started robbing the neighbors.
    So this is interesting from the perspective of those who post that no job is worth their life. Is 15 acres in California worth the risk?

Caveat: there are no right of wrong answers here. Just an interesting discussion point.

You actually went above and beyond what most people would have expected a stranger to do for them at a LGS.

However, the person to whom you gave your advice, has not demonstrated that they have fully digested and comprehend the totality of their situation. It's almost as if he decided to visit a gun store, buy a gun, and continue to stick his (and his wife's) head in the sand.

There needs to be real and substantive change in the subject husband and wife's lifestyle. If crime is as bad as he related, doing more of the same, albeit with another gun or two on hand (which is wife is unlikely to access/use) is almost an act of futility. I could be wrong--he is in a LGS--but I have doubts, based upon your recounting of the discussion, that the concerned citizen is well on the way toward a meaningful solution.

Quote Originally Posted by MadMac View Post
    So - what does his answer have to do with the question? I guess you can pick the exact spot on the fifteen acres where you want to be buried. :)
    That was my first thought
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

So this is interesting from the perspective of those who post that no job is worth their life. Is 15 acres in California worth the risk?

Caveat: there are no right of wrong answers here. Just an interesting discussion point.
    Mac, I've got 8 acres... Been on it for 30 years. I'm gonna retire out of state... One of the hardest things for me is giving up the space of the place... Hope to find similar in Tn.

8 acres or more is a nice cushion... from the neighbors etc. 5+ acres can mean independence and off the grid living...

15 Acres in Cali... would be worth Lotsa $$$ almost anywhere in Cali... acreage is defensible with clear lines of sight in many directions, if it's flat; obscure and not so easy to get to if it's not...

Development living is defensible by numbers of residents... if all of your neighbors are like minded (not likely).

just random thoughts... probably the top of the list of benefits....
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

VIP Member

MadMac - I hear what you are saying, but I also see the other side. If everyone ceeded their property to the BGs and move somewhere else (assuming you can find a BG-free zone), eventually the BGs will have most of the land. In addition, the GGs who move will have less net worth because, as we all know, moving is expensive - movers, realtors, new furnishings for the new digs, etc. I can see why someone may decide to stay and harden their abode.
    Hoganbeg likes this.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    Mac, I've got 8 acres... Been on it for 30 years. I'm gonna retire out of state... One of the hardest things for me is giving up the space of the place... Hope to find similar in Tn.

8 acres or more is a nice cushion... from the neighbors etc. 5+ acres can mean independence and off the grid living...

15 Acres in Cali... would be worth Lotsa $$$ almost anywhere in Cali... acreage is defensible with clear lines of sight in many directions, if it's flat; obscure and not so easy to get to if it's not...

Development living is defensible by numbers of residents... if all of your neighbors are like minded (not likely).

just random thoughts... probably the top of the list of benefits....
    Great points to consider. Of course, the imputed value of the land under your feet is ZERO until you sell it. It doesn't matter if it's in California or the middle of the desert. if you don't sell it, how much it's worth is irrelevant. It's value to you is in its other attributes.

Many years ago, my wife was making the case to acquire a nice diamond and made the contention the jewelry would be an investment that would grow in value. I asked when she was going to sell it. She said, "Never." I explained in that case, it's simply a big expense, and is in no way an investment for us.

Personally, I am not a survivalist/self sustainment type. My wife and I are more footloose and willing to walk away from any real estate any time we see a better lifestyle choice we can afford. It's a very personal decision for everyone. Some people are tied to their land for a variety of reasons: family/financial/location, etc. I consider it being tied down, but that's just me.

Quote Originally Posted by ksholder View Post
    MadMac - I hear what you are saying, but I also see the other side. If everyone ceeded their property to the BGs and move somewhere else (assuming you can find a BG-free zone), eventually the BGs will have most of the land. In addition, the GGs who move will have less net worth because, as we all know, moving is expensive - movers, realtors, new furnishings for the new digs, etc. I can see why someone may decide to stay and harden their abode.
    I absolutely agree with you, but I like the discussion. When I see, for example, a group of toughs hanging around a convenience store, I opt to go to another store that appears to be less risky. Am I ceding the other public space to the "bad guys", or am I making a prudent risk-avoidance decision for me and my family? You could say the scenarios are different, and maybe they are. I'm just throwing it out there.

VIP Member
    I absolutely agree with you, but I like the discussion. When I see, for example, a group of toughs hanging around a convenience store, I opt to go to another store that appears to be less risky. Am I ceding the other public space to the "bad guys", or am I making a prudent risk-avoidance decision for me and my family? You could say the scenarios are different, and maybe they are. I'm just throwing it out there.
    It is much easier to walk away from the convenience store that is risky than property in which you are invested. It takes virtually no assets other than a squirt of gas to go to another store. I agree that if the store is infested, I would go elsewhere. This has not really ceded the area to the BGs as much as told the owner of the store that he needs to address security concerns. While I think the situations differ, I see the continuum between them. It is up to each of us, I guess, to decide where we draw the line on that continuum.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Distinguished Member Array Once's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    +1 on the shotgun.
    +2 On the shotgun, especially with 15 acres

+1 on the big dog, especially if it is protective of your family. One of my favorite parts of my Labrador, he is VERY protective. I had gotten up the other night and was sitting in the living room in the dark when the Labrador who obviously didn't notice my getting up came down the hallway, saw me, and started barking and growling very instantly at me until I turned on a light and he saw it was me. He would not move when my wife came down the hall and kept himself between me and the rest of the family until he knew it was safe.

Just my 0.02

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links