Sanford, FL Teen Shot By CHL Holder

This is a discussion on Sanford, FL Teen Shot By CHL Holder within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I didn't see this posted here, even though it happened a couple weeks ago. There was a news piece on CBS this morning. The few ...

Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast
Like Tree89Likes

Thread: Sanford, FL Teen Shot By CHL Holder

VIP Member

Sanford, FL Teen Shot By CHL Holder

I didn't see this posted here, even though it happened a couple weeks ago. There was a news piece on CBS this morning. The few details available don't portray the shooting in a favorable light.
    Police: Neighborhood watch member involved in fatal shooting | News - Home

Family of Florida boy killed by Neighborhood Watch seeks arrest - Yahoo! News
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Well, the report in the first link is devoid of info on which to make an informed opinion. It is interesting to note that while the CHL holder is in custody, he has not been charged. The second link is simply the dead guy's family's discussion/rantings of the event. This is less than impartial and may or may not present an accurate portrayal of the dead guy. How often have we seen such rantings then find the dead guy has a rap sheet 10 feet long. Need more info to opine on this one.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

There is so much left out of this story I am surprised they even put it into the news.

Obviously there will be more to it once all the facts come to light.

A nervous Neighbourhood Watch person and someone appearing to be wandering around the community and acting suspicious perhaps?

One has to wonder why the Watch was so ramped up. Possibly a rash of home invasions and theft from people outside the "community" causing heightend awareness? This kid walking unknowingly into a situation like that?

Still a tragedy no matter what the circumstances may be.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

These stories lack soo much info. They need to hurry up and release the other side and the reasoning as to why he pulled the trigger.

NRA Member
    Gen4 G23

Sorry, I don't have the original local news report handy. But, I live in Sanford and this is a very local story. The original story reported that another person who came upon the scene called police after seeing the teen (the one shot) on top of the the neighborhood watch shooter and (I believe) the witness said the teen was beating on him. The neighborhood watchman was yelling for help and for the person to call 911. Those facts are probably why there has been no arrest while they continue to investigate. I don't believe that witness saw the beginning or the end of the confrontation as they went inside to use their phone. Don't know and no one except for perhaps the shooter seems to know the specifics of how they ended up in that exact situation. But, based on the original report I think it is at least possible that the shooter was in fact defending himself. I certainly hope this doesn't turn into a racial thing which it appears the media is perfectly happy to do.

this is the most informative article I found: Parents seek justice for unarmed son's killing - CBS News

(CBS NEWS) SANFORD, Fla. - There's a family inside a quiet subdivision in Sanford, Florida that is both grieving and frustrated. Their unarmed teenage son was killed here - and they can't understand why the gunman is still free when he has admitted pulling the trigger.

"He was lying in this area," Tracy Martin tells CBS News, pointing to the patch of grass where his teenage son was shot dead 10 days ago.

Trayvon "Trey" Martin, 17, lived in Miami. He loved horses, and dreamed of becoming a pilot.

The high school junior was visiting relatives last month when he was shot and killed inside this gated subdivision of town homes.

"He meant the world to me. He meant the world to his mother," says the young man's father. He and his wife were to give a news conference later Thursday to discuss the case.

Around 7:00 p.m. on February 26, Martin was walking back from a 7-Eleven a half-mile away where he had bought an iced tea and a bag of Skittles.

At 7:17 p.m., 26 year-old George Zimmerman, a neighborhood watch member, called police to report a suspicious person inside the gated community. A dispatcher told Zimmerman police were on the way and to let them handle it.

Just two minutes later, six neighbors dialed 911 to report a fight - and then a gunshot.

Trey Martin, shot once in the chest, lay dead on this walkway just 70 yards from the home where he was staying. He was unarmed.

"He was up here to relax. He wasn't up here to return home in a body bag. That's the part that tears me up," says his father. "And for me not to be able to save his life is hard."

Sanford Police have questioned Zimmerman, but not charged him. He had a legal permit to carry his concealed weapon, a 9-mm handgun.

For now, he's a free man who maintains he acted in self-defense.

Zimmerman has admitted to shooting Martin, according to police.

Sanford Police chief Bill Lee confirms that Zimmerman was armed and Martin was not.

Lee says no one saw how or why the fight began, and that police are trying to establish whether Zimmerman did act in self-defense.

Tracy Martin says if anyone was trying to defend himself, it was his son.

"Why would he attack this guy?" asks the father. "He don't know this guy. What was he going to do -- attack him with a pack of skittles?"

