"Relativity" & Waiting Period for CCW Permit Approval

This is a discussion on "Relativity" & Waiting Period for CCW Permit Approval within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I read one of the threads regarding how long people in different states have to wait until their CCW permit is approved. I have been ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By stancehold

Thread: "Relativity" & Waiting Period for CCW Permit Approval

"Relativity" & Waiting Period for CCW Permit Approval

I read one of the threads regarding how long people in different states have to wait until their CCW permit is approved.

I have been wondering what such waiting periods would feel like if the permit applicant had gone through one of the following: Assault/rape, home invasion, car jacking, violent threats to self or family, riots.

I forget who the wit was (?Mark Twain) who said that a few seconds with a beautiful woman passes like the blink of an eye but if a person slipped and placed their hand on a hot radiator for a few seconds, it would feel like an eternity. It seems to me that anyone experiencing any of the negative events above (and many others could be listed, too) would also think that the processing/approval of their CCW permit was taking "an eternity" while they were awaiting its arrival.

I wish there was a way to better motivate people who already see themselves in high risk situations to get the CCW permit process underway before something tragic does happen to them.

Any thought about helping potential CCW holders to "throw the switch" and get it done?

2. Remove Ads

I think anybody that just looks at the statistics would want to carry. But people don't want to know what goes on, ignorance is bliss!

I am in this situation. I choose to remain anonymous here (other than sharing my state), although I realize total anonymity is impossible online. I had previously considered the possible need for CC, but never prioritized it and felt quite safe in our area and situation. I always worked and kept very busy and was situationally aware and made decisions accordingly. We have had a shotgun in the house if needed for home protection, but that was all.

What changed my state of thinking that all was OK? The return of a drug-addicted, family member (meth and narcotics) that is now making threats and is one of those worst nightmares you hear about on TV. He has been through at least 20 treatment programs and has been addicted for decades. He is mobile and the sheriff and police are informed. I have called them once during a crazed, confrontation when he first returned while I was visiting at a relative's home. Deescalation techniques and calling 911 in time made the difference, but only because other relatives arrived quickly and he heard sirens and took off and wasn't captured. He and his friends are a worry even to LEOs in the area. I was trying to keep him from attacking his parents that are elderly and now I have garnered his anger and paranoid fixation.

I scheduled private firearms lessons that same week, took the next CC class, purchased a weapon and began practicing regularly. Most of my family members are doing the same ... except for those who have always seen him through rose colored glasses and not wanted to face the truth. I have consulted with local police and they know the situation. I am well protected at home, but do not have my CCL yet. I am very aware of my surroundings when I am away from the house and have my weapon in the car, unloaded and following our laws. However, when my permit arrives, I will always be carrying concealed. I carry on our farm daily.

I will admit to being very disheartened when first practicing at the range. The knowledge that I was finally getting my CCL and becoming firearm proficient because of the threats of a family member made me very sad. I would hate to ever need to use a firearm on anyone, but I could to save the life of a family member or myself. I have stopped practicing on targets with body outlines and practice on targets with circles, pool balls, bowling pins or other shapes only now. I am now practicing for any situation, not just the threat of my relative. I am also enjoying the aspect of plinking, marksmanship, and other activities with firearms. I am looking forward to skeet shooting eventually.

Meanwhile, I wish I had gotten a CCL earlier. Each day waiting seems very long. Tomorrow is day 58 of the wait. We're just staying home as much as possible until our CCLs arrive and staying very aware. Also, I'm reading, practicing, studying and praying all the while that I will never need to use all that has been learned. But, I am thankful for the chance to be prepared.

Some states have laws that allow people who have been threatened and are at risk to get a permit quick.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    It all comes back to the old saying "You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink." You can advise until your blue in the face, but until the person decides to take responsibility for their own safety, they aren't going to do it.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    It all comes back to the old saying "You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink." You can advise until your blue in the face, but until the person decides to take responsibility for their own safety, they aren't going to do it.
    You may not believe this, but I have never been advised, nor spoken to by another person with a CCL prior to this incident. However, I am aware now and thankful to be in a shall issue state. I am also thankful for all that I have learned these past few months and that I have increased awareness and the possibility of more protection.
    BrotherFrank likes this.

Links