What to do with my gun over spring break

This is a discussion on What to do with my gun over spring break within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My college's spring break is starting soon and I will be going out of town. I currently live off campus in an apartment where I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: What to do with my gun over spring break

My college's spring break is starting soon and I will be going out of town. I currently live off campus in an apartment where I do not have a safe. I do have a lockbox type thing, but I don't think it is by any means impregnable. A pest control crew will be in my apartment while I am gone, so I am worried about leaving the gun in my apartment. I will be flying out of a bigger city and parking my car in the long-term lot there. My car does not have a locking glove compartment or any real spot where I can safely store the firearm, but I was thinking of using the chamber lock to bolt it to the frame.

What should I do?
    "Though defensive violence will always be a 'sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." - St. Augustine

Distinguished Member Array Elk Hunter's Avatar
    Check with your local gun store, see if they will store it or if they offer a cleaning service drop it off and pick it up when you return. You get a nice clean gun back.
    Superhouse 15 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    Is your CC permit honored where you are going??? Take it with you?
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote Originally Posted by Stubborn View Post
    Is your CC permit honored where you are going??? Take it with you?
    This. An added benefit of flying with your pistol is that you can secure your luggage in such a way that the TSA can't get in to it without your presence.

Quote Originally Posted by tubadude View Post
    This. An added benefit of flying with your pistol is that you can secure your luggage in such a way that the TSA can't get in to it without your presence.
    I agree. I also like the cleaning suggestion to if you can't take it with you. A clean gun is a happy gun?
    "Safety is something that happens between your ears, not something you hold in your hands. " Col. Jeff Cooper

Proud member NRA, VCDL, USPSA, IDPA & DADD ( if you have daughters, you understand )

Yep I would take it with
    Operation Enduring Freedom Veteran

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    Then only time I went on spring break, I carried my gun. While I was out of the country before, I've handcuffed my gun to my seat frame in the airport parking lot as that was my only option.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

Taking it with me is not an option. I checked at the gun store, and they want me to do this tricky thing with a loan. They want me to borrow $20 dollars and put the gun down as collateral. Then come back after my trip, pay back the $20 I borrowed plus $4 interest, and they'll give me my gun back. Does this sound like a good idea to you?
    "Though defensive violence will always be a 'sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." - St. Augustine

Don't know that I like that idea but it could work as long as they have everything 110% in writing.

VIP Member
    Since taking it with you isn't an option, I'd find another gun store/ shooting range/ gunsmith and leave the gun for cleaning.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Walden View Post
    Taking it with me is not an option. I checked at the gun store, and they want me to do this tricky thing with a loan. They want me to borrow $20 dollars and put the gun down as collateral. Then come back after my trip, pay back the $20 I borrowed plus $4 interest, and they'll give me my gun back. Does this sound like a good idea to you?
    Is the FFL a pawnbroker? If so, that's probably a good idea. If not, don't do it. Also you'll have to fill out a 4473 when you pick it up and I'm guessing that's free in Texas.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by Walden View Post
    If they wan't you to take a collateral loan I wouldn't do it for $20, just in case. Can't you leave it with a buddy, or just buy a safe? Could also do a safe deposit box, people always use them for guns and cash (the 2 things your NOT supposed to put it them).

Quote Originally Posted by Honk View Post
    I agree. I also like the cleaning suggestion to if you can't take it with you. A clean gun is a happy gun?
    +1...they always seem to shoot better after a good scrubbing!
    It's Great to be a Florida Gator!

Gene Police: "Hey You! Out of the Pool!

Senior Member Array GoBigOrange's Avatar
    Do you not have any friends or family who would hold it while your gone?

I can hold it for you, where in Texas are you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links