Lee says he understands Martin's frustration.

"It's their 17-year-old son. I have a 16-year-old son and I couldn't imagine experiencing what they're experiencing," Lee said.

George Zimmerman is a college student majoring in criminal justice. Neighbors and police say he has lived somewhere else since the shooting. CBS News could not reach him or find any trace of him online.

Tracy Martin wants Zimmerman to face a jury for killing Trey.

"My kid went to the morgue and this guy went home to sleep in his bed," Martin said. "There's no justice in that."
    Yoda, I am, yes.

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sigs View Post
    Sorry, I don't have the original local news report handy. But, I live in Sanford and this is a very local story. The original story reported that another person who came upon the scene called police after seeing the teen (the one shot) on top of the the neighborhood watch shooter and (I believe) the witness said the teen was beating on him. The neighborhood watchman was yelling for help and for the person to call 911. Those facts are probably why there has been no arrest while they continue to investigate. I don't believe that witness saw the beginning or the end of the confrontation as they went inside to use their phone. Don't know and no one except for perhaps the shooter seems to know the specifics of how they ended up in that exact situation. But, based on the original report I think it is at least possible that the shooter was in fact defending himself. I certainly hope this doesn't turn into a racial thing which it appears the media is perfectly happy to do.
    The CBS story this morning had a racial slant to it.
    I hadn't heard anything about it until the CBS story this morning.
    Of course CBS played up to the poor innocent teen aspect.
    There weren't many details given, but it really didn't look too good for the shooter. They (CBS) said he called LE and they told him they would handle it,
    but it appears he pursued the teen and confronted him. Nobody knows from that point.
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Senior Moderator
    My recollection from the news coverage here is that a couple witnesses reported the teen was on top of the shooter, beating him.

Sounds to me - and this might be incorrect based on the limited information - like this is a classic example of why someone carrying a gun should also have a less-lethal option available (spray, impact tool, etc.).

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

And as we all know... BG's don't drink iced tea OR eat Skittles!!! Duh
    Honk likes this.
    "Death is lighter than a feather, but Duty is heavier than a mountain" Robert Jordan
    USMC veteran
    Glock 19 Gen 4
    Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    jumbled thoughts--
    being 17 his, if any, juvie record will be sealed and the press is not going to report on any
    aspect of his past--it would undermine his alleged, presumed purity.

the old man likely had some reason ( HOWEVER MISGUIDED)to get out of his car
    either the kid said or did something ( flipped him the bird?) or
    perhaps the block watch guy has a self perception of a mall ninga
    and kinda started in on the (black) kid---what cha doing here?
    resulting in the, ahemm....young man responding in less than the kings english.

proximity leads to pushing (who pushed 1st?---doesn't matter cause) and whats that saying about an
    old man will probably just kill you?
    Last edited by claude clay; March 8th, 2012 at 02:35 PM. Reason: Caps are for those who did not link the 3rd line with these 2
    Be aware, be deliberate in your actions and be accurate.
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

I'm just curious if the shooter had any cuts, bruises or any other signs that would substantiate a altercation had in fact taken place other than what the witnesses reported. Of course you know they are going to make this a race issue, that's a given. The lawyers smell blood.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by claude clay View Post
    jumbled thoughts--
    being 17 his, if any, juvie record will be sealed and the press is not going to report on any

the old man likely had some reason to get out of his car

proximity leads to pushing (who pushed 1st?---doesn't matter cause) and whats that saying about an
    The "old man" is reportedly 26.
    Tuco

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WD54241 View Post
    I'm just curious if the shooter had any cuts, bruises or any other signs that would substantiate a altercation had in fact taken place other than what the witnesses reported. Of course you know they are going to make this a race issue, that's a given. The lawyers smell blood.
    There is blood.
    Tuco

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by claude clay View Post
    jumbled thoughts--

the old man likely had some reason to get out of his car

The shooter was 26, not exactly an "old man".

If you Google the decedent's name, you'll find his facebook page. Amazingly, it doesn't exactly jibe with the saintly image the family's attorney is portraying...

(His FB page contains images not appropriate for this forum, so please do not link it here)
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MattInFla View Post
    The shooter was 26, not exactly an "old man".

If you Google the decedent's name, you'll find his facebook page. Amazingly, it doesn't exactly jibe with the saintly image the family's attorney is portraying...

(His FB page contains images not appropriate for this forum, so please do not link it here)
    Flipper fingers and f-bombs don't put him up there with America's Most Wanted.
    Tuco

Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Links